[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Down & Dirty

Tim_Fair

some pics of Johan(jcza) making the spykerbombs...those ones went down like a homesick mole for divernick and myself

Those were lekka! Best thing you can do to a USN Spike!

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For once I decided to make use of the waterpoints along the route and did not take my camelbak..... HUGE mistake - first waterpoint had run out of water by the time we got there and next one 4km before the end and they had just about run out as well - only a few paper cups on the table - fortunately they got more water by thge time we left there. How do you run out of water when you KNOW its going to be HOT and you know you have a ton of cyclists coming past??? The broken bridge crossing was sludge by the time we arrived there but must say - that water was oh-so-refreshing, it was actually a pleasure! And as for the line jumpers - how thick skinned are you when you jump a line and EVERYBODY is commenting?? Someone should have pushed you in the river!! For what its worth - being a slower rider is sometimes more pleasant as we get to go through everything without bottlenecks and que's!!

As far as I know they take your 3 best times and seed you on that. guess they won't be using this one for many people :-( I did this even the first year and never again due to bottlenecks and to be honest not the most interesting trail.

Bring on VG even if you get stuck at some points the trail makes up for it in fun factor.......

As far as I know they take your 3 best times and seed you on that. guess they won't be using this one for many people :-( I did this even the first year and never again due to bottlenecks and to be honest not the most interesting trail.

Bring on VG even if you get stuck at some points the trail makes up for it in fun factor.......

True, won't be doing this one again. VG yes...its a jol and the last one will also be a winner I reckon(some parts of the honda race). Had a friend do his first marathon and he wasn't a happy camper...at one of the watertables he said they refused to fill bottles with water but you could have 5 cups if you want huh? Also the water was warm and not refreshing, nevermind the bottlenecks everywhere. The route was boring...Not advendurance's finest race to be honest.

Since I landed up passing people twice, I wonder if they maybe missed the split and I managed to take it? Because if I did do 3km less I wouldn't have passed them at all for a second time... I started my computer late about 5.72km into the race if I compare to other peoples data... Which means I rode 71.8km in total.

EDIT: click on "Down&Dirty Trailseeker #3 2012"

Measured 71.11km on mine

I've been doing the Nissan Trailseeker events for a few years - back in the day they were the Fritz Pienaar something or other.

My feeling is that they're just getting too big. Sadly it's true of most mtb events - the USN Cup too.

Last year (and especially the year before) you couold pitch up an hour before the start, park within sight of the venue, get to your pen about 20 mimutes before the start and be somewhere near the front.

Now it's - arrive 90 minutes before the start or park on the pavement outside. Get to your start pen at least 30 mins before the start or you're dead last. Passing on the track was relatively straight forward with good banter (mostly :-) between riders - now the paths are so saturated and racing has become so anonymous that everyone is a stranger.

Call me a grump old man but the racing was much more personal and fun "back in the day".

Ironically - chatting to some of the okes that really started in the beginning (Iron, Boosted etc) they say it was even better back in the oooooolde days.

It's great for the sport, TV coverage, sponsorship, range of bikes being imported, extra wheel sizes and such like but I can't help feeling that the sport has gone from a group of interested individuals to a nameless, faceless event.

Makes meeting the hubbers and smashing some spylerbombe all the better - lekker meeting you guys!

Who else had their balls electrocuted? The static disicharge under the power lines was rough. Some other riders also complained but I think all the metal in my body made me an ideal conductor.

Ditto, balls were ok, got it in the hands

I've been doing the Nissan Trailseeker events for a few years - back in the day they were the Fritz Pienaar something or other.

My feeling is that they're just getting too big. Sadly it's true of most mtb events - the USN Cup too.

Last year (and especially the year before) you couold pitch up an hour before the start, park within sight of the venue, get to your pen about 20 mimutes before the start and be somewhere near the front.

Now it's - arrive 90 minutes before the start or park on the pavement outside. Get to your start pen at least 30 mins before the start or you're dead last. Passing on the track was relatively straight forward with good banter (mostly :-) between riders - now the paths are so saturated and racing has become so anonymous that everyone is a stranger.

Call me a grump old man but the racing was much more personal and fun "back in the day".

Ironically - chatting to some of the okes that really started in the beginning (Iron, Boosted etc) they say it was even better back in the oooooolde days.

It's great for the sport, TV coverage, sponsorship, range of bikes being imported, extra wheel sizes and such like but I can't help feeling that the sport has gone from a group of interested individuals to a nameless, faceless event.

Makes meeting the hubbers and smashing some spylerbombe all the better - lekker meeting you guys!

I agree, but it is popular because people like riding fast. Personally I much prefer the more difficult races.

Eldron I want what you had before the race, jeeez you're quick!!

Edd zachery...the course nor the waterpoints could handle the amount of people going through it. Wonder what the final no of participant were for each distance.

Same here boet...reckon spykerbomme is now an institution for every race

Edd zachery...the course nor the waterpoints could handle the amount of people going through it. Wonder what the final no of participant were for each distance.

Same here boet...reckon spykerbomme is now an institution for every race

I would like to see a min of 1500m of climbing for the 70km or a longer race. It's just too easy. Yes you're right there are too many people but I'm sure the organisers love the revenue streaming in.

At the rate we're consuming the USN Spike I have enough for this year and next year. Between all of us we finished half a can of Spike

best you stay at my place the night before to make sure...

I think that's a good idea! Keep me in line!

How about a VG ride on saturday?

I would like to see a min of 1500m of climbing for the 70km or a longer race. It's just too easy. Yes you're right there are too many people but I'm sure the organisers love the revenue streaming in.

At the rate we're consuming the USN Spike I have enough for this year and next year. Between all of us we finished half a can of Spike

Yea climbing sorts the people out quick quick....I agree 1200+m will be perfect. I measured something like 750 I think, which isn't enough.

Bring it on...next VG nissan it going to be cracker