Wax or Oil based Lube. Which is best?

Greg29

Just wanted to get the general view on which lubes are preferred. Wax or Oil based? I have used both and wax certainly keeps my chain cleaner but is a hassle if the trail is a bit wet. Also not so fond on the whole 'drying time' after applying it.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wax for me - I use Squirt and am extremely happy with it. In the dry.

Wet requires a more sticky formula - Squirt is not that good in the wet. Oil based for wet I reckon.

Wax here - Muc-off

Other lubes I use : Boshield, Finishline

Worst by far ito mess - motorex

Edited by rouxtjie

Oil is best, I have been experimenting with various oils and currently use plain old gear oil 80w90 which is nice and sticky. leave it in the sun or keep it warm or else it is a bit thick to apply. apply to your chain the night before ,spin your drivetrain a few times , leave to stand overnight and then wipe the excess off before your ride. Much cheaper than all the snakeoil that`s being sold for more than premium whisky and probably better. Especially in the wet.

Wax is easy to clean( this may also indicate that it doesn`t hold up to well i.m.o.) . White lightning endurance seems good but needs frequent application.

Wax for me - I use Squirt and am extremely happy with it. In the dry.

Wet requires a more sticky formula - Squirt is not that good in the wet. Oil based for wet I reckon.

+1 on Squirt

Oil is best, I have been experimenting with various oils and currently use plain old gear oil 80w90 which is nice and sticky. leave it in the sun or keep it warm or else it is a bit thick to apply. apply to your chain the night before ,spin your drivetrain a few times , leave to stand overnight and then wipe the excess off before your ride. Much cheaper than all the snakeoil that`s being sold for more than premium whisky and probably better. Especially in the wet.

Wax is easy to clean( this may also indicate that it doesn`t hold up to well i.m.o.) . White lightning endurance seems good but needs frequent application.

Don't you find oil based lubricantd attract dirt/dust? I tried a few and pretty much needed to clean my drivetrain after every ride (some people say you should anyway!).

With Wax (and specifically Squirt) I only lube my road bike every 6 or 7th ride and it stays clean. MTB every second ride.

Wet is, of course, a different case.

What do you guys use to clean all those hard to reach places.

I have one of those power washers but I always find it such a shlep to haul the thing out the garage , plug the hose in , plug it in. then hose for 30 secs .

The set up time is 5 times longer than the actual job, So most of the time I use a small hard bristle hand broom.

I've also been experimenting with various lubes and oils. So far the best I have found is a Motul product called chain paste - it's pretty much a mixture between wax and oil, but you brush it on (has its own applicator). Best part is there is no overspray on your rim and minimal waste.....

I'm an oily character myself. That Q10 stuff (the old 3-in-1 in disguise) though I used to use motor oil. Yeah, it's messy and it gets everything black, but I've never bust a chain or had mechanicals in some 40 (very) odd years of riding.

You also don't need to re-apply every 100kms or whatever.

But to clarify, I'm talking road bikes. I think I'd still use it on an MTB. I can't think that it attracts any more dust than a sticky, waxy lubricant (which I tried at one stage but hated. Now I only use it to lube nuts and bolts).

Wax - Squirt - Most of the time my riding is in dry and dusty conditions. I keep a small bottle of wet lub in my bag for longer rides.

My one gripe is that they make the Squirt bottles too small, how about a 500ml / 1lt bottle guys?

oil ,use chainsaw oil, always remove chain ,clean, apply,let settle in ,remove excess,make sure jockeys clean,etc.

use quick link,fit.

do this regulary depending on riding conditions.works for me.

I'm an oily character myself. That Q10 stuff (the old 3-in-1 in disguise) though I used to use motor oil. Yeah, it's messy and it gets everything black, but I've never bust a chain or had mechanicals in some 40 (very) odd years of riding.

You also don't need to re-apply every 100kms or whatever.

But to clarify, I'm talking road bikes. I think I'd still use it on an MTB. I can't think that it attracts any more dust than a sticky, waxy lubricant (which I tried at one stage but hated. Now I only use it to lube nuts and bolts).

I also presume you're talking about bicycles, and not other lubes.

What do you guys use to clean all those hard to reach places.

I have one of those power washers but I always find it such a shlep to haul the thing out the garage , plug the hose in , plug it in. then hose for 30 secs .

The set up time is 5 times longer than the actual job, So most of the time I use a small hard bristle hand broom.

idont like power cleaners in case they get into bearings etc. I use the ol finger on the end of the hose for the chainset - then afterwards i clean with a brush and some clean green. The hard to reach spots i use an old toothbrush

for road use i reckon wax based lube is great - performance is fine (i don't exactly get much mud on the drivetrain you understand) but more importantly it's so much easier to clean off (just need a damp rag with sunlight liquid) and reapply afterwards. done.

Edited by nuge