The Great (Winter) Tyre Debate....

Da Vinci

Hiya!

I am (Very) new to Mtb and my current tyres have come to the end of their shelf life...

Also am wanting to convert to Tubeless....

Ride mostly in the D'ville hills XC and ST but like to get out and explore. Riding Houw Hoek Tour in May and am training for K2C.

Still a bit Nervous (Ok a bit more than just a bit) so def want good grip, speed less of an issue -just got 2 get fitter!

Recommendations so far:

Kenda Nevagal,

Specialized captain controls (Can't seem to find them tho!)

Continental mountain kings

Rocket Rons

Racing Ralphs

Knobby Nics.

Goods and Bads please - lets say price is not an issue but a good value tyre is important....

Also back, front combos to look at...

Thanx

:)

If 26"

conti mountain king 2.4 front

Conti X king 2.4 rear..

Volume/traction/ decent rolling

together they are pretty all round

Look at the Geax range of tires too. Currently running the Saguaro (2.20) in front and Mezcal (2.10) at the back. Good grip and rolling resistance. Good value for money.

I normally ride Kenda Nevegals or Excavators around all the Cape single track. They are heavy and rolling resistance is high, but they grip like hell under just about any conditions and the UST versions are tough as nails. Since I ride for fun and normally don't hurry, they work well.

For the Wine 2 Whales last year, I got Racing Ralphs. They grip reasonably well, but it took a few rides to learn their behaviour before I felt confident on them. The BIG plus is that they roll a lot better and are a lot lighter than the Nevegals. They also have relatively soft tread, which give the good grip with small knobs, but they will not give huge mileage. The UST versions have tough enough side walls that they handled rocky terrain without getting side wall cuts.

I also tried Kenda Small Block Eights, but didn't like how they gripped, or rather didn't grip. Same goes for Maxxis Larsen TTs, they worked like a cross between a banana peel and a bar of soap.

Hope this helps.

If 26"

conti mountain king 2.4 front

Conti X king 2.4 rear..

Volume/traction/ decent rolling

together they are pretty all round

agree but the 2.2 version will suffice too.. also get the mountain king II much better than the old ones

Been using the 2'2 saguaro front and back for some time.

Grip is more than decent and rolls very well.

Wear is good and in the tnt versions are very reliable.

Fanx All!!

Top of the list is now Mountain King II Protection - jus don't know if 2.2 or 2.4 - prob need 2 ask my LBS what will work on the bike (if it makes a difference). For a front Tyre

Currently running 2.1 Maxxis Crossmarks and did Argus on them so a bit worried 2.4 will be 2 much tyre for the Dirt Road stuff (think K2C) or am i wrong there??

And then X King Protection for rear - assumably the same width as the front....

Man there is sooo much 2 learn and figured out.... :blush:

Rocket Ron front Racing Ralph back for winter and Houw Hoek. For Karoo2Coast Ralphs front and back.

Tip - you want as much rubber as you can (makes for a better ride, and offers a bigger contact patch. Will also behave better under stress than a slimmer tyre. I've got a 2.2 WTB wolverine at the back and a 2.3 WTB WEIRWOLF at the front. They're both the same size as the 2.5 Minions on my DH bike, so sizes can be misleading.

The new Conti sizing is far more generous, but you would likely find the 2.2 a bit too little tyre for you if you like thrashing it a bit.

I'd go 2.4 personally...

BTW - My combo is all year round. I like as much grip as I can get, and the Weirwolf has that in spades...

Edited by cptmayhem