sani2c - newbie questions

-Gazza-

So, on the advice of Rouxtjie we went to Breedtsnek from Van Gaalens on Saturday. Only went to the top and not up and over and still did over 100kms. Going back on Saturday to go up and over and back- from the BP.

27 days to lift off! Can not wait!

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another "odd" question maybe! I bought a Tura Soft bike bag from Buycycle with 29er wheelbags. So last night I did the experimental packing of the bike in the bag! OMG! It seems you have to take the whole bike apart! Am I correct in assuming you have to take the handlebar and stem off, setapost off, rear derailleur and hanger off and maybe even pedals? And must the wheelbags still fit into the bag with the bike? PLEASE tell me this works!

I'm really keen to do it next year, what is recommended regarding type of bike? Full sus 26" ok or a hard tails better? Im no pro.. But worried about weight of full sus. By next year will probably have moved to a 29" .... Wife permitting hehe

You can't compare the 2 courses, but I would say Rietvlei is far more technical in sections

Provinsional profiles are up on Sani2C's facebook page :-)

Day 1 looks harder than last year if you look at the total climbing.

Day 2 looks "easier" if you read the stats. I've decided to ignore the section between 40 and 65km's.

Day 3 - I'm looking forward to this one.

I was told to bring along atleast two spokes, is this needed?

Done 2 Sani's and never needed a spoke, besides do you know how to fit one on the trail? If one goes just twist it around the one next to it and book you bike in for a service at the over night stop.

This being my first Sani I need to ask some dumb Q's from time to time. How is our baggage, i.e. bike bags and stuff transported from Underberg to Scottburgh? Do the organisers take it down?

You can book a driver to take your car down, otherwise you need a mate to take it for you. Race organizers will only transport your box between the overnight stops.

Hi all. How technical is the Sani2C? How does it compare to Rietvlei up in Jhb ?

If you can through Riervlei comfortably you'll be fine, Sani is not too technical. Worry more about the hills on D2.

Just seen the new route profiles for SANI2C 2012.

Seems that day two and three are way easier. Day one is harder but the overall route looks like less of a challenge.

The only way to know will be to ride. still looking forward to this event as I am a proudly SANI2C newbie.

post-5200-0-53692000-1335168176.jpg

post-5200-0-03386000-1335168194.jpg

post-5200-0-31488700-1335168215.jpg

Problem with day 2 last year was that they made the starting batches 10mins instead of 5mins, and then instituted a cut off time as it gets darker sooner in May than March (as it used to be). So you make the slower guys start later, and they have to finish sooner.

Which is why I suspect they have make day 2 flatter.

And that rocky chute near the end - can happily live without that.

Problem with day 2 last year was that they made the starting batches 10mins instead of 5mins, and then instituted a cut off time as it gets darker sooner in May than March (as it used to be). So you make the slower guys start later, and they have to finish sooner.

Which is why I suspect they have make day 2 flatter.

And that rocky chute near the end - can happily live without that.

There will be no more Rocky session look out for Charlies CAT walk specifically constructed for us cyclists

I am a bit confused.......do we not get accommodation the night before the race? If not how far is the drive from JHB to the start?

I am a bit confused.......do we not get accommodation the night before the race? If not how far is the drive from JHB to the start?

Nope you have to sort that out yourself...in Underberg if you can, you dont want to drive 2 hours to get to an early start on day1.

PS start phoning now...hopefully someone has cancelled their accom

Nope you have to sort that out yourself...in Underberg if you can, you dont want to drive 2 hours to get to an early start on day1.

PS start phoning now...hopefully someone has cancelled their accom

You have to be there the day before the race to register and receive and pack your box you cannot pitch on race day