cape epic 29er hard tail vs full suss

mr HED

You will be spending 8 hard days on the bike. Why get even more fatigued on a HT. Rather go full suss and take the additional weight penalty over the comfort. I would rather ride an Ali dual than a carbon HT over the Epic terrain.

Rode Jonkers this weekend with a mate and we swapped bikes for a part of the ride. I let him ride my dual and I rode his HT. It gave me the chance to ride the rocky singletrack with both my dual and his HT. No contest in terms of both speed and comfort for myself.

The big advantage with a dual is that you can bull***t yourself as to how good a rider you are as you can usually get away with taking a wrong line.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Few years back 2 guys from Kenya riding 26" Trek 4500 HT's Deore specced, V brakes and RS Judy fork got top 10 Epic GC position.

I heard a pink nishiki finished the first race

I heard a pink nishiki finished the first race

Mate of mine did it on a Game bike in 2005.

People take this race way too seriously.

I can say this as I did it on a 26HT with V-brakes.

IMO

Ideally if you can afford it, a 29r full suspension bike, a good compromise for comfort and reliability would be a HT 29r and easier on a budget.

Any well serviced bike in good working order can make it though.

If you buying a bike just for the Epic look at the 29er DS. If you want to ride in some shorter races and stuff on a nice bike, which 80 % of your riding is likely to be the look at a great spec 29er HT. 8 days of comfort for many months of paying...

Mates did Freedom trail on old 26 inch HT alu, 25 days rides, 20 kg bikes and gear.