cape epic 29er hard tail vs full suss

mr HED

hi guys

managed to get an entry to epic 2013. aiming to be a mid-pack finisher (please lord).

R35 000 budget, do i go for low weight and go 29 Hard tail or comfort and a 29er full suss??? R40k for hardtail would give me a power machine, R35k for full suss would be an ok machine

has as anyone done it on both?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What size are you? I have a low weight full sus carbon Tallboy coming up for sale around your price range. Best of both worlds!

hi guys

managed to get an entry to epic 2013. aiming to be a mid-pack finisher (please lord).

R35 000 budget, do i go for low weight and go 29 Hard tail or comfort and a 29er full suss??? R40k for hardtail would give me a power machine, R35k for full suss would be an ok machine

has as anyone done it on both?

35k Dual Suss would be all the bike you need, not an 'ok' machine.

I trained for the epic on hardtail and realised with some of the longer training weekends that a HT is not the way to go, switched to dual and it was a godsend. HT are only for those at the sharp end of the field. A R35 K budget for a dual susser will give you more than enough bike.

Get a full suspension. If you are aiming to finish mid-pack, the top end hard tail will not be beneficial to you in my opinion. I have done two Epic's and both times i have been so thankful for having a dual-suss 29er. I have had a hardtail 29er as well but it is definitely a much harsher ride. So in short, go for comfort for a stage race like the Epic.

Not so 'long ago' 29" HT's were touted as pretty much as good as a 26" FS oh how times have changed (or rather lighter/better geometry 29" FS have become available ;) )

What size are you? I have a low weight full sus carbon Tallboy coming up for sale around your price range. Best of both worlds!

I'm holding my breath, Big JD! When you putting it in the classifieds?

Full suss is the way to go for Epic. Even the pro's agree. See comments made by Evans and George. Bulls only rode HT because their full sussers weren't ready in time.

Im not so sure - I attempted the epic on a 29er dual sus (Giant Anthem X1) and got to day 6...granted I was under cooked and a novice (1st stage race) and was one of the back markers...I know have a entry into 2013 epic and will most certainly be in much better condition and will be riding a 29 HT which will be sub 10kg.

Not so 'long ago' 29" HT's were touted as pretty much as good as a 26" FS oh how times have changed (or rather lighter/better geometry 29" FS have become available ;) )

Someone also called them clown bikes :whistling:

i am 1m87cm. usually a large bud. why you selling a tallboy?

you only have to ask yourself the following two questions, do you want to have a soft comfy ride or do you want to have a hard ride? I currently have a 29er hardtail but i think for the epic a DS 29er will be so much nicer, my 2c.

I did the epic (2009) on a hardtail alu 26er, hardass!

Edited by koukie

I trained for the epic on hardtail and realised with some of the longer training weekends that a HT is not the way to go, switched to dual and it was a godsend. HT are only for those at the sharp end of the field. A R35 K budget for a dual susser will give you more than enough bike.

thanks thats really helpful, may i ask was it an alloy or carbon full suss bike ?

you only have to ask yourself the following two questions, do you want to have a soft comfy ride or do you want to have a hard ride? I currently have a 29er hardtail but i think for the epic a DS 29er will be so much nicer, my 2c.

I did the epic (2009) on a hardtail alu 26er, hardass!

i have a 26er giant anthem x1 and a ritchey p29er hardtail. have to say the big wheels are nice but the giant does fly down the hills with the extra padding,