cape epic 29er hard tail vs full suss

mr HED

how about this scenario - if you can afford a dual sus like the pros ride i.e. in excess of 60k which weigh around the 10kg mark, then fine, if not then buy a HT tail that weighs pretty much the same. There is alot of climbing/pushing so the lighter the bike the better and Ht in my opinion climb better (atleast in my limited experience?)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're still wanting to love cycling after the Epic then there's only one choice - full sus 29'er. i've done 4 Epics - the last two on a dual-sus 29'er and I still love my bike!

how about this scenario - if you can afford a dual sus like the pros ride i.e. in excess of 60k which weigh around the 10kg mark, then fine, if not then buy a HT tail that weighs pretty much the same. There is alot of climbing/pushing so the lighter the bike the better and Ht in my opinion climb better (atleast in my limited experience?)

thats exactly my main question with the budget constraints, buying a Spez 29 epic sworks will be the answer, but i have to eat to train :). will 35k buy you a good enough full suss 29er for 17 000m of climbing?

If you're still wanting to love cycling after the Epic then there's only one choice - full sus 29'er. i've done 4 Epics - the last two on a dual-sus 29'er and I still love my bike!

what bike is it that bring so much promised joy?

thats exactly my main question with the budget constraints, buying a Spez 29 epic sworks will be the answer, but i have to eat to train :). will 35k buy you a good enough full suss 29er for 17 000m of climbing?

We are in the same boat - thats why I choose to go the Hardtail route - top of the range light Hard Tail, when you are pushing your bike lighter is better, when actually riding the climbs and they are hectic in comparison to anything u find in JHB, lighter is better...perhaps this will change as my training intensifies but at this time its the route I have choosen

I agree .But 9 days of shaking on a Ht is no fun.Hands and lower back takes a beating

A colleague of mine did it on a Giant Anthem 26 which he bought second hand for 10K and loved the ride. Another friend of mine spent 50K on a Tallboy ... also loved the ride...but afterwards admitted that they got totally swept up and carried away by the hype of it all and completely overspent and overgunned themselves on equipment.

Long story short...you don't have a spend a fortune to have a jol.

A colleague of mine did it on a Giant Anthem 26 which he bought second hand for 10K and loved the ride. Another friend of mine spent 50K on a Tallboy ... also loved the ride...but afterwards admitted that they got totally swept up and carried away by the hype of it all and completely overspent and overgunned themselves on equipment.

Long story short...you don't have a spend a fortune to have a jol.

I actually agree with this comment - the epic is tough, if u not prepared it will unpleasant on any bike - put the time and effort in and you will "enjoy" it - i use the word enjoy very losely...

I actually agree with this comment - the epic is tough, if u not prepared it will unpleasant on any bike - put the time and effort in and you will "enjoy" it - i use the word enjoy very losely...

agreed! its all in the legs and mind, the equipment helps but is not the end all and be all.

i am 1m87cm. usually a large bud. why you selling a tallboy?

I love the Tallboy, but I have just pulled the trigger on a Spez Epic so going to give that a whirl for the time being. The Tallboy is a Large.

I did most of my training on a 29er HT but rode a 26" FS at the epic because I wanted a bike that was affordable, light and can go downhill. I can't tell you how many 29er HTs I passed on the downhills. For 35k you can get a very nice 26" FS - just saying

I did Epic last year on a 2007 Epic S-works and my boet on a 2011 Niner carbon HT - we were both 'fine' .....

I did most of my training on a 29er HT but rode a 26" FS at the epic because I wanted a bike that was affordable, light and can go downhill. I can't tell you how many 29er HTs I passed on the downhills. For 35k you can get a very nice 26" FS - just saying

i have a giant anthem x1 26er already! maybe its time to dust off the webs..

Of course it will.

You said you are going for midpack results. Then there are no use to going for a racer machine over a comfortable bike.

I think you will choose comfort over racy by day5 if you had the choice than.

Don't over estimate the value added by the bike.

And a smartly specced 35k fully will probably be only 1kg heavier than the HT. Totally worth it for the bumps.