Coffee machine

I had use of a Nespresso mini for about a year, fantastic quality and choice of flavours.

However, about 6 months ago I was wandering thru Checkers of all places and they had a Sienna Caffelux pod machine on special at R999. Same pressure rating and its own range of pods, 5 different flavours. It also takes the Nespresso pods.

As good as the Nespresso, good foam on the presentation. We have a separate frother plus minus R80 that completes the package. I only use filtered water as I believe this is the key.

When I use instant the best in my opinion is Jacobs Kronung.

Yah, seems its a bit of a copy of the Nespresso, I have heard its fine.

The only issue as I understand is the CaffeLuxe pods SOMETIMES melt in the Nespresso machine as they use a different closure system and can cause a real problem, the guys at the Sandton Nespresso shop said they get quite a few machines in for repair with melted Caffeluxe pods stuck in the system, Nespresso also voids the warranty if they find you have been using the generic pods, but if you use Nespresso pods in the CaffeLuxe machine I recon it will be just as good.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip thanks GB I'm looking forward to it!

Must say that the little Krups isn't doing too badly for what it is, but the inconsistency is quite obvious.

Starting to get some better foam, poured a sort of artistic looking trampled flower :lol:

Best video to watch for steaming technique..

http://vimeo.com/63338928#at=0

And a good one for Latte art pouring

http://vimeo.com/66343904#at=0

As to the Single group Slayer - very much a depends - but about 7000USD each plus shipping, duties and taxes. Should be able to hand that on to grandchildren in perfect working order...

Any group buy at the moment I am interested V12. I am in big trouble this side

I am happy to put together a group buy on the Slayer - but need at least 3 more people to commit, and be able to fund in excess of R70 000 each - not to say it will be that, but it certainly will be around that number. PM me if you are interested..

My wife will shoot me if I bring home a slayer..... maybe I will get 3 months of silent treatment or more... bliss... :)

Weight weenie can organise a group buy on the NS machine.... he just bought one and he should be able to reverse engineer his into the deal too - although it is a really good price he got anyway - ok the machine is RED...

GBGuy - at least I was able to persuade WW on 2 things - 1 - not to buy an SBDU machine, and that a second hand SJ is better than his krups...

Hmm. Bitten off more than I can chew then. My wife would have a fit. Oh well one day.

The NS Oscar is a LOT less - like 12k new out the box - the Slayer is in a different class, but it will take 2 - 5 years of espresso drinking to be able to consistently tell the taste difference to the Oscar - given the same grinder.

I just like what it looks like... and given I have an excess of machines already, I doubt I will buy one in the foreseeable future - unless there are 3 other geeks out there who want one.... I might be able to negotiate a good enough discount to make it seem like a good thing to have...

Thanks V12 man. Started learning about coffee a few years back. A friend got on my case about my instant coffee habit. Started with a plunger, then a 1k machine, then a Breville which is now finished.

I'm simply not ready for a 70K machine but I am ready for a12K machine with a good grinder.

It's been a fun journey and its not over.

Thanks for the help and advice.

I'm simply not ready for a 70K machine but I am ready for a12K machine with a good grinder.

It's been a fun journey and its not over.

Thanks for the help and advice.

The fun starts with a good grinder - better to buy a 12k grinder and a 6k machine than the other way around.

Think commercial grinder and home use machine and you will be good :) Just check with your wife first that she will give you counter space somewhere...

Thanks for the vids V12

No worries - bit too much air in your milk I suspect looking at your photo - same thing I did for your coffee somewhat unintentionally.

No worries - bit too much air in your milk I suspect looking at your photo - same thing I did for your coffee somewhat unintentionally.

Yip, that Oscar has quite the steam power to it! But better that than weak steam from a SBDU :)

I am happy to put together a group buy on the Slayer - but need at least 3 more people to commit, and be able to fund in excess of R70 000 each - not to say it will be that, but it certainly will be around that number. PM me if you are interested..

My wife will shoot me if I bring home a slayer..... maybe I will get 3 months of silent treatment or more... bliss... :)

Weight weenie can organise a group buy on the NS machine.... he just bought one and he should be able to reverse engineer his into the deal too - although it is a really good price he got anyway - ok the machine is RED...

GBGuy - at least I was able to persuade WW on 2 things - 1 - not to buy an SBDU machine, and that a second hand SJ is better than his krups...

Happy Martin I will PM you about the machine.

Hi guys,

I just need some advice, I am looking to better home coffee. At the moment I have instant coffee, I am not looking for the best cup of coffee in the world just a decent cup. I have these two options:

1: caffelux pod machine 6months old in perfect condition (from a hubber). To be used with nespresso pods.

2: nespresso essenza apparently just over a year old (off gumtree).

I'm guessing most will say the nespresso machine I am just concerned about the state of the "I hardly used it" machine. Gumtree also bugs me a bit with electronic items.

What should I do here?

Hi guys,

I just need some advice, I am looking to better home coffee. At the moment I have instant coffee, I am not looking for the best cup of coffee in the world just a decent cup. I have these two options:

1: caffelux pod machine 6months old in perfect condition (from a hubber). To be used with nespresso pods.

I'm guessing most will say the nespresso machine I am just concerned about the state of the "I hardly used it" machine. Gumtree also bugs me a bit with electronic items.

What should I do here?

Some advice based on experience. I was in the market for a machine a while ago and was told to look on Gumtree. There are a lot of people that buy stuff and after a few months realise that it isn't what they were looking for. I picked up a Delonghi Icona (5 months old) for around R800 (Retail at that stage was considerably more. Think the buyer paid around R1400 on a Hirsch special).

Don't be afraid to haggle. There isn't a very big demand for second hand coffee machines....

Personally I am not a big fan of pod machines though.

WTF!!! You guys are spending 70k on a coffee machine? Will you adopt me? #SMH

Hi guys,

What should I do here?

Lots of of different ways to make coffee that don't cost much ie. Aeropress.

But I guess they take more time and PT than Nespresso.

Hi guys,

What should I do here?

You can try these guys

http://www.aquaspresso.co.za/index.php/home-coffee/bean-to-cup-

and rent a machine for a while and see if it's something you want before you buy anything.

You can rent a bean to cup or a pod machine - and the best part they deliver pods /beans to you free of charge anywhere - even if its small order amounts.