Coffee machine

I don't know how big that scoop is.... but I usually use 30g of coffee in mine - seems to work for me in the Aeropress - not that I use it a lot, but I did fiddle a bit with it when I got it - my grinder is set to deliver 10g at a time if I use the hopper, so 20g was too little and 40g too much for my taste... what I really want to get is one of those PID kettles... but SWMBO vetoed that in the kitchen in addition to the general use kettle - fortunately in Jhb water boils at 95.5 degrees odd, so boiling the kettle and pouring it as soon as the bubbles have stopped works for me - probably about 94.5 - 95 degrees during the pour. (and I did measure it with my IR tire temp gauge... just to be certain :) )

I have weighed the contents of the Aeropress scoop using different beans, and it is usually around 14-16g per scoop.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer - I don't drink coffee at all. Not for health or any other reasons other than I just don't particularly like the taste.

I want to buy my wife a Nespresso (or similar) machine as a gift. She's no serious coffee aficionado, but she enjoys her daily cappuccino or late.

Which model is the best? I can get my head around spending R3-4k, but not R10k+.

Thanks

Disclaimer - I don't drink coffee at all. Not for health or any other reasons other than I just don't particularly like the taste.

I want to buy my wife a Nespresso (or similar) machine as a gift. She's no serious coffee aficionado, but she enjoys her daily cappuccino or late.

Which model is the best? I can get my head around spending R3-4k, but not R10k+.

Thanks

I have this one. http://www.nespresso.com/lattissima/?l=jp_en

Does everything and it is at a good price from Dion Wired at the moment.

Here it is in the Dion Wired catalog but not at the special price. I think they are 3850 or there about.

Edited by krl747

I have 3 4 (forgot about the kettle and instant coffee - *sick smiley*) machines to make coffee...

1. Bialetti Mooka (cappuccino/latte maker), pros - makes a nice cup, cons - only 1 cup every 7-10 minutes.

2. Russell Hobbs (filter coffee) - it's like making instant coffee with ground beans, nice but not great.

3. Ariete espresso maker (purchased in 2008 in Italy and just about at the end of it's normal working life). can only make a double espresso, also every 5-7 minutes.

4. the kettle (for instant coffee/tea) - this is like drinking dirty dish water.

While I like the Nespresso concept of instant coffee, I am not a fan of:

1. The price per cup.

2. Being tied to one brand of coffee, even though they have differing flavours and strengths.

I have therefore written off the idea of getting a Nespresso machine, and prefer to seek the advice of the more experience coffee makers out there.

I'm also not a fan of the bean-to-cup automatic coffee makers, but I don't want to fork out R2K for a "cheap" espresso maker only to find out in 3-5 years time, it gets binned just like my Ariete. A more expensive espresso maker is almost the same price as the semi/automatic bean-to-cup units.

I've had a look at the Breville bes860 from @Home, which is currently retailing for R5500, but at the end of the day it's an electronic espresso maker, with a bean grinder on top. I have a bean grinder and it works for me - so I only need to upgrade my coffee machine.

What machines would you consider, with a budget less than R10K?

My criteria is:

1. produce a good quality crema (part getting the right grind, part machine)

2. have the ability to make more than 2 cups within a reasonable time, not every day, but at least twice a week.

3. steaming of milk is important, but not as important as the coffee.

I

3. Ariete espresso maker (purchased in 2008 in Italy and just about at the end of it's normal working life). can only make a double espresso, also every 5-7 minutes.

What machines would you consider, with a budget less than R10K?

Can you post a picture of that machine please - there are several out there called Ariete - a couple of which are VERY interesting.

R10k is a very difficult price point for espresso machines - there is not much out there that is in that bracket that is not a SBDU machine - and thus frustrating to use if you make lot of milk drinks - BUT - if you have patience, low usage patterns (or are an espresso drinker), then they are very usable - a machine like the Maverick plus on this page - http://www.importalia.co.za/domestic_office_isomac.html - which incorporates a grinder is pretty usable (I have it's much modified older brother at work) and would last probably forever in your usage pattern - if you want to understand the difference in quality to a brand like the Breville - just compare the weights of the machines

I think that BES800 will never give you a consistent cup, and with the effort involved in making espresso that's hardly worth looking at.

You should also seriously consider a super Automatic bean to cup machine - there are several you can get for under 10k that will last for many many years at your rate of coffee making. Stick with a good brand - Jura, Siemens, Bosch, DeLongi, Gaggia etc.

The other alternative you can consider is spending your money on a great grinder and trying an Aeropress, or one of the many pourover systems like the Hario V60, Kalita Wave etc..

V12 is correct , in

that price range you're looking at a single boiler machine. But seeing as you already have a grinder, have you looked at the Nuova simonelli Oscar? Weight Weenie has one and speaks highly of it. There are also tons of positive reviews on the machine. Have a look at Seattle Coffee Gear and Coffee Geek on both the Web and You Tube. In fact I'm in the process of getting one myself! For value for money , I don't think you could do better for a new machine. Maybe V12 can chip in here, way more knowledgeable than me! You will have to up your budget ever so slightly though.

For value for money i

V12 is correct , in

that price range you're looking at a single boiler machine. But seeing as you already have a grinder, have you looked at the Nuova simonelli Oscar? Weight Weenie has one and speaks highly of it. There are also tons of positive reviews on the machine. Have a look at Seattle Coffee Gear and Coffee Geek on both the Web and You Tube. In fact I'm in the process of getting one myself! For value for money , I don't think you could do better for a new machine. Maybe V12 can chip in here, way more knowledgeable than me! You will have to up your budget ever so slightly though.

For value for money i

Well... he did say less than 10k.... I am of course of the opinion that a 3 group LaMarzocco Strada EP is value for money... (at the price of a small Porsche) and rumour has it there will be a single group one similar coming...

To me - the key thing here is the usage - 2 coffees twice a week... NEVER going to keep coffee fresh without wasting a lot.... and truth be told - the super auto's do a passable job with stale (relative term I know) coffee - and they are dead easy to use too - my wife's favourite kitchen appliance.... and mostly under 10k

Right - time for Espresso - then time to ride....

Can you post a picture of that machine please - there are several out there called Ariete - a couple of which are VERY interesting.

It's the red one - a EUR 94.00 machine

post-1372-0-32004100-1377767838_thumb.png

R10k is a very difficult price point for espresso machines - there is not much out there that is in that bracket that is not a SBDU machine - and thus frustrating to use if you make lot of milk drinks - BUT - if you have patience, low usage patterns (or are an espresso drinker), then they are very usable - a machine like the Maverick plus on this page - http://www.importali...ice_isomac.html - which incorporates a grinder is pretty usable (I have it's much modified older brother at work) and would last probably forever in your usage pattern - if you want to understand the difference in quality to a brand like the Breville - just compare the weights of the machines

I think that BES800 will never give you a consistent cup, and with the effort involved in making espresso that's hardly worth looking at.

You should also seriously consider a super Automatic bean to cup machine - there are several you can get for under 10k that will last for many many years at your rate of coffee making. Stick with a good brand - Jura, Siemens, Bosch, DeLongi, Gaggia etc.

The other alternative you can consider is spending your money on a great grinder and trying an Aeropress, or one of the many pourover systems like the Hario V60, Kalita Wave etc..

I picked that up in the online reviews.

I quite like the reviews out there for the ENA Micro 9 One Touch and the some of the Delonghi range (just not sure which of the many models available would be suitable - there are a lot of different machines from R6K to R10K).

I've tried the aeropress concept but I liken the taste to filter coffee. Perhaps it's due to the coffee machine available at the factory (below)

post-1372-0-05007200-1377769534_thumb.jpg

V12 is correct , in that price range you're looking at a single boiler machine. But seeing as you already have a grinder, have you looked at the Nuova simonelli Oscar? Weight Weenie has one and speaks highly of it. There are also tons of positive reviews on the machine. Have a look at Seattle Coffee Gear and Coffee Geek on both the Web and You Tube. In fact I'm in the process of getting one myself! For value for money , I don't think you could do better for a new machine. Maybe V12 can chip in here, way more knowledgeable than me! You will have to up your budget ever so slightly though.

For value for money i

The Ariete still makes a good (reasonable) espresso but I'm the only one that drinks an espresso, but is limited in the amount it can make and then the frustrating waiting period.

The steam wand is only good to blow bubbles in the milk.

It's the red one - a EUR 94.00 machine

post-1372-0-32004100-1377767838_thumb.png

Cool toy :) just fix it - or if you don't want it, I will take it... mostly because I like what it looks like...

Well... he did say less than 10k.... I am of course of the opinion that a 3 group LaMarzocco Strada EP is value for money... (at the price of a small Porsche) and rumour has it there will be a single group one similar coming...

To me - the key thing here is the usage - 2 coffees twice a week... NEVER going to keep coffee fresh without wasting a lot.... and truth be told - the super auto's do a passable job with stale (relative term I know) coffee - and they are dead easy to use too - my wife's favourite kitchen appliance.... and mostly under 10k

Right - time for Espresso - then time to ride....

More than two cups at a time, at least twice a week.

I drink most of my coffee at work, but we (the family) are very hospitable and have people over at least once a week, sometimes twice, hence the "more than 2 cups at a time". It could be as high as 10 cups in a single serving.

Right - time for Espresso - then time to ride count stock....

I picked that up in the online reviews.

I quite like the reviews out there for the ENA Micro 9 One Touch and the some of the Delonghi range (just not sure which of the many models available would be suitable - there are a lot of different machines from R6K to R10K).

I've tried the aeropress concept but I liken the taste to filter coffee. Perhaps it's due to the coffee machine available at the factory (below)

post-1372-0-05007200-1377769534_thumb.jpg

The Ariete still makes a good (reasonable) espresso but I'm the only one that drinks an espresso, but is limited in the amount it can make and then the frustrating waiting period.

The steam wand is only good to blow bubbles in the milk.

The whole Ena range is very nice - but the 3 and 5 are a fair bit cheaper than a 9, and there is minimal difference - go and test one out before you decide which way to go - on Hans Strydom at the entrance to Kaya Sands is the importer - and they demo the machines and can show you the differences - definitely a machine I always recommend to people is a Jura - my first choice in super autos (although I own a Siemens :) )

If your aeropress tastes like filter coffee, you are doing it wrong - it is not espresso, but it should not be like filter coffee.

Cool toy :) just fix it - or if you don't want it, I will take it... mostly because I like what it looks like...

Ha ha, nice try - but the Russell Hobbs is available - not the one in the photo - that's already been given away.

The wife wanted something BLING from Italy that would look cool in the kitchen and had to be red.

So I satisfied my coffee craving and she got the "bling" :D - not what she though, but she just likes to look at it.

I only need to order the spares kit, but Kenwood SA aren't interested in assisting me. Luckily I work for an Italian company, so getting spares from Ariete is easy.

They shipped the first set of spares to me free of charge via DHL, just for buying their product. Thereafter I have to pay - that's service.

The whole Ena range is very nice - but the 3 and 5 are a fair bit cheaper than a 9, and there is minimal difference - go and test one out before you decide which way to go - on Hans Strydom at the entrance to Kaya Sands is the importer - and they demo the machines and can show you the differences - definitely a machine I always recommend to people is a Jura - my first choice in super autos (although I own a Siemens :) )

If your aeropress tastes like filter coffee, you are doing it wrong - it is not espresso, but it should not be like filter coffee.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a drive sometime to see the Jura.

The wife mentioned a Siemens to me (I think). If I stand corrected, they are somewhere near Jan Smuts between the Zoo and Hyde Park??

About the aeropress - someone made one for me, so it's a first impression.

Edited by geraldm24

More than two cups at a time, at least twice a week.

I drink most of my coffee at work, but we (the family) are very hospitable and have people over at least once a week, sometimes twice, hence the "more than 2 cups at a time". It could be as high as 10 cups in a single serving.

Right - time for Espresso - then time to ride count stock....

AHA... you are not a candidate for an SBDU machine - scratch that idea for a joke.... life is FAR too short...

Best you ask the wife if she would prefer a super auto or an espresso machine for when guests are around.... (and remember you might not be) - if she says Espresso machine, check her temperature for a fever, and go and buy an HX based machine - the Oscar is a good option at it's current price point... but if she really wants an espresso machine, then I guess you could change the budget a bit too.... :)