RIDICULOUS COSTS FOR RACES

keepin up

If you actually do a bit of research you will see that its damb expensive to put on a race. There are a whole host of things to pay for and then you have to hope and pray that you get enough entries to cover your costs. Its a thankless task.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do something about it yourself , just go and organise a few events.

+1

I am not going to get into this price thing but any race that has beer and pasta at the end i will support.hell it might even make me faster to get to the end.

It makes you slower because you spend more time at the water points :D not good when you on a diet.

Stop bullshitting and complaining about prices of a race, cycling is an expensive sport get used to it or do something else....plain and simple. It has been said and proved over and over that races can't survive without sponsors

It makes you slower because you spend more time at the water points :D not good when you on a diet.

@gummibear only if it is at the end otherwise i might just not make cutt off times.the way i look at it is as follows:pasta makes me go fasta.beer is only hopps which is like some vegatable and veggies are good for you.But yes i do get your point re the diet.i would still rather have a beer and pasta than a warm flat coke and a melted bar one.

i would still rather have a beer and pasta than a warm flat coke and a melted bar one.

The outside temp was 11 deg and the coke was in buckets of water and ice and the chocolate was Lindt :thumbup:

In winter the rides have Schnapps at the water points.

Cycling and tri /duathlons have always been expensive in SA,you just need to be selective about what races you want to do.

Comparing a race in Europe to an event here is not really comparing apples with apples.

Some of the costs involved in hosting an event...

Timekeepers

Marshalls

Ground owners

Traffic police

CSA

Medals

Medical personnel

Cleaning crews

Security staff

Those are just some of the expenses I can think of.

There are bound to be more.

I did a 40km mtb ride on Sunday and it cost me 6 euros.The 90km was 12 euros(no goodie bag).They had water points at 15 and 30km with bananas,chocolate pieces,waffles and coke.

At the finish i got a beer and pasta.

now that's cool!

I did a 40km mtb ride on Sunday and it cost me 6 euros.The 90km was 12 euros(no goodie bag).They had water points at 15 and 30km with bananas,chocolate pieces,waffles and coke.

At the finish i got a beer and pasta.

Not bad.......

At the Babilonstoring in Hermanus some years ago we were given champagne and perlemoen at the finish..beat that!!

This makes me laugh. R285 for 100+km on virtually closed but definitely marshalled roads with medics and uplift to hospital in case of an accident?

R70 for a PPA event with partial road closure and the rest.

And guys moan. Makes me think of the guys who ride in the bunch on a PPA fun ride without paying their race fees and no number but riding on their R50K Tarmac SL 3 in all the latest kit sucking on Goo or Hammer Gel at R18 a sachet.

And the moaning continues. If you don't like it go ride with your mates and spend your R285 or R70 on something else. Like starting a new thread perhaps: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/115705-monetising-the-noise/

Other than overheads, there has to be reasonable commercial gain for organisers.

Everyone has bills to pay.

Edited by Puncheur

If you don't like it go ride with your mates and spend your R285 or R70 on something else.

Zactly

Edited by Richard Best