The Olympics thread…

Tumbleweed

I don't know..... 16th in the Olympic road race is pretty excellent (to me, anyway).

Then again, I did not watch it, so you are probably right about De Groot.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not quite excellent. I would say fair. Good at a push. De Groot should have stayed at home. Sent to be a worker and she sat at the back all day. So no, not excellent. We didn't get the maximum out of the team sent.

this:

ZA Ladies results

http://www.london2012.com/imgml/flags/s/RSA.png MOOLMAN Ashleigh16th #44

74.7 Km: 2:04:37 (5th)

90.3 Km: 2:28:46 (4th

Finish: 3:35:56 (16th)

http://www.london2012.com/imgml/flags/s/RSA.png van de WINKEL Joanna 28th #45

74.7 Km: 2:04:37 (46th)

90.3 Km: 2:28:46 (37th)

Finish: 3:35:56 (28th)

http://www.london2012.com/imgml/flags/s/RSA.png de GROOT Robyn 53rd (OTL) #43 OTL -

74.7 Km: 2:04:37 (47th)

90.3 Km: 2:31:34 (46th)

140.3 Km: OTL (53rd)

First 40 (Numeric, or time cut off?) got "placed"

OTL: Outside Time Limit

It seemed that the SA ladies weren't in talking terms.

Seemed they were riding as individuals.

Yup.... which is kinda sad as Mrs Stander was omitted as "she is not a team player" .... LOL @ 'team' SA then!

No, not quite excellent. I would say fair. Good at a push. De Groot should have stayed at home. Sent to be a worker and she sat at the back all day. So no, not excellent. We didn't get the maximum out of the team sent.

Could not agree more! Cherise should have been there, guaranteed not to have sat at the back of the bunch all day! Well done Cycling SA!

All that said - great ride by Vos!!!

Edited by Dragu

What a chop.

Well done girls, you represented your country well. This is cycling as was the case in the mens race. Tough race tough conditions and by no means "fair or good at a push" in any way.

Recon these girls will ride circles around some Pariah dude all day long.

dare I post a screengrab from FB.... Ok, I won't, but go have a look at the comments on Mrs Standers wall re her post on Carla Swart

What a chop.

Well done girls, you represented your country well. This is cycling as was the case in the mens race. Tough race tough conditions and by no means "fair or good at a push" in any way.

those girls had circles ridden around them... by other girls!

Edited by RoboCyclist

Seems to me this Olympic road race is more about individuals than a team. Look at yesterday, O'Grady got in the break, did Team Oz seriously not help in the chase to because he was there, meanwhile their sprinter sat in the bunch? Team GB thought they had it all planned and stuck to their plan, had no plan B, it was Cav or nothing. But if they had let their fastest all rounder go in the break they made have had a chance.

Also no radio coms meant riders really had to read the race for themselves.

So why not put the best individuals in the team and let them do what they can and work out the best plan on the road?

CSA :thumbdown:

What a chop.

Your own words... "represented your country well"... Now, what was the mission for London? A medal. Ashleigh Moolman was the medal hope and the others were selected to support her push for a medal. Ashleigh rode well, Jo didn't fulfill the task she was sent to do and neither did Robyn. So, lets assess their performances as individuals because as a team it wasn't stellar. Ash - Full marks. Jo - 70% (was there at the death but we needed them to be on the front for Ash). Robyn - Fail, she didn't contribute to the team effort.

Let's not become champions of mediocrity. The performance was good, but definetely not excellent. At the end of the day we didn't have the firepower the Dutch and Brits had. They were on a mission and had a plan. We just rode with all our workers sitting behind the action unable to influence the race to give our medal hope a fighting chance.

So it's not sour grapes, empty criticism... it's a balanced review of what I saw. We were outridden. Not interested in who was there, who should have been there. We were tactically inept considering we made a lot of fuss about racing as a team. Now go back and look at the way the Dutch and Brits raced.

I think the idea that these ladies werent trying, werent a team is really unfair & coming from armchair critics is a bit much. This is the Olympics and they are representing their country, of course they want to do their very best, but the SA environment doesnt set them up to be competitive internationally.

And, yes, many of us like Cherise and wished she were there, but come on you South Africans, support the team that is there. & parading the negativity as "i'm being objective just saying what i see" doesnt wash.

Edited by Joe Low

Let's not become champions of mediocrity. The performance was good, but definetely not excellent. At the end of the day we didn't have the firepower the Dutch and Brits had. They were on a mission and had a plan. We just rode with all our workers sitting behind the action unable to influence the race to give our medal hope a fighting chance.

We were tactically inept considering we made a lot of fuss about racing as a team. Now go back and look at the way the Dutch and Brits raced.

AND (let's hammer it home - some just don't seem to get it) SA's second qualifying rider was left at home. Because why???

I think the idea that these ladies werent trying, werent a team is really unfair & coming from armchair critics is a bit much. This is the Olympics and they are representing their country, of course they want to do their very best, but the SA environment doesnt set them up to be competitive internationally.

And, yes, many of us like Cherise and wished she were there, but come on you South Africans, support the team that is there. & parading the negativity as "i'm being objective just saying what i see" doesnt wash.

I don't think the critics amongst us are saying any one of the three weren't doing their best. Nor that they don't support the team. The problem lies with selection and the management of cycling in SA, that's what has brought the team's performance into question, as there's good reason to think that Cherise would have played a stronger role in the race, as team member and as a possible contender.

So why was Cherise not there? Pls give me the official (diplomatic) reason as well as the real one

and sorry if its a stupid question..........

Cool! Thanks!

Read through most of it. Comes down to politics and bulls..t! Reckon she would have been the most capable in supporting Ashleigh in the race. Really hope this does not impact her career too negatively

Well done Cameron! He killed it from start to finish. Was awesome! Already better than Team SA result 4 years ago