The Olympics thread…

Tumbleweed

Eish!

Those multiple attacks were awesome to watch.

Once Vos broke away with a few others, that was it.

Good strong effort by SA's nr 1.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eish!

Those multiple attacks were awesome to watch.

Once Vos broke away with a few others, that was it.

Good strong effort by SA's nr 1.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the woman's race more than the mens.

All three on the podium deserved it but Vos was just a cut above I think.

However for me, I just think Emma Pooley is such a class act, she has been around for years and still never fails to animate the race and give it her best, a really, really outstanding athlete.

I used to love watching Leontin Zijlaard-Van Moorsel as well, she was also such a powerful athlete, and like Emma, just kept attacking and attacking until she got away, or got someone else away.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Your own words... "represented your country well"... Now, what was the mission for London? A medal. Ashleigh Moolman was the medal hope and the others were selected to support her push for a medal. Ashleigh rode well, Jo didn't fulfill the task she was sent to do and neither did Robyn. So, lets assess their performances as individuals because as a team it wasn't stellar. Ash - Full marks. Jo - 70% (was there at the death but we needed them to be on the front for Ash). Robyn - Fail, she didn't contribute to the team effort.

Let's not become champions of mediocrity. The performance was good, but definetely not excellent. At the end of the day we didn't have the firepower the Dutch and Brits had. They were on a mission and had a plan. We just rode with all our workers sitting behind the action unable to influence the race to give our medal hope a fighting chance.

So it's not sour grapes, empty criticism... it's a balanced review of what I saw. We were outridden. Not interested in who was there, who should have been there. We were tactically inept considering we made a lot of fuss about racing as a team. Now go back and look at the way the Dutch and Brits raced.

And you have all the facts to make these sound objective statements?

Both Robyn and Jo were involved in crashes.

Jo was held up behind a crash near the front of the peleton early on in the race, when she caught up to the peleton someone switched her resulting in a bad crash. She caught back up just before Box Hill and was happy to make the split after such an effort. Many decent sprinters did not make it over the climbs and its questionable Cherise would have, given her climbing form in eg the Giro Donne. How many SA women have finished an Olympic road race before? To drag someone who tragically passed away into this discussion is bad taste IMHO.

Thanks for the support received. Of course they are disappointed, but there are only 3 countries who aren't!

Being at the Olympic Village is unreal. We saw Usain Bolt earlier today! I have never seen such a diversity of athletes!

More ammo for the anti-Phil camp…?

Commentator laments changes to track cycling programme

http://www.cyclingne...bmx-in-olympics

They way I see it is they should drop the road race. With its history of doping, team scandals, etc, its not exactly the epitome of Olympic ideals of clean, fair, amateur competition. MTB far better at demonstrating good individual effort to succeed in a tough discipline.

And you have all the facts to make these sound objective statements?

Both Robyn and Jo were involved in crashes.

Jo was held up behind a crash near the front of the peleton early on in the race, when she caught up to the peleton someone switched her resulting in a bad crash. She caught back up just before Box Hill and was happy to make the split after such an effort. Many decent sprinters did not make it over the climbs and its questionable Cherise would have, given her climbing form in eg the Giro Donne. How many SA women have finished an Olympic road race before? To drag someone who tragically passed away into this discussion is bad taste IMHO.

Thanks for the support received. Of course they are disappointed, but there are only 3 countries who aren't!

Being at the Olympic Village is unreal. We saw Usain Bolt earlier today! I have never seen such a diversity of athletes!

Yeah, Robyn even worked upfront for a bit, hope her back is ok after the crash.

Issue should not be with the athletes, but the application of the selection process. Think many critics are being very quick to attack the athletes here.

Saw the tweet about Carla, it was very quickly ripped out of context by posters and can only agree with you. Would be incredibly piss poor character to drag that into the discussion.

They way I see it is they should drop the road race. With its history of doping, team scandals, etc, its not exactly the epitome of Olympic ideals of clean, fair, amateur competition. MTB far better at demonstrating good individual effort to succeed in a tough discipline.

I've been thinking about that. I don't know if they should drop it outright, but maybe a look at the team setup could be amended.

I've been thinking about that. I don't know if they should drop it outright, but maybe a look at the team setup could be amended.

no pro riders

You think cycling is the only sport where doping takes place :w00t:

Why can't we just have the BBC feed instead of our own okes?

Dave Gordon@DaveGordonBBC

Pleased to announce that Mark Cavendish will join BBC team for Track Cycling coverage. Starts Thursday August 2nd at 400pm BBC 1

28 Channels of HD Olympics on BBC

Yeah I wish!

When is the TT?

Woman Wednesday from 13:30

Men Wednesday from 15:15

Gerald de Kock irritation from 13:30 until next week after the XC no doubt. Farging awful commentator.

Woman Wednesday from 13:30

Men Wednesday from 15:15

Gerald de Kock irritation from 13:30 until next week after the XC no doubt. Farging awful commentator.

Thanks, I have set it to record.