The Olympics thread…

Tumbleweed

Let me put this in context. Athletics will never progress in SA unless somebody takes some action (ASA) since it already fails at primary school level. There is absolutely no desire at school level to develop athletes that shows promise. My boy this year made the school team in 100m dash and hurdles, and it seems that the events are being rushed through at the beginning of each year just to get it done with. Absolutely no coaching was done. And the events themselves was not a shining example of organisation.

Fact is it seems that in SA rugby and cricket gets all the attention, and athletics and swimming is just a sideshow.

I agree to a certain extent.Swimming is still very strong at schools.At least the schools my boy went to.

When I was at Rondebosch atletiek was very big.The triangulars between us,Bishops and SACS was massive

I did notice that when my boy went to Rondebosch athletics was much less popular but there was a massive push in waterpolo and swimming

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Caster Simunye? That whole thing seems to have been swept under a carpet.

Competing tonite innit?

Where is Caster Simunye? That whole thing seems to have been swept under a carpet.

runs today I think.

Start list, Burry row 1, Buys row 4! and Robert Forstemann the track rider riding for Germany?!

http://www.london201...1100/index.html

:

Robert Forstemann (the german track cyclist with MASSIVE thighs) is only entered in the MTB so that germany have a larger number of people to select from for the track events (there is a limit to the number of riders on the track team, but there is a loophole that any rider entered into any cycling event can compete on the track). Now that all of his track events are finished, it would be funny to see him actually have a go at the MTB, but i doubt he'll event start.

Seems like he was entered as a MTBer, and could then be entered into the track events

http://cdn3.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/08/11/1/000_dv1286763_600.jpg

Julie Bresset (France) savours winning gold at the Olympic women's mountain bike race

Photo: © AFP

The mens mtb race is going to be hectic, that course looks narrow and difficult to pass on. Good start is going to be critical for Burry....

50 riders including Phillip Buys, Marc Bassingwaithe, Adrian Niyonshuti

the

Very interesting to see Robert Fosterman listed as a starter, he's the track sprint dude with the huge quads

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-mountain-bike/event=cycling-mountain-bike-men/

Caster earns silver.

Medal 6 for SA.

Two better than 2008, I think.

Her timing was out completely