Killer deal on Carbon 29er with free ZTR wheelset

Iwan Kemp

Yes, it's actually a really awesome deal!!!

I just had a look at the specifications of the SL729, and based on that you can easily build this SL929, with 2012 XT Groupset, and FOX forks well under +-10.6kg's including pedals...

R 13k for Frame + Wheels

R 7k for Kashima FOX 100mm or SID XX

R 7.5 for Complete 2012XT groupset, including XT Race pedals and ice-tech rotors (check the classifieds, i have some in stock)

R 2.5 for finishing kit and

BAMMMM!!!! You have a +-10.6kg 29er to RACE for about 30k!!!

Good deal!

Very similar to Silverback Storm, which you can get for < 23K if you ask nicely? Pity no XL. I am looking for something like this but not at 30K.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very similar to Silverback Storm, which you can get for < 23K if you ask nicely? Pity no XL. I am looking for something like this but not at 30K.

Found 1 for 21k and took it for a test ride.

Very very nice! Rather tempting.

Ja "local" term used VERY liberally

What's local about it ? the fact that it's assembled on SA soil?

What's wrong with that? ... How many companies worldwide produce their products locally?

Not many, but as a locally based brand they source product etc from the East like almost everyone else and employ local staff to do it, support local events and athletes.

The key point is in this case it's value for money.

Not sure why people feel the need to be bitchy about it generally, overall works out a win win.

Great deal...

How far into the production / manufacturing process would a firm have to go to satisfy the "its not local" naysayers? Devise some new, extra-whiz carbon fibre, create their own custom layups etc etc? Fact is, very few entities outside of the Far East have the technology or skills to manufacture carbon fibre frames - let alone at a reasonable price to the consumer

I say good on Momsen - they have what looks to be a good product and are putting a lot of money into the local market in terms of sponsorship, marketing and LBS support. If the frames are made elsewhere and then imported - well, that's just good business...

Great deal...

How far into the production / manufacturing process would a firm have to go to satisfy the "its not local" naysayers? Devise some new, extra-whiz carbon fibre, create their own custom layups etc etc? Fact is, very few entities outside of the Far East have the technology or skills to manufacture carbon fibre frames - let alone at a reasonable price to the consumer

I say good on Momsen - they have what looks to be a good product and are putting a lot of money into the local market in terms of sponsorship, marketing and LBS support. If the frames are made elsewhere and then imported - well, that's just good business...

You said it. :thumbup:

What's wrong with that? ... How many companies worldwide produce their products locally?

Not many, but as a locally based brand they source product etc from the East like almost everyone else and employ local staff to do it, support local events and athletes.

The key point is in this case it's value for money.

Not sure why people feel the need to be bitchy about it generally, overall works out a win win.

Why do people care about this at all? This is a global economy? CRC spend more money on cycling than anyone in SA as far as I can tell. The local big brand agents sponsor local riders too, not only the one or 2 "manufacturers" who probably put less in than anyone else? They don't need to be putting their personal sticker on the frame in order to do that - the sticker isn't sponsoring the riders, the company behind it is? Whether the stickers are made in South Africa or Italy makes absolutely no difference at all. The only reason to buy "local" is for job creation which would only come about if there was a genuine production facility locally which could create a meaningful number of jobs. Is it value for money? Take a frame that lands here for <R4k, put stickers on it and sell it for 3 times that amount? You could get 3 frames yourself for that price which covers any concerns about backup value (or 2 Rapide things if you prefer someone else to do the import work for you).

The best I've seen recently is a website of another local "brand" - not Momsen - where you can buy components separately or complete bikes at almost R10k premium over their own retail prices of the components - the idea of paying R50k+ for one of these hardtails frightens me. You can get an Anthem 29er with full 2012 XT for <R30k yet someone is saying a similarly specced Momsen hardtail at a higher price is good value.

I like the idea of these unbranded bikes getting pretty stickers and being sold at good prices, but then they have to actually be sold at genuinely good prices (even with only 100% markup, you can still put some money into sponsorship/marketing!). And that doesn't mean good relative to a Specialized frame, it means at a price relative to the actual landed cost of the parts. The deal including the Crests is good, but should be the normal price and not a special deal.

Or... get the same frame, unbranded, over eBay with a carbon stem, carbon bars, carbon seatpost, carbon saddle, full carbon fork and carbon bottle cages, for around R6500 (R5600 for the product, and guessing R900 levies at the post office, if that much). Then you got another R6500 to buy whatever pimp wheelset you want.

Ek is amper seker jy en oom Victor braai nie saam oor die naweek nie.... :whistling:

I see quite a few people say that you can buy the "same" frame at a way cheaper price.

Can you provide evidence that the same quality of carbon fibre is used?

Can you confirm that the geometry is exactly the same?

Can you confirm that these frames have passed CEN testing?

Can you confirm that the same level of quality control is used?

The list of questions can go on. Once all these types of questions are answered then the word same can be used.

A GWM and older Isuzu's look the "same" but to say that they are the same would be an inaccurate statement.

A great "deal" is to buy the Yeti BigTop 29er for $1099... this Momsen mass produced, "everyone has it frame" is not a great deal at 12k.. sorry to say... just my view.

Silverback, Momsen, Rapide, and countless other brands are selling these....

For R7600 you can get the Rapide which is also a "local" brand, not?

http://www.rapide.co...px#.T6F9-8QtjWQ

You have to factor in its the frame and the wheelset, the wheelset alone is worth about R5700 so your getting the momensen frame essentially for what around 6.5k +- That is a killer deal for a new carbon frame. with a warrantee that you can actually coin in,

You could buy a chinese cheapy, but remember these chinese cheapies are generally not designed by the same level engineers as the top bike companies have, they are not tested to the same stringent measurments, and yes they are not made from the same carbon standards as the top bike manufacturers. They are made to be low cost, and like most asian products that arent made for western companies, they are poor quality.

To them neigh sayers, the only company I am aware off that actually make their own carbon frames is Trek, I know of no other major manufacturer that has a carbon detail on their assembly line.

Edited by covie

LOL - two days of this discussion - we SO closed this topic last night already, get with it PEOPLE..

(And if you run it 1x10 and use the front derailleur routing to install a dropper post on this, then the bike will be AMAZING and the "chuckablilty" and street cred will be out of this world!!!)

It's A GOOD DEAL!!!!

:whistling:

LOL - two days of this discussion - we SO closed this topic last night already, get with it PEOPLE..

(And if you run it 1x10 and use the front derailleur routing to install a dropper post on this, then the bike will be AMAZING and the "chuckablilty" and street cred will be out of this world!!!)

It's A GOOD DEAL!!!!

:whistling:

Closed according to whom? Your mighty authority? Oh please do forgive my eagerness to make a post.

Very similar to Silverback Storm, which you can get for < 23K if you ask nicely? Pity no XL. I am looking for something like this but not at 30K.I have the sl729 large .Paid 22k ..Large frame is same as alu xl .I am 6,4 and it fits perfectly .This is a very temting deal

Closed according to whom? Your mighty authority? Oh please do forgive my eagerness to make a post.

LOL..

LOL...

ROTFLMAO...

Me, Yes, and ok I forgive you...

Closed according to Buttclenching United's Top Tubers... AKA BUTTs

There may have been a stray crab or 2 - Heman joined their fold a bit later on...

Edited by cptmayhem