Should I ride with my brand new bike on a long race...???

Bigmozzarella

DONE!

Thanks Hubbers!

I've been doing "logic" at my desk all week - I'm looking DANGER in the eye and riding my new bike

Hell - I've done rides I was way too unfit for in the past... I'm gonna go out and bond with the new toy.

I only learned about bike setup last year!

2003 26" HT Scott with Rim brakes & Suntour fork will have to stay at home this weekend - while the new bok gets dirty.

New bike is measured and fitted.

My arse will just ahve to make friends with the new saddle.

I'm feeling "Superman-ish"

Hell man.... if said you were riding this on the outset of the post you would have a unanimous approval for riding the new bike ... ENJOY !!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ride the new one. If Clarens was like like last year, you will need a need groupset next week anyway....

For sure ride the new one. Biggest disappointment on your first ride with your 29er is when you realize you actually still have to pedal the thing. Once over that, it's sweet. Enjoy

Hell man.... if said you were riding this on the outset of the post you would have a unanimous approval for riding the new bike ... ENJOY !!!!

he did say it was 9 yrs old in the first post :ph34r:

Absolute madness. Without doubt, the old one. You have a moral responsibility to it.

A couple of my mates are doing Clarens this weekend, I cant make it DOH !!!

Enjoy the new bike, 3 bends & 2 climbs & you will be one with each other

I love my Spark Dikwiel & I'm sure you will 2

Ride the new one. After all its a mountain bike race not a Road Race. How hard can it be.

No mountainbikers were harmed in the making of this statement. The names of the offensive roadies have been changed to protect them from angry mountainbikers.

he did say it was 9 yrs old in the first post :ph34r:

Damned over-eagerness from my side and no use spoiling a good jibe with facts stretch :blush:

So OP ... is the old steed to be converted into a SS now?

So - I just got a Scott Scale Elite 29er HT yesterday.

I've been riding a 26 HT for 6 yrs (now 9yrs old)

I'm riding in Clarens this weekend.....

Which bike do I ride.

I really wanna ride the new one.... but the bike shop says it's better to ride it in and go with familiar.

But - I really wanna ride the new one.

If you have to ask, I guess it answers your question.

Sell the bikes and go play golf again.

Took my brand new KTM out of the box at Underberg - rode around the field a few times to make sure everything worked and then rode Sani2c the next morning - best Sani2c I've ever had

Use the new one

i suppose you would also rather drive your old car and leave the new one parked in the garage. Are you a contender? just got divorced and wanna sleep with the missus one last time while the new girlfriend is hiding in the Brasillian topiary? Get on with it man, ride the crap out of the new bike !

New one...

In any case, a new bike takes about 40 hours of riding for your body/mind to get totally used to it... and in just about at the same time your suspension will settle in nicely...

Have a blast, it's a nice bike!

Take the new one with a multitool.Bolts, screws have tendency to loosen on a new bike

So - took the new one.

The terrain was mindblowing - and I would have been heartbroken sitting out there on my old bike.

Shot to everybody who encouranged me to take the new one.

I had to adjsut the gears after a few hours - but tha'ts a matter of turning a thingy on the shifter - made for that... while riding.

What a difference - 9 years of technology & dev in MTB advantage over my previous bike.

The new bike gave me such a sense of confidence - and has escalated my riding abilities.

The 29er is fast on the descent, opens up new lines, it's as nimble as the old 26er.

People say you can't twsit, flick, bunny hop & turn as sharply...

The need for all that deminishes.... and the truth is - I really could.

Furthermore, I rode terrain I've never been able to ride before.

Switchbacks I would have walked I aced.

I was able to climbe over rocks I never would have dreamed of before - and chose lines I wouldn't have been able to take.

Some things make this unique:

It wasn't a modern 26er upgraded to a 29er.

30 speed vs 27 - gives one an advantage too.

The disc brakes have given me a new lease on life.

2.2 tyres give excellent grip - making ascents more about pedalling than weight shifting.

The only downside ( and this is minute)

the longer wheel base leads to the odd occasion where my crank/pedal is lower to the ground - and I had about 5 pedal-ground strikes... minor ones - not game changers... once I'm used to the new dimensions - that will go away.