Forks: All the jargon you need to know

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured my fork out by hopping the bike and turning knobs to see what they do....very stupid way to learn

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

i thought it would be a case of just turning knobs to change the travel from the 80/100/120 - i didn't do my homework  - which was stupid of me. 

Which year, though... 

Warranty will stay intact IF it's done by RS. 

I had a look on RS site trying to find out where / how I'd get it to them to do it. 

I had a look on RS site trying to find out where / how I'd get it to them to do it. 

Meh. Then yeah, it's a new air shaft. 

You need to take it to your LBS and get them to send it to RS to perform the change. They'll then send it back for you and bill the LBS, who will charge you. 

i thought it would be a case of just turning knobs to change the travel from the 80/100/120 - i didn't do my homework - which was stupid of me.

My brake cable knocks my travel down to 150 all the time it drives me.mad

Meh. Then yeah, it's a new air shaft. 

You need to take it to your LBS and get them to send it to RS to perform the change. They'll then send it back for you and bill the LBS, who will charge you. 

what would Myles do?  :whistling:

My brake cable knocks my travel down to 150 all the time it drives me.mad

Haha. Just cable tie it down. My 66 had the same issue. 

I got hold of SRAM to enquire about the warranty thing ...

Changing the travel on any fork where travel is designed to be changed will never void your warranty. You can have any local bicycle dealer perform this service for you. The only time warranty is void is if your product is modified in some way that it is not designed for.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone please give me advice about the following two shocks:

Rockshox Revelation RL29 120mm - as found on Camber Comp 29

Fox 32 Float 100mm - as found on Giant Anthem X 29

Now,  I am considering either, but would like a better understanding of the shocks used on these two bikes. I know the obvious differences, such as travel length etc. but would like to know if anyone has any input such as pro's  versus cons of each shock.

My decision is based on these two bikes, although I am leaning a bit more towards the Camber, as it is a more trail oriented bike than the Anthem. I do more XC riding in the long run, but want something that will not have any qualms spending all day on single track.

fox has more adjustment plus better small bump sensitivity, expensive to maintain 

Rockshox has A much more inspiring stroke ( this probably does not make sense to you ) in A nut shell its very responsive and and will save in places A fox may not. Relatively cheap to maintain.

These are mostly me experience and some people may differ from me.

See if you can get A test ride on both bikes , there are some people who will always ride fox and other who will always ride rockshox.

Personally I'll go for the camber  :thumbup:

fox has more adjustment plus better small bump sensitivity, expensive to maintain 

Rockshox has A much more inspiring stroke ( this probably does not make sense to you ) in A nut shell its very responsive and and will save in places A fox may not. Relatively cheap to maintain.

These are mostly me experience and some people may differ from me.

See if you can get A test ride on both bikes , there are some people who will always ride fox and other who will always ride rockshox.

Personally I'll go for the camber  :thumbup:

I am well versed in a more inspiring stroke...oh, wait...never mind.

• 1 month later...

Can anybody assist. Where can I get spares (seal kits) to service my rear Rockshox RS23 and my front Fox Float 29. Tried every single bike shop in the Westrand and Northern parts of JHB with no success

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Archived