[Event] Die Burger MTB Challenge

Dirtopia MTB Events

On garmin connect, click on elevation correction. it uses barometric pressure to calculate ascent and descent meaning that if the pressure changed slightly, your elevation data would be inaccurate. Just a bit of fyi :P

On that note, lemmie go check mine :D

I've been a bit hesitant to use that, because not sure how accurate it is, but I'll try. Can you undo if it does something crazy? I think my elevation started at just over 100m at the Bottelary/Caltex garage, but then went straight down to 0m (almost calibrated back to that) and everything was calculated from there, so it might be everything should be 100m more.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the average gradient that kills me, it's those nasty 15-20% little monsters that make up the climb that really break me.

It was a tough ride for me, but still proud I was able to finish in one piece and starting to see some improvement.

Gravel Travel 75 next!

True. I had to walk some due to my own fault and traffic. But imagine an average gradient of 10% for 15km with some stretches going up to 20% in the Alps!

Well done for the Burger and good luck for the Gravel Travel!

I've been a bit hesitant to use that, because not sure how accurate it is, but I'll try. Can you undo if it does something crazy? I think my elevation started at just over 100m at the Bottelary/Caltex garage, but then went straight down to 0m (almost calibrated back to that) and everything was calculated from there, so it might be everything should be 100m more.

Yes, you can switch it back but I agree, I don't know which is more accurate when it comes to MTB trails.

True. I had to walk some due to my own fault and traffic. But imagine an average gradient of 10% for 15km with some stretches going up to 20% in the Alps!

Well done for the Burger and good luck for the Gravel Travel!

Are you doing it Andy?

Andy, you can to it without worry - and like K said, you can undo it as well. It's do-able per ride, so if it goes bananas on one ride, just toggle it on for that one. Mine (705) frequently goes nuts in thick fog and sometimes rain. I actually found out just the other day my house (on a hill...) is actually at -185m. Imagine...

And it's accurate. It may miss small things, but once the baro has gone belly-up, whatever that gives you is way more accurate!

Anybody have any pics of the mud pools we sailed over. Saw a few people going down into them. Quite messy for the back markers as all the wet turf became goo ans sludge for those behind them.

They could have at least put a warning sign or some hazard tape as I was following a guy down that hill also about 50km/hr saw him hop suddenly and I didn't have time hit it flat out cracked ribs and no skin down my leg as a result of coming off pretty hard. All for it being mountain biking and riding hard but seriously that could have been marked especially in the beginning where there are still big groups. Still finished the 75 but am still hurting now and trying to grow skim again!

No seriously, I'm doing like 50 down the gravel section then suddenly there's this drainage ditch , no warning. I hopped but too early and landed with my back wheel on the far edge it bucked me over onto the front wheel . I was doing an endo for about 20m.