SRAM XX1 drive train

Hairy

Hope comes to the XX1 party

post-2975-0-70881600-1346267392.jpg

Our first new product for #Eurobike - Pro 2 EVO XD compatible driver to suit @SRAM_mtb cassettes
Edited by deanbean

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

SRAM had its XX1 rear hub with the XD ratchet driver on display at Interbike and we were allowed to field-strip it to show Pinkbike readers what was inside the eleven-speed-only assembly. DT Swiss and SRAM teamed up to produce the patented XD cassette driver. Now, says SRAM, the XD driver will be made under an open-license agreement by Mavic, American Classic and Crankbrothers, with more hub and wheel makers coming on board next season. The XD driver is necessary to provide clearance for the 11-speed 'X-Dome' cassette's tiny ten-tooth sprocket, which is too small to adapt to a conventional freehub. Presently, DT Swiss makes the XD driver and hub for SRAM, which means that it can be assembled without tools.

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8684859/p4pb8684859.jpg

SRAM's rear hub can be adapted for standard quick release or a 142/12-millimeter through axle by simply interchanging endcaps. We asked SRAM to walk us through the 142/12 version. Begin by sliding the rear axle from the hub.

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8684862/p4pb8684862.jpg

Pull off the endcaps and the XD driver can be slid off the hub's stub axle. The pawls will fall off the XD's ratchet mech, so watch out for loose parts. The ratchet ring and stub axle are shown on the left. SRAM uses oil instead of grease to lubricate the ratchet to maintain operation in freezing conditions. The protruding axle sleeve supports the outboard bearing of the XD driver.

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8684863/p4pb8684863.jpg

A look at the XD driver's three-pawl ratchet shows the stiff, flat springs and the unique, three-tooth engagement on each pawl. Threads on the driver (right) engage a sleeve inside the eleven-speed cassette. The driver has two sealed bearings. The outboard bearing protrudes about four millimeters and indexes the driver into a sleeve beneath the cassette's smallest cogs.

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8684864/p4pb8684864.jpg

The black-anodized sleeve can be seen inside the XD eleven-speed X-Dome cassette. Normally, the XD driver will be installed on the hub's stub shaft before the cassette is installed, but we wanted to show how the driver fits into the cassette (right). Like the X.0 cassette, all pedaling loads are carried by the splines of the largest cog. In the case of the XD drive, however, the larger indexing spline that is used on conventional freehubs has been eliminated, because the remaining ten cogs are machined from a single piece of stainless steel and it is not necessary.

http://gp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb8686903/p4pb8686903.jpg

A close-up look at the X-Dome cassette(left) reveals the black-anodized splines of its inner sleeve. The cassette simply spins onto the threads of the XD driver using a Shimano-type freehub lock-ring tool. The XD driver's outboard bearing is visible inside the cassette. In real life, you'll need to install the driver first (right). Slide the XD driver over the axle stub and then turn it counter-clockwise to engage the ratchet. The endcap then snaps onto the axle stub.

We discovered that SRAM's XD driver and hub system is quite simple to take apart and reassemble. Each part either slides into place, or snaps together. The threaded cassette sleeve is the only component that requires a tool and none are needed to switch the hub from one axle standard to another. This should be a plus for XX1 owners who ride in inclement weather, as regular maintenance of the driver and hub will be a painless process. The XD system is an elegant solution to adapt smaller cassette sprockets to a conventional hub design.

• 1 month later...

With such a huge cassette, you won't shed of much weight. More of a simplicity thing?

With such a huge cassette, you won't shed of much weight. More of a simplicity thing?

Only 8 more teeth, that cassette as it is there weighs the same as a Shimano 10 speed cassette.

Only 8 more teeth, that cassette as it is there weighs the same as a Shimano 10 speed cassette.

like a Bos thumbup1.gif

Just wondering what 'black magic' (can I say that?) is used so as to not require a chainguide? I DID read it but maybe I missed something ....

So from what I have heard it has to do with the design and 'length' of the teeth on the chainring. It seems it does work as some have apparently done all kinds of things like back pedal in technical sections and so on and it still didn't come off ....

How much does it weigh compared to 11-36 xx cassette?

Where you save is:

Front Der: 118g

Front Shifter: 95g

Extra Blade: 50g

Gain: 263g

Loose: 52g

Then you loose an additional 35g on the rear der, but that's thanks to Type 2 tech.

Edited by The Crow

As much as everyone is looking at the weight saving, they neglect the fact that it's the simplicity and the almost SS clean looks it brings to the party.

As much as everyone is looking at the weight saving, they neglect the fact that it's the simplicity and the almost SS clean looks it brings to the party.

Yip. I'm running 1x10 on one of my bikes and it's a joy. Will giive XX1 a year or so then I will be on the bandwagon.