Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

I see you run a very short stem on your bike, what will the affect be in handling? I have a 90mm stem and flat bar on my Merida full susser, had a raiser handlebar on with the 90mm stem, but put it back on my ht for wife and son who uses it now mostly, I felt much more comfortable with that setup. I'm thinking of leaving the flat bar on my full susser but to put a shorter stem on, no longer than 50mm. I like a more upright riding position because of lower back operations I had. I need advice because it it seems to me that you've got quite good experience.

Howdy BSG,

The stem on there atm is a 50mm jobbie, that comes standard on the new Reign. It's paired with a mahoooosive 800mm wide bar, also standard equipment with the Reign.

My initial impressions coming from a 40mm stem / 780mm bar combo (same rise, different sweep) on my old bike (30mm shorter on the top tube, 45mm shorter on the reach) were initially along the lines of "HOLY CRAP, this is WIDE!"

Given that I'm still in the testing stages, it's still too early to tell what direction I'm going to go, but initial impressions are that I want to shorten the stem in order to get a slightly faster steering response, given that I do not want to cut the bars just yet (as that's irreversible) 

Ideally I want a steering response somewhere between where it is at the moment, and Iwan's Hungry Monkey hardtail (which is RAZOR sharp) without spending north of R15k for a good carbon wheelset, which also contributes hugely to the steering response.

But back to your question. And yes, I know: TL;DR

My experience is limited (yes, I'm a *** rider) but I read a metric ****-ton of stuff online which is written by people who know a shedload more than me.

Essentially, a shorter stem will sharpen steering response, which is why a move to a shorter stem is traditionally paired with a move to a wider bar, which more or less balances the steering response out. Without knowing how wide your current setup is (it would help to know) I would recommend starting with the 50mm stem, which will lessen the load on your back whilst also positioning you slightly further behind the front axle when out of the saddle, which consequently improves your handling on the rough stuff as your weight is no longer as far over the front of the bike. 

I'd pair that with a wider bar to begin with, as you may find the handling is slightly too quick / skittish at speed with the shorter stem but same width bar. I don't know how much length you have on your steerer, but a good place to start on the wider bar journey is with Rapide components, who do a FANTASTIC 15mm rise 780mm bar with a reasonable (9 degree) sweep, for only R 309 delivered (actual price R229, delivery charge of R80) HERE

If you have enough space on your steerer to jack that up a bit, and place spacers underneath it, then it's a good option. However - if you find that you NEED more rise than that bar offers, when paired with the shorter stem, then I'm afraid that the exercise becomes a bit more expensive as there aren't any other bars that come remotely close to that option ito price. You may, however, find that the 15mm rise is enough when paired with the shorter stem

For the stem, I'd recommend the KCNC Bear Claw, which can be found for approx R300 or so, or the Ryder stems, which are also around that figure...

FWIW - every single person that has changed from a long stem / narrow bar to a short stem / wide bar has been absolutely amazed at the difference it offers in terms of handling and confidence in the rough stuff. It's something I would advocate for every single person who isn't a race snake. Even then, the benefits of moving to a short / wide setup significantly outweigh the potential weight penalties. 

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy BSG,

The stem on there atm is a 50mm jobbie, that comes standard on the new Reign. It's paired with a mahoooosive 800mm wide bar, also standard equipment with the Reign.

My initial impressions coming from a 40mm stem / 780mm bar combo (same rise, different sweep) on my old bike (30mm shorter on the top tube, 45mm shorter on the reach) were initially along the lines of "HOLY CRAP, this is WIDE!"

Given that I'm still in the testing stages, it's still too early to tell what direction I'm going to go, but initial impressions are that I want to shorten the stem in order to get a slightly faster steering response, given that I do not want to cut the bars just yet (as that's irreversible)

Ideally I want a steering response somewhere between where it is at the moment, and Iwan's Hungry Monkey hardtail (which is RAZOR sharp) without spending north of R15k for a good carbon wheelset, which also contributes hugely to the steering response.

My experience is limited (yes, I'm a *** rider) but I read a metric ****-ton of stuff online which is written by people who know a shedload more than me.

Essentially, a shorter stem will sharpen steering response, which is why a move to a shorter stem is traditionally paired with a move to a wider bar, which more or less balances the steering response out. Without knowing how wide your current setup is (it would help to know) I would recommend starting with the 50mm stem, which will lessen the load on your back whilst also positioning you slightly further behind the front axle when out of the saddle, which consequently improves your handling on the rough stuff as your weight is no longer as far over the front of the bike.

I'd pair that with a wider bar to begin with, as you may find the handling is slightly too quick / skittish at speed with the shorter stem but same width bar. I don't know how much length you have on your steerer, but a good place to start on the wider bar journey is with Rapide components, who do a FANTASTIC 15mm rise 780mm bar with a reasonable (9 degree) sweep, for only R 309 delivered (actual price R229, delivery charge of R80) HERE

If you have enough space on your steerer to jack that up a bit, and place spacers underneath it, then it's a good option. However - if you find that you NEED more rise than that bar offers, when paired with the shorter stem, then I'm afraid that the exercise becomes a bit more expensive as there aren't any other bars that come remotely close to that option ito price. You may, however, find that the 15mm rise is enough when paired with the shorter stem

For the stem, I'd recommend the KCNC Bear Claw, which can be found for approx R300 or so, or the Ryder stems, which are also around that figure...

FWIW - every single person that has changed from a long stem / narrow bar to a short stem / wide bar has been absolutely amazed at the difference it offers in terms of handling and confidence in the rough stuff. It's something I would advocate for every single person who isn't a race snake. Even then, the benefits of moving to a short / wide setup significantly outweigh the potential weight penalties.

Thanks Prof.

Yours grateful,

Hibernating Lizard

Edited by BarHugger

Howdy BSG,

I'd pair that with a wider bar to begin with, as you may find the handling is slightly too quick / skittish at speed with the shorter stem but same width bar. I don't know how much length you have on your steerer, but a good place to start on the wider bar journey is with Rapide components, who do a FANTASTIC 15mm rise 780mm bar with a reasonable (9 degree) sweep, for only R 309 delivered (actual price R229, delivery charge of R80) HERE

Whow that's a mouth full, I really appreciate your input a lot.

Just finished building my dream bike...can't wait for the first ride tomorrow

big congratz mike....very nice hoor

oompie se *** is in die pos nou 

Just ordered A set of Rotor QXL (4 bolt 53/36) chainrings from velotech services. I sincerely hope I get it, given the state of our postal service :(

Big thanks to Ed from DA BOMB for meeting me on two occasions to have a look at his stuff. I bought this saddle from him today, cant wait to try it out later! Ed really has some awesome stuff, great quality and well priced stuff!

post-44557-0-31013400-1445411809_thumb.jpg

Bought this 2nd hand Zipp Carbon wheels from my lbs for only a R1000.

I assume they are fake right?

Bought this 2nd hand Zipp Carbon wheels from my lbs for only a R1000.

Are the hubs and spokes white or is it just from the flash?