2012 94.7

Agteros

So, in your opinion, what time would you say I "could" potentially do on a road bike, after a 3:31 on my full sus mtb?

At least 10% faster...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost any idea of time/ave speed when my garmin packed up.

Not an excuse though, i see from results your time was better than mine, only by 1 min though tongue.png

So, in your opinion, what time would you say I "could" potentially do on a road bike, after a 3:31 on my full sus mtb?

With the right start group and bunch riding techniques....sub 3 without to much effort.

With the right start group and bunch riding techniques....sub 3 without to much effort.

Will let you know how it went in a years time then.....

Anybody knows what the fastest time on a mtb...(not with slicks) is for the 94.7??

Would think that close to 2.40 or maybe 2.35 would be possible?

All else being equal, your fitness etc., and assuming you were on a decent road bike (at least the equal in price of your MTB), you would probably take at least 20 - 30 minutes off your time.

The road bike is lighter, probably 4 - 5 kg lighter than a full susser. It has wheel with less rolling resistance and your body position is much more aerodynamic.

If you ride a compact crank with 11-28 cassette you will have more than enough gearing to deal with anything the 94.7 can throw at you and then some. In Tzaneen we have NO flat roads and the climbs are extreme and with a compact and the right cassette you can get up anywhere easily enough.

If you really want light gears you can fit a SRAM WIFLI system or a triple which give huge rear cassette options. The gearing argument is only valid if you choose a road bike set up for flat riding.

Like what?whistling.gif

Uhhhhm...something like "help-jou-trap" comes to mind, or perhaps less unassumingly "hel-hy-trap!" - referring to what those of us who has had the pleasure of trying to keep up with you, typically feel… thumbup1.gif

Uhhhhm...something like "help-jou-trap" comes to mind, or perhaps less unassumingly "hel-hy-trap!" - referring to what those of us who has had the pleasure of trying to keep up with you, typically feel… thumbup1.gif

Hahaha, seems like I've unintentionally created a false image.ph34r.png

Serious Question:

And I want a sound, scientific answer please.

Why do the guys on the road bikes suffer up the hills, and us on the MTB's kill them?

We passed 100's of road bikes up the hills, felt like we were on EPO.

What's the explanation for this?

I think MTB races typically require you to do many hours of suffering in the saddle while road races are (for semi decent amateurs) usually only 2:30 - 3:15 of bunch riding.

At the end of a road race, many roadies are at the end of their capacity whilst dirt riders are just getting into their stride.

So,

Did 3:05.01 last year and did 3:05.01 this year, thought I would see some improvement based on my training all the way through winter! 60-80km rides every weekend. Last year I only started training in August.

Do you guys think the weather played much of a part in the times this year.

From looking at racetec results in terms of last year v this year, I seem to have gone backwards or am I just being hard on myself?

Most guys I spoke to seem to have done similair or better times than last year. Weather conditions last year were easy.

So,

Did 3:05.01 last year and did 3:05.01 this year, thought I would see some improvement based on my training all the way through winter! 60-80km rides every weekend. Last year I only started training in August.

From looking at racetec results in terms of last year v this year, I seem to have gone backwards or am I just being hard on myself?

Most guys I spoke to seem to have done similair or better times than last year. Weather conditions last year were easy.

Wind made this year slower even though route was shorter.

Sorry but you went backwards (but just a little).

Last years wining time was 2:11 and this years was 2:10, seeing that this year the route was 4km shorter one can see how the wind slowed us down.

I'd suggest you do longer rides but then I'm just a fun rider and have absolutely no coaching experience at all.

I think MTB races typically require you to do many hours of suffering in the saddle while road races are (for semi decent amateurs) usually only 2:30 - 3:15 of bunch riding.

At the end of a road race, many roadies are at the end of their capacity whilst dirt riders are just getting into their stride.

Hey Eddy, most of us roadies ride MTB too, nothing nicer than a mountainous marathon.

Karma was just killing slower roadies is all. My mates were clocking 2:48 from D, he would have bled through his eyes keeping up on a full suss, 29 er or not!

Start Q finished 3,30 MTB FS felt great after the race no cramps thumbup1.gif thanks to John for riding with me and helping each other.

I also find that everybody riding all over the place i think we MTB riders are more considerate as we sometimes stuck on single track and try let faster guys let pass when we can.(not all of us)clap.gif

Keep left pass right yeah right not on this race.

Well done Dexter i didn't see you did you start in Q?

i think the start group is more important...coming from the back you encounter many traffic jams...slows you down plenty as i found out yesterday starting in PP

Just noticed something looking at my results history. The number of finishers for the 94.7 is around 15,000 to 18,000 over the past few years. This is out of a total (claimed) field of 25,000-27,000 cyclists. My one Argus finish shows a number of finishers tally of over 31,000, and as far as I'm aware, they cap their entries at 35,000.

So, is the 94.7 attrition rate that much higher, or are the entry numbers artificially inflated by adding in the other events (mtb, kiddies, 40km) numbers? A drop out / non starter rate of around 30% seems quite high.

This years race was the second biggest (a few years ago there were 28,000). I think the biggest reason is people riding without chips but have have to see registration on Sat afternoon to see how many people entered and never collected their race packs. Then you get a small number that dont pitch on the day and then the people who dont finish.