2012 94.7

Agteros

hence my question to someone as well yesterday - would I be quicker on a Road bike?

Sure, there is no definite answer.

You will be faster but it also helps to learn how to ride in a bunch

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"What" beat me in the overall position? By gender I'm 160th but 170th overall, reason for asking is because the fastest female time was 2h34 on a tandem. So what makes up the 10 positions?

If it was in CapeTown I would have a suspiscion.....

"The Vroom"...I mean Froome

Surreal to have Froom Dog in the mix on Sunday.

Look at the amateurs trying to stick to that Pina wheel. Hulle weet-ie of hulle moet lag of huil nie...

Just did my first 94.7 and I'm hooked!! Looking into the Argus now to ride for a charity so was just wondering how the 94.7 compares to the Argus??

hence my question to someone as well yesterday - would I be quicker on a Road bike?

Sure, there is no definite answer.

Yes.

It's made for the road - aerodynamic, lighter, less rolling resistance.

Just noticed something looking at my results history. The number of finishers for the 94.7 is around 15,000 to 18,000 over the past few years. This is out of a total (claimed) field of 25,000-27,000 cyclists. My one Argus finish shows a number of finishers tally of over 31,000, and as far as I'm aware, they cap their entries at 35,000.

So, is the 94.7 attrition rate that much higher, or are the entry numbers artificially inflated by adding in the other events (mtb, kiddies, 40km) numbers? A drop out / non starter rate of around 30% seems quite high.

Just noticed something looking at my results history. The number of finishers for the 94.7 is around 15,000 to 18,000 over the past few years. This is out of a total (claimed) field of 25,000-27,000 cyclists. My one Argus finish shows a number of finishers tally of over 31,000, and as far as I'm aware, they cap their entries at 35,000.

So, is the 94.7 attrition rate that much higher, or are the entry numbers artificially inflated by adding in the other events (mtb, kiddies, 40km) numbers? A drop out / non starter rate of around 30% seems quite high.

30 is high indeed...

mellow.png

.. just just wondering how the 94.7 compares to the Argus??

Argus is easier, providing the Cape Doctor stays away. Also more scenic although the views out to the Magalies and back to the city were stunning yesterday.

Also more CT peeps on the side of the road. Joburg lagging in that aspect.

What % of registered riders don't worry about a timing chip?

I haven't used one in the last 2 years.

They combined all the entrants for the 94.7km, 40km and Mtb races.

Argus is easier, providing the Cape Doctor stays away. Also more scenic although the views out to the Magalies and back to the city were stunning yesterday.

Also more CT peeps on the side of the road. Joburg lagging in that aspect.

Can't agree . 94.7 even with the wind is much easier .

What % of registered riders don't worry about a timing chip?

I haven't used one in the last 2 years.

Fair enough, but then the same sentiment would surely apply at the Argus (unless, of course, the number of recorded Argus finishers has also decreased over the last 8 years)

I doubt its that high, when I was assisting organizing races we worked on a "5% No show" on the day, on a big event like this it may be a little higher, maybe 8% but I think the big loss of numbers is people not wearing chips or non recording of the chips.

Serious Question:

And I want a sound, scientific answer please.

Why do the guys on the road bikes suffer up the hills, and us on the MTB's kill them?

We passed 100's of road bikes up the hills, felt like we were on EPO.

What's the explanation for this?

Very simple.

You were passing riders weaker than yourselves. Their road bikes give them a huge advantage on the descents and flats and they keep up with you but whenever the hills kick in you kill them.

The riders of your own strength on road bikes were very far ahead of you.

We have a 11 km climb of 700 m vertical ascent here in Tzaneen and I am 10 minutes faster up on my road bike than my mtb. You would have been much quicker on a road bike up or down the hills.

Very simple.

You were passing riders weaker than yourselves. Their road bikes give them a huge advantage on the descents and flats and they keep up with you but whenever the hills kick in you kill them.

The riders of your own strength on road bikes were very far ahead of you.

We have a 11 km climb of 700 m vertical ascent here in Tzaneen and I am 10 minutes faster up on my road bike than my mtb. You would have been much quicker on a road bike up or down the hills.

So, in your opinion, what time would you say I "could" potentially do on a road bike, after a 3:31 on my full sus mtb?