WHO REALLY WON THE 2012 EPIC ?

bassasdaindia

Firstly let me state that i am a fan of Kevin Evans.

However i would like to know what is your feeling of the article in TREAD magazine May/June 2012 on page 86.

Whereby Burry was given outside assistance on stage 5 and broke rule 23.1 of the UCI,which states :

" No seconding or outside assistance is permitted under any circumstances"

First offence : 1 hour penalty

Second offence : Disquallification

And why was this incident kept so quiet until Mr Tread published it ?

We have discussed the topic before about the rules being the rules and we can not sway from them because where do we draw the line ?

If Burry would of been given his penalty,the 2012 Epic would have changed altogether.Evans and George would of won the race,the Bulls would of taken the stage and the whole podium would of changed.Remember the pro's make a living from events like the Epic and new contracts are signed based on these results.

I am interested in the replies and comments

Edited by bassasdaindia

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja but King Kev and George didn't want to win it like that... so no formal complaint from them after the stage. That is class imo

Don't think it would have changed the end result...the strongest team won, the most loved team came second

I was in the race office after that stage (probably looking for my personality) and heard the race officials discussing the "jacket" and that Burry/Sauser would be given a one hour penalty like the female leaders the year before. It seemed at the time, a matter of fact, and not up for discussion. But then it was swept under the rug in an instant.

The commentator on the TV program even spoke about the jacket (a brown leather one, not even a spez branded one) in the highlights package.

Good on Evans/George for not raising a fuss about the whole deal though.

I did'nt knew he got outside assistance??

i don't think many knew,until the article.

I never knew until i read it either

Firstly let me state that i am a fan of Kevin Evans.

However i would like to know what is your feeling of the article in TREAD magazine May/June 2012 on page 86.

Whereby Burry was given outside assistance on stage 5 and broke rule 23.1 of the UCI,which states :

" No seconding or outside assistance is permitted under any circumstances"

First offence : 1 hour penalty

Second offence : Disquallification

And why was this incident kept so quiet until Mr Tread published it ?

We have discussed the topic before about the rules being the rules and we can not sway from them because where do we draw the line ?

If Burry would of been given his penalty,the 2012 Epic would have changed altogether.Evans and George would of won the race,the Bulls would of taken the stage and the whole podium would of changed.Remember the pro's make a living from events like the Epic and new contracts are signed based on these results.

I am interested in the replies and comments

A cheap shot to try and get sales of the mag up - I'm sure that Burry / Christoph are both having a quiet giggle about this. My guess is that if they received a penalty, they would have simply rode an hour out of KE/DG in stages 6 and 7. Yes, they were THAT good this year!

Ja but King Kev and George didn't want to win it like that... so no formal complaint from them after the stage. That is class imo

Don't think it would have changed the end result...the strongest team won, the most loved team came second

I don't think Kevin and David don't want to win like that either.Hence no comment from them

I was in the race office after that stage (probably looking for my personality) and heard the race officials discussing the "jacket" and that Burry/Sauser would be given a one hour penalty like the female leaders the year before. It seemed at the time, a matter of fact, and not up for discussion. But then it was swept under the rug in an instant.

The commentator on the TV program even spoke about the jacket (a brown leather one, not even a spez branded one) in the highlights package.

If it is true that it was swept under the carpet it places the whole integrity of the event in question.

Whether KE an DG wanted to win like that or not is irrelevant.

I have not read the Tread article and therefore am reacting purely to this thread

by the way: Many of the pro's were taking news papers and jackets from the crowd on stage 5 and 6, you also see that on the Giro and LeTour every year. Hardly outside assistance if you ask me...

I only heard of this when i read the article,from what i now have heard confirms what you say:

"that is was swept under the rug"

that if true is not correct.

a jacket... seriously. its not like they gave him new legs or a boost up a hill

Could have / would have / should have does not count. History will say the race was really won by the team who stood on top of the podium at the finish.

Concur, as well as I don't believe everything I read in magazines, especially the local ones.

Could have / would have / should have does not count. History will say the race was really won by the team who stood on top of the podium at the finish.

Yip,but the 360 manager wanted to give KE and DG raincoats and was denied by the referee !

Can someone please post the article

My boet told me about another contender saying he would've taken a jacket that day if someone offered him one.