WHO REALLY WON THE 2012 EPIC ?

bassasdaindia

I was in Dr Evils store in April and he told me about this incident, he said that there are different rules for Burry and Christof. Guys if its the rules then they shouldve got a penalty. It should not be for KE and DG to lodge a complaint, the race organisers knew about it and shouldve acted accordingly, i know its not nice but thats what gives a sport integrity. when a golfer finishes his round and signs his card if he makes a mistake he knows the rules mean he gets disqualified. No sour grapes its the rules its part of the game. Nobody to blame but yourself. Burry shouldve had correct equipment he chose not to wear a jacket, he broke the rules by getting assistance. That to me is the end of it, if the rules state an hr penalty there should be no complaints from anyone.

I know it will never change anything they will ALWAYS be considered champs for 2012 BUT it leaves a sour taste doesnt it...and the taste isnt sour grapes.

That pretty much summed it up for me :thumbup:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there chaps!

Ready to put some fuel on the fire...

1. During the ABSA Cape Epic where Burry got outside assistance in the form of a wheel from another rider and got a one hour time penalty K & D were one of the first teams to complain to the race officials...however a certain team manager has evidence that K & D also got outside assistance in this same race but it was "swept under the carpet"...

2. After the Nissan Tulbagh marathon which Burry won, K & D questioned the UCI approved SA Champs Jersey Burry rode in. As if this would have made a difference in the results!

3. At this years ABSA Cape Epic where Burry was given a Specialized rain jersey K & D complained to the race officials that it was outside assistance. The matter was declared a medical issue and that the rider could have become hypothermic.

The above points prove that they are not the angels everyone thinks...they are always one of the first teams to complain. Rather than beat their opponents on the track they look for technicalties afterwards...That is not racing!

That being said Burry has done alot for SA cycling, but everytime he races locally, two of SA's finest can't beat him on the bike and look for technicalities. What has K & D done on the world stage for SA?

BIG FISH IN A SMALL POND COME TO MIND...

Marathon is not Burry's speciality but is supposed to be K & D's, and Burry beats them at that. Why dont't they race Burry in a CC race?

Burry has much bigger things to worry about than the colour of his socks and whether or not K & D approve of his kit...so rather than badmouthing him and trying to cut him down let support SA's Olympic hopefull.

Feel free to comment...

GO BURRY!

thank you dangle

i am not ranting

let me state the following :

1) i do think burry is the best mtb in SA and the best we have ever had to date (opinion)

2) i do feel Christoph has done more for SA mtb than any other international pro - kudos to him (opinion)

3) i do believe burry and christoph were the strongets team at 2012 epic (opinion)

but rules are rules and why was this swept under the carpet/rug

why didn't K Vermaak or Epic make it public knowledge immediately and state there ruling ?

Edited by bassasdaindia

A lot of truths there, I did not have specific details on the 360 life protests...but ya...they are not angels.

I remember racing the Giro 2009...Burry beat them all on the road too...and only lost it to King George on the final hill climb TT.

1. ...however a certain team manager has evidence that K & D also got outside assistance in this same race but it was "swept under the carpet"...

2. After the Nissan Tulbagh marathon which Burry won, K & D questioned the UCI approved SA Champs Jersey Burry rode in. As if this would have made a difference in the results!

3. At this years ABSA Cape Epic where Burry was given a Specialized rain jersey K & D complained to the race officials that it was outside assistance. The matter was declared a medical issue and that the rider could have become hypothermic.

The above points prove that they are not the angels everyone thinks...they are always one of the first teams to complain. Rather than beat their opponents on the track they look for technicalties afterwards...That is not racing!

Sorry but your points PROVE nothing

point 1. is hearsay not proof.

Point 2 is incorrect as KE never said a thing about the colour jersey the media turned that into a strm in a teacup

. And point 3 was discussed by commentators before the stage ended so when and where did KE and DG complain. The incident was seen and noticed by everyone as it happened.

Im a Burry fan and a KE fan, but as i stated earlier rules are rules.

That's why I say I don't blame Burry...even if it cost him a penalty, it should not have cost him his health, World Cup season, Career.etc etc. Kevin and David should have taken jackets and dealt with it later IMO.

Agree with Dangle

But that is what the rant is about - the fact that no penalty was issued. K & D were adhering to the rules.

GO BURRY!

Well said No 37

Burry & Sussie won it fair & square, two times now. Burry is without doubt our best mtb cyclist we have, and I feel he could pull off an Olympic podium, and perhaps a World Cup one this year as well. Christoph is an ace guy as well, I think the charity work he does in Stellies is fantastic.

Even though I am not a Spez fan, these guys have my support 1000%.

Edited by kosmonooit

I rode that stage Granted I was nowhere near the podium but it was horrendous and I would have taken extra kit from anyone even if i was leading It was farkin cold in the mountains

Waterpiont 2 was like a war zone, we spend an hour there waiting for repairs and the stuff I witnessed during that hour was amazing.

The one official at one stage was on the radio with someone at the finish trying to explain to him how bad it was....was a bit funny at that stage because it seemed the person on the other side just did not want to understand how bad it was going….and he used some very descriptive language.

The mechanics had a very bad day that day, they were under a lot of pressure .Actually send my partner off without refitting he's breaks because they had to give attention to 10 people at a time. Everybody was begging for help!!

Loads of people just got of their bikes and got into the kombi’s to try and heat up and some got told they should not continue.

Really an Epic day, one most will never forget!!

Rules are rules yes but I think in this case the info should have been communicated to the various race officials that it will not be enforced due to the conditions and that would have made it easier for the pro’s to just go ahead and get a jacket from where ever they can.

But that is what the rant is about - the fact that no penalty was issued. K & D were adhering to the rules.

Not really, the commissaire decided to "bend" the rules a bit, Vermaak should have made it public at dinner that evening.

Burry and Suzi really won it.

It is the right of other contenders to appeal.

They did not.

It is the prerogative of the race officials to 'bend the rules' in the name of safety.

Hi there chaps!

1. During the ABSA Cape Epic where Burry got outside assistance in the form of a wheel from another rider and got a one hour time penalty K & D were one of the first teams to complain to the race officials...however a certain team manager has evidence that K & D also got outside assistance in this same race but it was "swept under the carpet"...

That being said Burry has done alot for SA cycling, but everytime he races locally, two of SA's finest can't beat him on the bike and look for technicalities. What has K & D done on the world stage for SA?

BIG FISH IN A SMALL POND COME TO MIND...

Marathon is not Burry's speciality but is supposed to be K & D's, and Burry beats them at that. Why dont't they race Burry in a CC race?

Burry has much bigger things to worry about than the colour of his socks and whether or not K & D approve of his kit...so rather than badmouthing him and trying to cut him down let support SA's Olympic hopefull.

Feel free to comment...

GO BURRY!

:clap: BRILLIANT first post... clearly you have some inside info here. :clap:

My guess is that DG and KE decided not to take jackets after Burry took one in a last ditch effort to get the Epic win they've been hunting for since 08. Burry and Suzie outclassed and outrode them. KE and DG followed good PR advice not to go and get their panties in a knot about this one too. They already have a reputation for whinging when things dont go their way.

Became very much a non issue, still it's not to say to there's no merit to highlighting the issue and the possible ramifications because it did raise a some valid questions.

It is the prerogative of the race officials to 'bend the rules' in the name of safety.

You are so wrong on this one

You cannot bend rules once you start that you head down a slippery slope. RULES ARE RULES. Its called integrity.

Same as me saying whats a small shortcut here orr there?? Nobody has the right to "bend" rules in any sport.

:clap: BRILLIANT first post... clearly you have some inside info here. :clap:

My guess is that DG and KE decided not to take jackets after Burry took one in a last ditch effort to get the Epic win they've been hunting for since 08. Burry and Suzie outclassed and outrode them. KE and DG followed good PR advice not to go and get their panties in a knot about this one too. They already have a reputation for whinging when things dont go their way.

Again you not getting it, this matter should have nothing to do with Burry and KE it about the integrity of the sport. Dont make this a personal war , the matter at hand is not personal. Its about right and wrong if you enter a competetion and the rules state such and such and a particpant violates the stipulated rule then he/she must be diciplined according to the rules. Case closed. simple as that. No but but but it was cold, and burry was going to win anyway, that means swett f all. The rules are the rules end of.

I will add some fuel to the debate. Personally I think the opinion of rules are rules are just dumb!

That is like approaching a red traffic light in the middle of the night and you notice their is an armed gang. So you choose to stop at the red traffic light, even though the intersection is clear and then get attacked by the gang. Afterwards, you explain that rules are rules, you are not suppose to drive over traffic lights. That is dumb.

Now I am not for anyone just going ahead and breaking the rules. However an incident such as this should be reviewed by the race organisers and a decision should then be made whether or not an offence occurred and if it should be penalised. This may or may not have happened.

For Burry and Christoph to have been penalised by an hour for this incident, which I believe to be a health issue would have been ludicrous. Similarly, not allowing jackets to KE and DG was a foolish judgement, considering the conditions.