WHO REALLY WON THE 2012 EPIC ?

bassasdaindia

Could have / would have / should have does not count. History will say the race was really won by the team who stood on top of the podium at the finish.
agreed

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to me its simple if the manager of a team that is supposed to know the rules wanted to give his team jackets midway through a stage, and other pro riders did take jackets, its obvious that none of the pro's and their teams regarded this as a breach of conduct, However it seems that the race organizers and refree's did. Since it probably wasnt spelled out clearly in the rules it was probably dropped instead of creating a chaotic situation and bad publicity since there would have been no real advantage the riders anyway.

Which to me is the right way to handle the situation, if this behaviour is a breach then it should be clearly defined and communicated and it obviously was not since its not just one person that wanted to make use of protective wear.

lol asweome avataar

Absolutely.

Just says so much about the integrity of the Pros & the sport.

Any sport to be honest.

Edited by Dangle

Just says so much about the integrity of the Pros & the sport.

When there is money involved...everyone wants an edge... It's human and transpires in all walks of life and sport. if you believe it doesn't happen on every single supersport channel then you should be watching cartoon network.

If kevin and David "found" their raincoats lying on the side of the road after they "blew" out of the team cars window I'm sure they would have picked them up and Burry and Christoff or anyone else would not have said anything either.

That stage was ridiculous in the wet, and regardless of rules the safety of the riders must overrule. When I say safety that includes putting the health of riders in jeopardy.

It was raining at the start...granted... but only later near water point two was it so freezing that a huge number of competitors pulled out due to hypothermia. Elite athletes have extraordinary low fat percentages and can easily fall fate to this. Unless you were there..and riding...I don't think you can pass comment about wether or not Burry needed a jacket, the fact that K&D could not take jackets is another issue altogether.

Could you imagine the headlines and disaster for the race if the headline read "Epic Comm denies clothing - Podium teams hospitalized"

I hear what you are saying but surely it should be part of your strategy and to have the correct preparation from the Team to make sure you have the correct gear before setting out? Pretty much the same as F1 and tyres.

A little off topic, but if we talk who actually won the epic? What about this handicap system the corporate mtb introduced ? In other words like golf, could an amateur biker have won the Epic ?

This is a bit like a Bulls supporter complaining about a rugby call that went against them. At the end of the day history will show that the winners were the guys that stood at 1st place on the podium.

There is no point moaning now...

I hear what you are saying but surely it should be part of your strategy and to have the correct preparation from the Team to make sure you have the correct gear before setting out? Pretty much the same as F1 and tyres.

Lol, F1 is the worst example i wanted to add F1 and their brilliance in "bending" rules to my previous comment thought the better of it. Not a single year goes by where they dont do something illegal then try to fight that its legal, after 10 races where it helped a team they loose the battle and it doesnt make a diff since the races have been won. Case in point this year are aero holes in the floorboards, bunch of races completed and now its declared illegal, same with flexible wings, blow diffusers etc etc. Where there is money involved and the rules are not 100% defined, it will be bent broken and raped, thats the nature of profesionalism.

Concur, as well as I don't believe everything I read in magazines, especially the local ones.

Wait a minute... didn't you write some articles for the mag in question?! :ph34r:

hahaha :whistling: just teasing!

But yeah... I don't believe everything I read in People

Lol, F1 is the worst example i wanted to add F1 and their brilliance in "bending" rules to my previous comment thought the better of it. Not a single year goes by where they dont do something illegal then try to fight that its legal, after 10 races where it helped a team they loose the battle and it doesnt make a diff since the races have been won. Case in point this year are aero holes in the floorboards, bunch of races completed and now its declared illegal, same with flexible wings, blow diffusers etc etc. Where there is money involved and the rules are not 100% defined, it will be bent broken and raped, thats the nature of profesionalism.

I was only comparing the tyre stratergies, nothing else.

When there is money involved...everyone wants an edge... It's human and transpires in all walks of life and sport. if you believe it doesn't happen on every single supersport channel then you should be watching cartoon network.

I can give you a prime example of a team that is not looking for an edge... Bafana Bafana. Unless they just really suck at cheating.

Interesting little question for you fella's

Rules are rules right ?

So in the 2005 (If I recall the correct year) edition of the Epic, it pissed with rain on day 1.

It was a horrendous day.

My partner and I didn't have too much of a bad day as we took spare pads with on the stage.

The race rules clearly stated a cut-off time.

This was extended by an hour and when a big chunk of the field were still not in, it was extended by another hour, not just did this happen, but all DNF were relinquished.

Now this is not right, is it, especially to those who rode themselves in to a stupor to make the cut-off.

Bottom line, the race commissaire reserves the right to "bend" the rules at his discretion.

Kevin should have made public there and then what their decision was and perhaps there would not have been a hunt for sensationalism in print afterwards.

Wait a minute... didn't you write some articles for the mag in question?! :ph34r:

hahaha :whistling: just teasing!

But yeah... I don't believe everything I read in People

I did, along time ago.

Can anybody tell the story please, did Burry take a jacket from the team manager/supporter or did he take it from one of the bystanders?

Edited by scuzzy

I see your point, but I was there and the temperature mid way through plummeted, the wind chill factor was huge and it occurred on a section that did not require you to pedal, or was not possible to pedal through. You could not have forseen this and thus the scramble for warmth.

I watched as a friend of mine stood in front of me - BLUE, passed out on her feet, eyes rolling back in her head, shaking uncontrollably and still wanting to continue. I would have given her my only raincoat but it was too little too late. She did not continue under orders from the medic. She could have passed out while descending and killed herself.

Which transgression is worse?

Kevin and David struggled with a puncture on stage 2/3 and lost 10-15 minutes stopping a few times... You say race strategy? Should they not have specified more puncture resistant tires?

Originally the race rules did not allow for replacement wheels etc at tech zones...now they do. The race will evolve, the racing got better as teams weren't out of the game if they suffered a failure.

a jacket... seriously. its not like they gave him new legs or a boost up a hill

Hells Bells ... they should have been given extra time. A leather jacket would slow him down and in brown could be a serious fashion disaster ....