WHO REALLY WON THE 2012 EPIC ?

bassasdaindia

Again you not getting it, this matter should have nothing to do with Burry and KE it about the integrity of the sport. Dont make this a personal war , the matter at hand is not personal. Its about right and wrong if you enter a competetion and the rules state such and such and a particpant violates the stipulated rule then he/she must be diciplined according to the rules. Case closed. simple as that. No but but but it was cold, and burry was going to win anyway, that means swett f all. The rules are the rules end of.

That Springbok foot was out of touch in the 2007 WC final - should the result be changed now?

Edited by MorewoodMad

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again you not getting it, this matter should have nothing to do with Burry and KE it about the integrity of the sport. Dont make this a personal war , the matter at hand is not personal. Its about right and wrong if you enter a competetion and the rules state such and such and a particpant violates the stipulated rule then he/she must be diciplined according to the rules. Case closed. simple as that. No but but but it was cold, and burry was going to win anyway, that means swett f all. The rules are the rules end of.

Dude, the thing is that it's not "end of"

that's why race comissaires are there. To interpret the rules, and determine whether a transgression (or perceived transgression) was in contravention of the rules, and to make a ruling on it.

It may have been that, due to the nature of the weather, and the fact that it was not mechanical or nutritional assistance, and had a direct relation to a competitor's health, that the "transgression" was judged not severe enough to warrant a penalty.

In any event, as Michael outlined above, rules are rules but some need to be bent in certain instances. This may well have been one.

If KE & DG had protested on the basis that Burry & Christof were allowed jackets, but they not, then they may have had a leg to stand on. But then, their manager may just have been blowing smoke up some peoples' asses when he said that the organizers "didn't allow" him to give KE & DG the jackets. He may never have asked, and then said "I wasn't allowed" Not the first time that would have happened...

Waterpiont 2 was like a war zone, we spend an hour there waiting for repairs and the stuff I witnessed during that hour was amazing.

The one official at one stage was on the radio with someone at the finish trying to explain to him how bad it was....was a bit funny at that stage because it seemed the person on the other side just did not want to understand how bad it was going….and he used some very descriptive language.

The mechanics had a very bad day that day, they were under a lot of pressure .Actually send my partner off without refitting he's breaks because they had to give attention to 10 people at a time. Everybody was begging for help!!

Loads of people just got of their bikes and got into the kombi’s to try and heat up and some got told they should not continue.

Really an Epic day, one most will never forget!!

Rules are rules yes but I think in this case the info should have been communicated to the various race officials that it will not be enforced due to the conditions and that would have made it easier for the pro’s to just go ahead and get a jacket from where ever they can.

I know the assistant course designer and he was being instructed by waterpoint 2 officials to make ready a nearby barn with beds, space blankets and fires to heat it - luckily they did not need to use it.

At that point I was exchanging rear wheels with a mate who pulled out right there. I still had to swap my own cassette ( with tech zone tools) and rotor (try using a tiny multitool on 6 rotorbolts with frozen fingers) while shivering my ass off, and getting soaked from above.

It was mayhem...I witnessed things there I will never forget.

And here i was thinking Lance won the Epic all on his own,

he doesnt need a partner as he only has 1 nut.

You are so wrong on this one

You cannot bend rules once you start that you head down a slippery slope. RULES ARE RULES. Its called integrity.

Sorry dude....you can.

It has been done COUNTLESS times. Even stages in the Giro has been shortened IN THE STAGE due to safety reasons.

Where have you been the last 20 years in cycling? oi.

My guess is that K&D's manager said to them not to take the jackets as this may be the back door they're looking for...

Dude, the thing is that it's not "end of"

that's why race comissaires are there. To interpret the rules, and determine whether a transgression (or perceived transgression) was in contravention of the rules, and to make a ruling on it.

It may have been that, due to the nature of the weather, and the fact that it was not mechanical or nutritional assistance, and had a direct relation to a competitor's health, that the "transgression" was judged not severe enough to warrant a penalty.

In any event, as Michael outlined above, rules are rules but some need to be bent in certain instances. This may well have been one.

If KE & DG had protested on the basis that Burry & Christof were allowed jackets, but they not, then they may have had a leg to stand on. But then, their manager may just have been blowing smoke up some peoples' asses when he said that the organizers "didn't allow" him to give KE & DG the jackets. He may never have asked, and then said "I wasn't allowed" Not the first time that would have happened...

From the Epic statement on the issue: Rules 2.4 and 37 also state that the discretion of the UCI Commissaires is applied in the interpretation of all race rules.

I know the assistant course designer and he was being instructed by waterpoint 2 officials to make ready a nearby barn with beds, space blankets and fires to heat it - luckily they did not need to use it.

At that point I was exchanging rear wheels with a mate who pulled out right there. I still had to swap my own cassette ( with tech zone tools) and rotor (try using a tiny multitool on 6 rotorbolts with frozen fingers) while shivering my ass off, and getting soaked from above.

It was mayhem...I witnessed things there I will never forget.

Your portrayal of that day makes me think of this movie.

http://www.itiscannizzaro.net/Ianni/booksweb/sitodarkness/immagini/apocalypse1.jpg

My guess is that K&D's manager said to them not to take the jackets as this may be the back door they're looking for...

Funny that ... I also had that thought floating around my head.

Chaps KE and DG started and finished the race with sleeveless 360 life jackets.

Burry chose to start with a Spez rain jacket, take it off half way, and then proceeded to borrow a leather jacket 10km from the finish?

Hardly a health issue here methinks.

Edited by bradwentzel

Didn't KE and DG take an SA flag from supporters before the finish line at the Epic - clearly outside assistance and a 1 hour penalty should be in order here... :whistling:

That Springbok foot was out of touch in the 2007 WC final - should the result be changed now?

Arjen Robben was expected to act like a mad man rolling on the floor to earn a penalty for his team in the 2010 WC final, he of course did not do this, giving Spain the win.]

So yes I feel you, rules get made up all the time as officials go along.

You talking about the England foot and after countless reviews it was judged to be out of touch so whats your point??

You talking about the England foot and after countless reviews it was judged to be out of touch so whats your point??

Some issues are marginal and could go both ways. That's what race commisioners are for. Its no use of basing your comments on what some tjop at TREAD with a laptop and a spellchecker thinks. If this was a real issue, there would have been a proper press release about it at the time.