Ergofit Shocker!!!

Overlord

After reading about the benefits of having a proper bike-setup done I took the plunge and booked a set-up.

Now just to make all understand the topic title here is a bit of info.

1,92m tall and been riding 60-61cm frames all my life.

175cranks and a saddle height of 82.

After my measurements was done and fed to the computer it spat out an answer.

Frame size = 57cm!!!!!!!

Stem length = 115

Did I shrink or what? :eek:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Computers! Baaaah! What do they know about cycling anyhow? Ask it which races it's won!

Just because you did something all your life, doesn't mean that its correct.

(I am not saying that you or Ergofit is wrong. Just saying)

What did the Ergofitter say?

Is he/she willing to re measure or is he/she confident of the output?

The frame and stem size sounds good to me,I am 1.88m and rides a 55,( was ridind a 57 before with a 90mm stem, now I have a 110 mm stem on the 55 cm frame) and the smaller frame feels much more comfortable. Can you not perhaps lend a 57 cm frame bike and try it out with the suggested set-up?

i am 205cm and ride 63cm frame. why don't you try richard baxter at cycle fit www.cyclefit.co.za for a second opinion. My saddle height increased and moved forward, much better power to pedals, sit better.

Just because you did something all your life, doesn't mean that its correct.

(I am not saying that you or Ergofit is wrong. Just saying)

What did the Ergofitter say?

Is he/she willing to re measure or is he/she confident of the output?

+1. Maybe get them to check again.

Ergofit (as far as I know) has different riding styles (racing, recreational etc) which also influences the setup output.

Most peeps can fit on 2 or 3 different sized frames adjusted with appropriately sized stems etc.

Watching the pros, it seems smaller frames and very long stems are certainly in fashion.

Presume this is road bike fit. I am 181.9 cm according to my Ergofit measurements which recommended a 56.1cm (Top tube) frame with a 110mm stem and 172.5 cranks.. Remember they are also considering leg length in relation to height, and flexibility.

I am much more comfortable on my bike now. That said there was a glitch in my initial setup and I had them redo it.

Edited by davidlangebaan

Great article by one of the best in the business of fitting, Peter White

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Methodology

Notice that in most of this there is no mention of measuring body parts. And nowhere do I have you dropping plumb lines from knees, positioning handlebars so they block views of front hubs, comparing the length of your forearm to the distance between the front of your saddle to your handlebar, etc. My methodology is quite different from what most people are doing in bike shops. The Fit Kit and other marketed fitting systems are based on the measurements of lots of different riders and their bikes. It assumes that the averages of those measurements are somehow going to result in a good fit for you.

After reading about the benefits of having a proper bike-setup done I took the plunge and booked a set-up.

Now just to make all understand the topic title here is a bit of info.

1,92m tall and been riding 60-61cm frames all my life.

175cranks and a saddle height of 82.

After my measurements was done and fed to the computer it spat out an answer.

Frame size = 57cm!!!!!!!

Stem length = 115

Did I shrink or what? :eek:

Ha ha......do some stretching

I am 1,9177

and my last and current bike are 58cm(XL).That of course is with a sloping top tube.

Leg length is a big issue here.I have a chum who under normal conditions would ride a large Merida but when they measured his leg lenth he dropped to a med.

I currently ride a large Scott. After Ergofit I need a frame with a 55.5cm TT and at best a 17cm headtube. My stem length is at 100mm and my cranks need to be 175cm as an ideal but I can use 172.5mm. As previous posters have said it takes into account flexibility, riding style and frequency. Consider that your leg lenth and torso length might not be the right ratio as say someone else of a similiar height.Yes the pros seem to have their stems slammed down all the way with dimensions of 120 or more but cosider that they probably have custom frames so manufacturersncan play around with top tube and headtube dimensions to improve rigidity with a particular setup. I am much more comfortable now on my bike and did not need to change any components.

Edited by Super Mario

At 1.76 I ride a 54 with a 110mm stem. Am going to change the stem to a 90mm as I get some numbing shoulder pain after a while (did it with the mtb and it solved the issue). Interesting thing is that after a professional setup my knees told me something was bad, so I raised the saddle height by 20mm, and have not had any knee issue for three years... just lame shoulder blades and sore hands.

BTW, apparently my ideal size is a 52 cm.... :mellow:

Edited by DaLoCo

There is often a tendancy to want to ride a bike that is bigger than what would be best suited to a persons height. Often see people on bikes that you can tell are too big. And then they also have stretched legs with toes pointing down. I think it's a phsycoligocal effect of bigger is better ( happens all the time

:-) )

In reality it is better to ride a slightly smaller frame than a slightly larger frame. Better handling etc.

Also as was mentioned, people have different leg lengths in ralation to torso which should be taken into account. I have a longer torso, so ride a smaller bike but need a longer stem. You should actually measure your inner leg to determine frame size and not total length.

Try a smaller frame for a test ride and see what the difference is like. At the end of the day you need to feel comfortable, regardless of what the computer says.