Tour de France 2012

'Dale

Who will win the 2012 Tour de France?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The 2012 Tour De France?

• Cadel Evans
    • Frank Schleck
    • Bradley Wiggins
    • Jurgen van der Broeck
    • Levi Leipheimer
    • Robert Gesink
    • Vincenzo Nibali
    • Alejandro Valverde
    • Other (please specify)

How in the world can Wiggens be faster than Cancellara?? Or Froom for that matter?

Dodge I tell you.

Heard of superior power to weight ratio before?

The big question everyone should be asking is why or how did Bradley Wiggins go so much better on the time trial than Evans and the rest of the GC contenders?

As the last two days in the medium mountains illustrate, Wiggins and Evans climb at about the same rate. Since both riders are similar in weight (Evans at 67kg and Wiggins at 69kg), they push a similar amount of power. Wiggins 2kg actually suggests that he pushes about 3% more power than Wiggins on a climb.

Assuming that Evans pushes about 440 watts at threshold (6.5 watts per kg), Wiggins probably pushes closer to 450 watts. Do those 10 extra watts actually translate into 3% more speed? Maybe. But bicycle aerodynamics aslo comes into play here. Just compare the positions of Wiggins and Evans. Wiggins back is flatter and his arms form less of an air scoop, which creates additional front area friction. Likely, Evans has optimized his position to favor power over aerodynamics, but the trade off is not working for him.

http://cyclingcommentary.typepad.com/cycling_commentary/

post-25309-0-42334100-1341917603.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

News coming through of an arrest at the Cofidis hotel...

Just saw this, one arrested and 2 in custody. Eish here we go again.

So, are the frogs still going to insist that they are the only clean riders in the peleton?

How in the world can Wiggens be faster than Cancellara?? Or Froom for that matter?

Dodge I tell you.

This time is different...

Anyone else notice that the current polka dot jersey is the same chap who came second with Christoff Sauser in the 2005 Cape Epic?

Frederik Kessiakoff is another mountain bike TdF rider!

That's if one wants to sell something as special as that.

:thumbup:

Ditto, and no I won't sell, too sentimental for me :thumbup:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Bradley_Wiggins.jpg/800px-Bradley_Wiggins.jpg

Oh, the hilarity. I blame Lance.

Wiggo raced with them too. ergo it must be him.

Edited by The Dictator

"The Cofidis team sacked longtime manager Eric Boyer shortly before the Tour de France due to a lack of results. He had come on board in 2005 and helped clean up the team after previous doping scandals, but the results on the road were relatively modest.

The team replaced Boyer with Yvon Sanquer, who worked with the Astana team until the end of 2010. Di Gregorio joined that squad the following season, staying there for a year before moving to Cofidis over the winter."

Lack of results? did he try to race clean perhaps?

Astana.... ermmm....

Wiggo raced with them too. ergo it must be him.

Lance was at Cofidis long before wiggo...