Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

Rumour.....cycling Australia is breaking ranks from the UCI and are going to be looking at amnesty deals.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rumour.....cycling Australia is breaking ranks from the UCI and are going to be looking at amnesty deals.

Yeah, I saw that.

Sky Procycling will ask all of its staff members — among them sporting director Sean Yates, a former teammate and longtime friend of Lance Armstrong’s — to confirm that they have no issues that could breach the team’s zero-tolerance policy regarding doping.

Should I send you a link to the funnies forum?

Nice tone in this article about cycling, in entirety.

http://bicycling.com...after-the-fire/

Nice one :)

Having read the books, in hamilton's and Millar's words, even it's high unlikely, it may just be possible, that the "men of the valley floor" would have been least likely to dope... so you may be able to keep your admiration for the old man JV :)

Any news today other than Sky's attempt at damage control?

Do you think they paid Wiggo extra to say some of that?

Do you think they paid Wiggo extra to say some of that?

Wiggo shouldn't talk to the press, they are going to take him apart. They won't forget his outburst.

Oh, look:

London - London's Sunday Times said it may take legal action against cyclist Lance Armstrong, including pursuing him for alleged fraud over a libel settlement, in the wake of the United States Anti-Doping Agency's report labeling him a drug cheat.

The newspaper, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp , is "considering taking action to recover the money spent on a libel case he (Armstrong) brought and to pursue him for fraud," said a Sunday Times spokesperson.

Armstrong sued the Sunday Times and two of its journalists over an article that appeared in the newspaper in 2004 concerning the doping allegations. After a series of rulings in Armstrong's favor in the UK courts, the two sides reached a settlement, the size of which was not disclosed. The newspaper also issued an apology to Armstrong.

One senior source at the newspaper said that the case cost it about $1 million.

There are precedents in the UK for the repayment of money won in libel suits. In one of the best-known instances, British novelist and former politician Jeffrey Archer paid back the damages he won in a libel case against the Daily Star newspaper. This followed his sentencing to four years jail in 2001 after being found guilty of perjury and perverting the course of justice in that libel case.

In August, Armstrong announced that he would no longer contest charges brought by the anti-doping agency, which earlier this week released a report and documentation, including affidavits from former Armstrong teammates, accusing him of not only using performance enhancing drugs but imposing a "doping culture" on his team.

Mark Fabiani, a spokesman for Armstrong, said that he had no comment on the Sunday Times threat of legal action. Armstrong still emphatically denies doping, Fabiani said.

Fabiani rejected speculation that, in light of the anti-doping agency's accusations, U.S. federal prosecutors might re-open a criminal investigation into a cycling team partly-owned by Armstrong, which was closed earlier this year.

A reopening of the case was "entirely implausible," Fabiani said. "There is not a single thing in the USADA report that the US attorney did not have," he said.

Yeah, saw that...

Talk about a can factory of worms....

Everyone and his dog that Lance sued in the past is going to be coming for theirs now.

Oh, look:

London - London's Sunday Times said it may take legal action against cyclist Lance Armstrong, including pursuing him for alleged fraud over a libel settlement, in the wake of the United States Anti-Doping Agency's report labeling him a drug cheat.

The newspaper, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp , is "considering taking action to recover the money spent on a libel case he (Armstrong) brought and to pursue him for fraud," said a Sunday Times spokesperson.

Armstrong sued the Sunday Times and two of its journalists over an article that appeared in the newspaper in 2004 concerning the doping allegations. After a series of rulings in Armstrong's favor in the UK courts, the two sides reached a settlement, the size of which was not disclosed. The newspaper also issued an apology to Armstrong.

One senior source at the newspaper said that the case cost it about $1 million.

There are precedents in the UK for the repayment of money won in libel suits. In one of the best-known instances, British novelist and former politician Jeffrey Archer paid back the damages he won in a libel case against the Daily Star newspaper. This followed his sentencing to four years jail in 2001 after being found guilty of perjury and perverting the course of justice in that libel case.

In August, Armstrong announced that he would no longer contest charges brought by the anti-doping agency, which earlier this week released a report and documentation, including affidavits from former Armstrong teammates, accusing him of not only using performance enhancing drugs but imposing a "doping culture" on his team.

Mark Fabiani, a spokesman for Armstrong, said that he had no comment on the Sunday Times threat of legal action. Armstrong still emphatically denies doping, Fabiani said.

Fabiani rejected speculation that, in light of the anti-doping agency's accusations, U.S. federal prosecutors might re-open a criminal investigation into a cycling team partly-owned by Armstrong, which was closed earlier this year.

A reopening of the case was "entirely implausible," Fabiani said. "There is not a single thing in the USADA report that the US attorney did not have," he said.

One legal case not mentioned is the 2006 UK libel case which was settled out of court against The London Times newspaper over an article which previewed David Walsh’s LA Confidential .

Fortunately for LA, Times Newspapers is owned by News International and Rupert Murdoch is very much a let bygones be bygones type of guy, and is unlikely to want to fight this. NOT.

http://www.pressgaze...storycode=49916

Also, as Lord Archer AKA Jeffery Archer found to his chagrin, lying to a court when you are suing a newspaper for libel is a criminal offence in the UK and if you are guilty you go to jail; even if you are a celebrity and a member of the House of Lords.

From wiki"On May 3, 2010, Pellizotti's name was released by La Gazzetta dello Sport as being one of several riders under investigation by the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) for "irregular blood values". Pellizotti was reported to have had "suspicious values" on the eve of the 2009 Tour de France and request has been made by the UCI for investigation.[2] This was confirmed later that day in a UCI press release.[3] He was due to be one of Liquigas-Doimo' team leaders at the 2010 Giro d'Italia, but was immediately pulled from the squad and replaced with Vincenzo Nibali. His team said they have faith in the explanation put forward by Pellizotti and are conducting a further investigation.[4] Shortly after the end of the season, the suspension was lifted on the grounds of lack of evidence, and Pellizotti declared a wish to seek financial redress from the UCI.[5] Liquigas-Doimo declined to re-sign Pellizotti after the 2010 season. Pellizotti's case reached the Court of Arbitration for Sport in March 2011. After asking the court for a speedy verdict, he was suspended for two years after it upheld the UCI's appeal. His ban lasted until May 2012. The Court also annulled all results from May 17, 2009, meaning that Pellizotti lost a stage win and third place overall in the Giro d'Italia and a stage win and overall victory in the mountains and combativity classifications in theTour de France.[6]

Following the conclusion of his ban, Pellizotti signed with the Androni Giocattoli-Venezuela team.[7][8]"

Yes I'm aware the precedent has been set for the Court of Arbitration to do as they please. what was their reason for the 2 yr suspension as there was a lack of evidence in the "suspicious blood values" case. Sound more like a don't you be trying to sue us boy, we'll whip your ass if try that stunt (sueing the UCI) again.

Pharmstrong is going to be a difficult case. First someone has to actually find him guilty and not have official bodies publish novels under different titles.

What happens going forward depends on the UCI. With another ex USPS rider coming forward and claiming he also doped the noose is getting tighter but unless Armstrong confesses to doping there no real proof. Just anecdotes

Lance co-rider admits doping

Sydney - Australia's former Olympian Matt White on Saturday confessed to being a part of the deepening Lance Armstrong doping conspiracy and quit his roles with Australian pro cycling team Orica-GreenEDGE and Cycling Australia.

White, 38, admitted to being part of a general strategy of doping when he rode on the Armstrong-led US Postal Services team from 2001 to 2003.

He announced he was stepping down from his jobs as the sports director of the emerging Australian professional team Orica-GreenEDGE and coordinator of Cycling Australia's men's road racing programme.

"I am sad to say that I was part of a team where doping formed part of the team's strategy and I too was involved in that strategy," White said in a statement.

"My involvement is something I am not proud of and I sincerely apologise to my fans, media, family and friends who trusted me and also to other athletes in my era that consciously chose not to dope."

White's confession comes amid fallout from the widening scandal, with Armstrong having been stripped of his seven Tour de France victories and banned from all sport for life after a long investigation by the United States Sports Drugs Agency.

White was named in USADA's findings from evidence submitted by former teammate Floyd Landis, who has been central to the inquiry, reports said Saturday.

In the USADA report Landis - who was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title for doping - gave evidence that White took the blood booster EPO and testosterone, The Sydney Morning Herald said.

In a development late Saturday, White said he had decided to stand down from his positions.

"Given my admissions, I have been in contact with my employees and will be voluntarily standing down from my positions with the National Men's High Performance Programme with Cycling Australia, and as a Sports Director with GreenEDGE Cycling while inquiries into my case are conducted and the Board of Cycling Australia and GreenEDGE make a determination regarding my future with each organisation," he said in his statement.

"I will be refraining from making any further comments until this process has run its due course."

The Orica-GreenEDGE team said it supported White's decision to stand down from the team.

"The management of GreenEDGE supports Matt White's decision to step down from his position with the team during the process of evaluating his involvement in the revelations put forward by the recently released USADA report," the GreenEDGE team said in a statement.

"We hope for a quick and clear resolution of this issue and will await the decision of the relevant authorities."

Armstrong, who denies taking banned substances, has been accused by USADA of being at the heart of "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme" ever seen in sport.

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/Lance-teammate-admits-doping-20121013

Some of the people who were mercilessly bullied & intimidated by LA over the years (some even had their lives destroyed by him) might finally be seeing the end of the nightmare.

It was eye-opening to me reading about what he put people like Betsy Andreu through, poor lady.

Over the last couple of years we've heard talk here and there that LA is not a very nice chappie, but I did not realise until now what a piece of work he really is as a human being. I mean, the things it seem he's done to people purely out of viscous spite - and an almost obsessive need to dominate - has been the main cause of my change in feelings from admiration and respect to anger and disgust.