Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

So I think it's fairly clear that the testing regime AS IT WAS was unable to catch the cheats.

The difference with Cheatstrong (as some call him) is that they have never been able to ban him nor take away any of his titles.

One has to ask why, and if there are too many loopholes, then the gaps need to be filled.

At the moment as it stands the guy is a hero and an inspiration to many cyclists and non-cycling fans of the sport.

If he has doped, and they can put the final nail in his coffin, then great I say, it will allow all those who idolise him to bury the hatchet and move on with life.

Looking at Armstrong I reckon they are having a hard time to nail him, how many more times before this goes a away and resurfaces again.

My choices, final nail or leave him be.

I reckon had he not come in to the world of triathlon as he has of late, we would never have heard any speculations of his doping ever again (in the press and media that is)

Los die bliksem, he has to live with the lies all by himself if that's he case, otherwise I am going to have to support chess (no disrespect to the game, it's just that Kasparov has never been under speculation)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference with Cheatstrong (as some call him) is that they have never been able to ban him nor take away any of his titles.

One has to ask why, and if there are too many loopholes, then the gaps need to be filled.

At the moment as it stands the guy is a hero and an inspiration to many cyclists and non-cycling fans of the sport.

If he has doped, and they can put the final nail in his coffin, then great I say, it will allow all those who idolise him to bury the hatchet and move on with life.

Looking at Armstrong I reckon they are having a hard time to nail him, how many more times before this goes a away and resurfaces again.

I reckon had he not come in to the world of triathlon as he has of late, we would never have heard any speculations of his doping ever again (in the press and media that is)

Los die bliksem, he has to live with the lies all by himself if that's he case, otherwise I am going to have to support chess (no disrespect to the game, it's just that Kasparov has never been under speculation)

Lol actually there has been many doping scandals in chess.

FIDE, in close collaboration with the National Chess Federations, the International Olympic Committee and the National Olympic Committees dedicates its efforts to ensuring that in chess the spirit of Fair play prevails, leads the fight against doping in sport and takes measures in order to prevent endangering the health of competitors. FIDE has accepted the World Anti Doping Code and its international standards. Within FIDE the body responsible for this policy is the Medical Commission. 15.2.

The Commission will agree from time to time, with the International bodies, on the list of prohibited substances and methods of doping that are applicable to chess players. The Commission will be responsible for the Anti Doping regulations and their execution.

Professional chess player Vassily Ivanchuk, born in Berezhany, Ukraine in 1969, has been a grandmaster for the past 20 years and is currently ranked third in the world. The man with black hair and bedroom eyes is known as "Big Chucky" by his fellow chess players. Why? Because, after losing a game, he goes into the forest at night and howls at the moon to drive out the demons. Because he walks around in shorts in freezing temperatures. Because he likes to sit in dark rooms. Because he usually looks at the ceiling instead of the board during a chess match. Because he tries to fold the oversized winner's check handed out after a tournament down to pocket size. And because he, as World Champion Visvanathan Anand says, lives on "Planet Ivanchuk."

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,1380251,00.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/static/sys/v9/icons/ic_lupe.png

AP

International chess player, Vasili Ivanchuk.

Who knows what was going through Ivanchuk's head when, on Nov. 25 in Dresden, the last day of the Chess Olympiad, he lost to Gata Kamsky? What we do know, however, is that when the game against the American ended, a judge asked Ivanchuk to submit to a drug test. Instead, he stormed out of the room in the conference center, kicked a concrete pillar in the lobby, pounded a countertop in the cafeteria with his fists and then vanished into the coatroom. Throughout this performance, he was followed by a handful of officials.

No one could convince Ivanchuk to provide a small amount of urine for the test. And because refusal is treated as a positive test result, he is now considered guilty of doping and could be barred from professional chess for two years.

The incident in Dresden and the possibility of a professional ban for Ivanchuk has caused outrage in the chess world. The players, who fraternize with one another, say that accusing one of them of doping is an insult to their honor and intelligence. Letters of protest were issued, and players are accusing bureaucrats in the world of championship chess of destroying the game, because, as they insist everyone should know, doping provides no benefits in chess.

That is not entirely correct. Combining chess and doping may be a highly unlikely combination, but it's not impossible.

Drug tests were introduced at international chess tournaments in 2001. The World Anti-Doping Agency classifies chess as a "low risk sport," and so far no one has been convicted of doping. But what exactly does that mean?

It makes sense that anabolic steroids, the bulk-producing drug of choice for weightlifters, and EPO, the wonder drug of the cycling world, would not improve a chess player's performance. But when a chess player nears the end of a match and comes under mounting pressure, he can hyperventilate, and his pulse can shoot up to 160 and his arterial blood pressure to 200. In that situation, beta-blockers could help a player keep his head clear.

German grandmaster Helmut Pfleger, an internist and psychotherapist from Munich, says that because a player cannot know in advance exactly when these symptoms will begin, "a performance-enhancing dose is hardly possible." Pfleger tested the effects of beta-blockers on himself in 1979, in a match against Russian player Boris Spasski. "My blood pressure and pulse plunged, and my game fell apart completely."

It is undisputed, however, that caffeine can give a chess player a leg up, but the stimulant is no longer on the list of banned substances. Many players are passionate coffee drinkers.

It would certainly make sense for a chess player to take Ritalin or Modafinil. Both substances increase the ability to concentrate. Students take the drugs during exams, and doping inspectors test chess players for both substances.

Edited by TNT1

Lol actually there has been many doping scandals in chess.

But Kasparov (read Armstrong of the chess world) is my idol :thumbup:

I agree - final nail or leave him be. the problem is they will probably stuff around for about 2 years tapping away at the nail with a feather duster and in the mean time the oak can't race tri - so its a final nail either way Edited by dracs

Instead, he stormed out of the room in the conference center, kicked a concrete pillar in the lobby, pounded a countertop in the cafeteria with his fists and then vanished into the coatroom. Throughout this performance, he was followed by a handful of officials.

Sounds like Check Mate to me.

Oh look. Another Armostrong investigation.

Hopefully this one has a conclusion.

I'm so over Armstrong and drugs. If they have enough evidence fry him - if not leave him the hell alone. This half pregnant crapola has got to stop.

I give it 3 years of court and media time before the charges are dropped/hidden/forgotten.

But Kasparov (read Armstrong of the chess world) is my idol :thumbup:

Would have thought she was more your type:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Natalia-Zhukova.jpg/472px-Natalia-Zhukova.jpg

Or maybe:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/Stefanowa_antoaneta_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg/474px-Stefanowa_antoaneta_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg

Although, this one has pretty eyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Kosinzewa_nadeshda_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg/500px-Kosinzewa_nadeshda_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg

Edited by TNT1

Would have thought she was more your type:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Natalia-Zhukova.jpg/472px-Natalia-Zhukova.jpg

Or maybe:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/Stefanowa_antoaneta_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg/474px-Stefanowa_antoaneta_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg

Although, this one has pretty eyes:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Kosinzewa_nadeshda_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg/500px-Kosinzewa_nadeshda_20081119_olympiade_dresden.jpg

Never thought I would see pics of the local Brakpan chess club.

Never thought I would see pics of the local Brakpan chess club.

Dude, we didn't have anything even close to this at the Brakpan chess club.

I have standards.

Fair enough I just picked a few women grand masters at random for you.

Dude, we didn't have anything even close to this at the Brakpan chess club.

Nothing wrong with Brakpan chess girls :thumbup:

post-7-0-43504700-1340100788.jpg

Interesting parallel between Roger Clemens (the LA of Baseball) and LA (the LA of Cycling!)

I've extracted some info from the NBA website. For those that don't know, Roger Clemens was accused of perjury when he claimed he had never taken Steroids or Growth hormones in front of Congress, when his former coach and teammates testified that he had...

"...Nothing that happens in the American justice system surprises me, so I barely batted an eye when I heard the not guilty verdict at around 5 p.m. EST today. The charges against Clemens, of course, stemmed from his televised testimony before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in February 2008 that he never took steroids or HGH.

Over the past 10 weeks, all Clemens' highly paid defence team had to do to win his case was create "reasonable doubt" in the minds of the 12- member jury, who deliberated for roughly 11 hours to arrive at a verdict. And when his lawyers started hammering away at Clemens' meek former trainer Brian McNamee, who had testified that he had injected the superstar pitcher with steroids and HGH between 1998 and 2001, you got the feeling there was little chance for conviction.

"If his lips are moving about this stuff, he's lying," Clemens' defence attorney Michael Attanasio said about McNamee while he cross-examined him.

Also during the trial, Attansio proclaimed that McNamee "defines reasonable doubt."

Another turning point was when Clemens' former teammate Andy Pettitte, who had previously testified that Clemens had told him he was using HGH about a dozen years earlier, admitted upon being cross-examined that there was a 50-50 chance that he had misheard Clemens during that conversation.

The verdict brings to an end a four-and-a-half year ordeal for Clemens that began with his televised testimony before Congress in 2008 in which he denied using steroids or HGH, despite allegations by McNamee in the Mitchell Report. Clemens' initial perjury trial was declared a mistrial when the prosecution introduced evidence that had been previously deemed inadmissable.

Arguably one of the top five pitchers in big league history, Clemens posted 354 wins and won seven Cy Young awards during a 24-year career spent primarily with the Red Sox and Yankees. Two of his Cy Young Awards, however, came with the Blue Jays in 1997 and 1998. The Rocket also owns 4,672 career strikeouts, which ranks him third all-time..."

Hope the USADA has their house in order or they are going to me made to look pretty stupid.....

1. So then his response is the standard I have never used banned substances.

2. I am the most tested human being ever, I have never tested positive.

1. Thats what everyone says untill they do test positive.

Only a clown, nobody looking for attention for his book or maybe a reborn Christian trying to score brownie points with the rest of the flock would admit to doping without a positive test to prove it.

LA aint either of the above.

2. Well if he is not the most tested, then he is pretty damn close to being the most tested.

Point is he has been tested tested tested and tested again without returning a conclusive positive that can be used as evidence against him.

Don’t bring up the bum cream (insufficient amount for a positive test) and epo positive samples (improper testing procedures) from the French Lab as conclusive positives.

So ignoring these for the reasons stated (in brackets) when else did he test positive?

Claims and acusations dont = positive proof.

I suspect some hubbers are on drugs but thats my opinion and does not mean its fact.

otherwise I am going to have to support chess (no disrespect to the game, it's just that Kasparov has never been under speculation)

Ahem...

In one famous instance, Garry Kasparov changed his move against Judit Polgár in 1994 after momentarily letting go of a piece. Kasparov went on to win the game. The tournament officials had video tape proving that his hand left the piece, but refused to release the video evidence and allow Polgár the win. A factor counting against Polgar was that she waited a whole day before complaining, and such claims must be made during the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_in_chess