Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

From Cycling Tips:

1999: Alex Zulle? He was caught for doping previously but never tested positive in 1999. If not, then Fernando Escartín?

2000: Jan Ullrich? Well, he’s already admitted his mistakes, but he never tested positive. If not, Fernando Escartín again?

2001: Jan Ullrich again? The German Cycling Federation (BDR) has even banned him from Cyclosportifes. Maybe the deceased Kivilev then?

2002: Beloki maybe? He wasn’t caught for doing anything dodgy at the time. Maybe José Azevedo then?

2003: Maybe Ullrich was clean this year. If not, then Haimar Zubeldia is the new winner.

2004: Andreas Klöden is next in line. Even though guilty by association, you gotta love Klödi. If not, José Azevedo wins again.

2005: Basso? Was he on the gear at this time? Maybe Cadel Evans then. I’ll support that.

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/armstrong1150px.jpg

From Bicycling Magazine, May 2011 (www.bicycling.com), produced by Charlie Layton (www.charlielayton.com)

The thing to note from this diagram is that the riders in black: Admitted to doping or were banned or suspended by a sanctioning group for doping; Suspended or fired by their teams or individually withdrew from races for some connection to doping; Were convicted of doping or paid a fine to settle charges related to it. Riders in black did not necessarily test positive in that particular Tour de France.

Im speechless..

Im my opinion Lance should never have made a comeback then they might have let it sleep..

He has been tested positive, I think 99' tour of switserland. But he paid them to make it go away. Funny as a month after that happened they received a large sum of money from lance.. I think the UCI also did.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or is the fact that the Tour de France is starting in two weeks time appearing as just too much of a conicidence?

Why is it that USADA, WADA, FBI or whoever only lay charges against him in June?

Does the head of USADA have an autobiography coming out this month?

I see the same pattern...

Perhaps it is to try and scare the 2012 TdF riders ^_^

Took

the wrong colour pill this morning...

Hope it wasn't a blue one otherwise you could also be banned !!!

EPO. Keep up.

Shouldn't have a problem keeping up....he took the blue pill :thumbup:

Im speechless..

Im my opinion Lance should never have made a comeback then they might have let it sleep..

He has been tested positive, I think 99' tour of switserland. But he paid them to make it go away. Funny as a month after that happened they received a large sum of money from lance.. I think the UCI also did.

1999 sample from tour was tested once EPO test developed after he retired according to L'Equipe and found to be EPO positive

2001 Tour de Suisse was allegedly covered up in return for a sling to UCI

In my opinion, why don't we just leave the guy alone? It's in the past, we can't change it and we shouldn't respect his fight with and survival of cancer any less. I mean he's done so much through LIVESTRONG, can't we just respect him for that?

In my opinion, why don't we just leave the guy alone? It's in the past, we can't change it and we shouldn't respect his fight with and survival of cancer any less. I mean he's done so much through LIVESTRONG, can't we just respect him for that?

So, because we respect his fight against cancer it's ok for him to lie and cheat. And make tons of cash for himself because of this lying and cheating?

Cycling will never clean up it's act if everything is ignored because it's in the past.

I mean he's done so much through LIVESTRONG, can't we just respect him for that?

No, I don't think we can. Personally, I can't, but that is just my opinion, I accept not everybody will share it.

How much he has done through LiveStrong is in question anyway, it would appear it is not the most efficient fundraising platform around (there were links to reports on this in prior threads).

Compound this with what happens if all the good he has done is based on a fraudulent rise to fame and it becomes ever more important for Lance to face the charges levelled against him, and defend them openly and honestly.

If he is innocent, that will come out in the course of this process, and he and Livestrong can use facts presented, and findings made, as definite proof of his innocence, rather than keeping on using bogus claims of never having failed a drug test (an outright lie, by the way, that he and his PR machine conveniently keep forgetting) and emotional terms like witch hunt, spite and the rest they continually roll out..

If he is guilty, he deserves every piece of misery that will be heaped upon him, both from a cycling world that has grown exponentlially through his successes, and the cancer community who have rewarded his inarguable contributions to their cause with blind faith.

Neither can afford for this to reach what I feel is the only logical conclusion, but that is a problem for the future...

So, because we respect his fight against cancer it's ok for him to lie and cheat. And make tons of cash for himself because of this lying and cheating?

Cycling will never clean up it's act if everything is ignored because it's in the past.

Well, currently we are scaring away millions of rands of sponsorship because of negative publicity. Yes, we do need to prosecute those who are guilty, but what worth does it have trying to prosecute a guy like Lance? Whose winnings date back 7 years+?

Edited by Jens The Terminator

.....If he is guilty, he deserves every piece of misery that will be heaped upon him, both from a cycling world that has grown exponentlially through his successes, and the cancer community who have rewarded his inarguable contributions to their cause with blind faith.

Neither can afford for this to reach what I feel is the only logical conclusion, but that is a problem for the future...

Surely by imposing these sanctions the repercussions of misery and humiliation brought upon him and millions of his followers will do more harm than good?

I think if you had a personal experience with cancer you would sway your opinion and truly appreciate what he has done. Or have you had such an ordeal?

Imo he should be nailed if he cheated. Fraud and corruption is not ok, even if many benefit from it. If you stand by that argument, the SA arms deal should also be left as it was long ago, its only money, nobody got hurt and many benefited?

How many other riders started doping to keep up? Some riders on the US Postal team may have been introduced to dope for the first time by the accused. How many careers were damaged because they got beaten by a better medical team, or refused dope and got dropprd from the bunch?

Well, it is innocent until proven guilty, is it not? So could we perhaps view things in that approach? IF he is found guilty, then we can continue with acting as if he is guilty, but for now we can't be certain about anything.

Some riders on the US Postal team may have been introduced to dope for the first time by the accused.

I would love to hear David George's thoughts...

I'll ask him and reply if he is open to share them.

I just mean I'd love to know why he didn't last at USPS, and why the next team, he's rested for too high a hematocrit.

Especially in the light of what is coming out now.

Edit: I wont hold my breath for an actual honest answer.

Edited by TNT1

Surely by imposing these sanctions the repercussions of misery and humiliation brought upon him and millions of his followers will do more harm than good? I think if you had a personal experience with cancer you would sway your opinion and truly appreciate what he has done. Or have you had such an ordeal?

I have, both my mother and my brother, within 18 months of each other just after the 99 Tour. And it burned my arse big time to have to supress my concerns around his doping while they were on their deathbeds, gaining some comfort from his first comeback. False hope is still hope, and it did make a difference to them I think. But that doesn't change my beleif that he has been dishonest, a cheat and a fraud and should be punished for those no matter how far back they date. That he has done some good should not change that, he can be allowed to focus on continuing to do good once he has served his time, but to continue living his lie in such an arrogant public manner galls me.