AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Guest Omega Man

So vertstar is the soft compound?

I'm taking a set of Muddy Mary's to that F place. 2.35 Vertsar Freeride compound. whatever that means. Super light. jees. must be 300g lighter than my Minions.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

then I'm definitely looking forward to seeing those magic marys!

they are fantastic! Quite a different personality to the Muddy Mary it replaces. Side knobs are quite a bit stiffer than the side knobs on the Muddy Ms. It requires (for my weight) slightly less pressure than the Muddy Ms for the grip to maximise. But that i believe is due to the super gravity carcass, which makes those side walls quite a bit stiffer than on the Muddy Ms. But my word the grip! Roots, rocks, off cambers especially: superbly controlled.

The Magic Mary is slightly less predictable in terms of transition from middle to side knobs, but just hold your nerve and it will hook up. I believe this additional 'driftyness' stems from the fact the Muddy Mary has a transition knob every 2nd row of middle knobs, whereas on the Magic Mary, its only every 4th row of center knobs.

http://img.bergleben.de/1374563154_60113b.jpg

Muddy Mary (left) and Magic Mary (right)

So with the Magic Mary, that side channel is much longer than on the Muddy Mary and thus the transition can feel abrupt and slip a bit if you don't lean the bike over hard. Anyone that loves high rollers will know this feeling.

Just as with the Muddy Mary, the Magic Mary has superb grip on hard pack, and loose over hard pack conditions. It's very surprising for a tyre with such tall knobs.

Mud clearance should be excellent on the Magic Mary, probably better than the Muddy Mary because Schwalbe has opened up the center channel: where's there was a two conjoined blocks on the Muddy M, the Magic Mary has two blocks with a space between them.

Earlier, I mentioned the side knobs are stiffer. This could be problematic in hardpack or loose over hardpack conditions if the transition to them is sudden. But Schwalbe has counteracted this by introducing the siping one sees on the crown of the side knobs. It make's the knobs slightly more forgiving and essentially extends the grip of the knobs without sacrificing the overall knob stiffness. Many complained about the lack of side knob stiffness of the Muddy Mary, saying it folded too easily. Problem solved.

Edited by Capricorn

So vertstar is the soft compound?

I'm taking a set of Muddy Mary's to that F place. 2.35 Vertsar Freeride compound. whatever that means. Super light. jees. must be 300g lighter than my Minions.

They are lighter because they are single ply, not full 2 ply like the DH version of the MM.

Edited by Capricorn

Guest Omega Man

They are lighter because they are single ply, not full 2 ply like the DH version of the MM.

Sweet.

Currently running my combo of

Geax Sturdy 2.25 Rear

And CST BFT 2.4 on the front.

Both generously sized and setup ghetto tubeless with no problem

• 2 months later...

as well... keen to team them with a Wolverine and see what happens.

I need some recommendations people. I foolishly got some verticals and f*ck me they are terrible. Really. Unless I want something that exfoliates my face as soon as I turn a corner.

Guest Omega Man

I heard great things about the Ibex

Can't tubeless them. Well the one I had you can't.

Can't tubeless them. Well the one I had you can't.

William and Co seem to manage

Guest Omega Man

William and Co seem to manage

Sweet. I'm not sure why the one I had wouldn't seat.

Guest Omega Man

Go ghetto....

I sold it to Karl. He's still got it on his Canyon. It's a slick now tho.

I had it done in a shop and I had a Mavic UST rim at the time so it had every chance at seating. Anyways. not a big deal.

Edited by Omega Man