AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Whatever you find up in JHB I can maybe help with getting them to Bloem next week. My brother is going down.

Where/who can I try in Jhb?

Thanks for the offer!!

El Capitan, I'll give him a call to thanks!

I have a 30/40km old WTB Bronson 2.3 going up for sale if anybody is keen. The Wolverine lasted 25km before a razor rock ate it! Thats why I want a proper sidewall, the rocks here are sharp..

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2.3" up front and a 2.2" Purgatory on the rear.

The Purgatory shows as a larger volume vs the DHR2 funny enough.

Might still try the 2.3" DHR2 on the rear with the 2.5" Minion DHF on the front now for winter.

http://www.downcycles.com/store/images/maxxis_minion_dhf2.jpg

Before you jump at a 2.5 dhf, have a good look at the high roller 2. I had a 2,35 high roller on the jekyll and that tyre was the business! I actually preferred it to my current 2.5 dhf on the spaz. That being said, the dhf and I are still getting to know each other.

Before you jump at a 2.5 dhf, have a good look at the high roller 2. I had a 2,35 high roller on the jekyll and that tyre was the business! I actually preferred it to my current 2.5 dhf on the spaz. That being said, the dhf and I are still getting to know each other.

I have run the 2.5" dhf before and was happy.....tyres could be lighter, but that is another story

I don't understand all Schwalbe's terminology... Which do I order then? Pacestar, trailstar, snakeskin, sg, varkvel... Who knows

I need a proper sidewall though thats the most important thing for the little trails we have here.. Plenty of rocks and hard pack surface.. And I do need to pedal a odd 40km to join the two single track spots we have here. So the 2.3 would be fine

:lol:

The Schwalbe terminology can be trickey here is how I understand... could be wrong... :P

Casing:

Performance line - only just usable for tubeless - not much protection at all

Evo - light and durable tubeless ready only casing.

Snake Skin -  is a casing reinforcement to help against sidewall cuts

Super Gravity -  is an even heavier duty casing for even bigger protection against rocks etc.

Compound:

Pace star - harder compound for use typically on the rear.

Trailstar - soft compound for use typically on the front or even rear

Vertstar - even softer for use on the front typically.

now you can have almost all the compounds on any of the casings... almost.. :P

Then there is the tread patterns - schwalbe decided to give em names...

Nobby Nic

Hans Dampf

Magic Mary

Muddy Mary

Dirty Dan

etc

etc

2c in die emmer... :)

I have run the 2.5" dhf before and was happy.....tyres could be lighter, but that is another story

What I was trying to say was, look at the high roller 2.

Lighter, rolls faster and when lent over it has just as much if not more grip than the DHF (my opinion).

Another tyre to look at is the Spaz Butcher, it is very light, rolls fast but has thin side walls. The tread pattern is similar to the DHF but less aggressive. When I had the Butcher on the front a few weeks ago not once did I think I could do with more grip nor did the tyre make me think about rolling resistance. Now with the DHF I find myself constantly thinking (on any terrain that isn't down) about rolling resistance and also looking for more grip.

I do feel that I might not be fair in comparing the two as I probably had the butcher inflated to the sweet spot where I have only had a few rides on the DHF and still trying to find the correct PSI.

I just looked at CRC, for the DHF tyre I can spend R2 more than the listed price (Shipping and VAT not included in the difference) and get it from my LBS .........

Which is your LBS?

:lol:

The Schwalbe terminology can be trickey here is how I understand... could be wrong... :P

Casing:

Performance line - only just usable for tubeless - not much protection at all. Not Tubeless Ready (TLR), no protection, no multi-compound. As vanilla a bicycle tyre as Schwalbe makes. Dirt cheap!

Evo - light and durable tubeless ready only casing. This is the basis construction for all schwalbe MTB tyres to which other enhancements such as snakeskin, compound, puncture protection etc are added.

Snake Skin -  is a casing reinforcement to help against sidewall cuts.

Super Gravity -  is an even heavier duty casing for even bigger protection against rocks etc. This is a propietary casing construction with 4-ply sidewalls like on a DH tyre, but a 2-ply topcap. This saves mass,makes the topcap more compliant so it better shapes itself to the ground and thus increases grip. In a typical DH tyre, the topcap can be 6-ply, which adds a lot of mass . The 4-ply sidewalls provide stiffer sidewall support, so you can run lower pressures without the sidewall buckling under hard cornering for instance. This is also the only Schwalbe MTB tyre with snakeskin in the whole carcass, not just the sidewalls as with the rest of the schwalbe tyres sporting the snakeskin branding.

Compound:

Pace star - harder compound for use typically on the rear.

Trailstar - soft compound for use typically on the front or even rear

Vertstar - even softer for use on the front typically.

The compounds dont determine which wheel it should be used on. It's a swing from harder compounder (pacestar) for faster rolling/lower grip to slower rolling/higher grip (vertstar). It also is worth mentioning, harder compound = lower wear rates, and higher wear rates for the softer, grippier compounds.

now you can have almost all the compounds on any of the casings... almost.. :P

Then there is the tread patterns - schwalbe decided to give em names...

Nobby Nic - has become a general purpose tyre. I personally think it's a better hans dampf. does not come in Super Gravity. Intended uses inc enduro, aggressive riders, XC

Hans Dampf - general purpose tread design. i dont like it. Comes in all flava of compound and carcass construction. Intended uses inc DH, enduro, aggressive riders

Magic Mary - general use tyre. Ridiculously grippy, but rolls surprisingly well. Comes in all flava of compound and carcass construction. Intended uses inc DH, enduro, aggressive riders

Muddy Mary - discontinued general use tyre. predecessor to the Magic Mary. Fantastic tyre as well, but the magic is marginally better.

Dirty Dan - Mud tyre. Comes in all flava of compound and carcass construction.

2c in die emmer... :)

Edited by Capricorn

Haha, I was waiting for Mr Capricorn to chime in with some ludicrously detailed Schwalbe info :lol:

All correct of course!

I partly disagree as far as the HD goes, my opinion generated over the last year or so is that the HD is actually a pretty damn good tyre, it's just very pressure sensitive so needs exact setup.

Edited by Martin Hattingh

Haha, I was waiting for Mr Capricorn to chime in with some ludicrously detailed Schwalbe info :lol:

All correct of course!

I partly disagree as far as the HD goes, my opinion generated over the last year or so is that the HD is actually a pretty damn good tyre, it's just very pressure sensitive so needs exact setup.

u bliksem! :P

but i can back up nofearnofun's recommendation wrt the Maxxis HR II: minus the sidewall slop, its a really good tyre. EXO sidewalls are tough enough against getting slashed by rocks, but it doesn't offer the same support as Supergravity carcasses, rolls very well, grip is excellent.  But that story about schwalbe tyres losing knobs in a hurry is not exclusive to schwalbe: the top and side knobs of the Maxxterra 3C HRII started ripping very badly. That's not to say its a bad tyre: it's just the price to pay if you want alot of grip and ride hard.

Edited by Capricorn

I've been really impressed with my exo 2.5 DHF, my next front tyre if I'm lucky will be a DHF II or HR II.

Currently running a HR 2.35 supertacky out back. Feels good and stable on everything. But maybe a bit sluggish, so next for the back I would like to try an ardent or ardent II if they make those. Maybe by then aggressive 26er tyres will be available again in SA[emoji4]

Edited by TAAHIRWP

Thanks for all the input!!

I see Easybike has a sale on all their 26" tyres so think I'm going to order rather. Sooooo.... Options,

Front: Schwalbe HD 2.35 pacestar or trailstar SS

Front: Schwalbe NN 2.25 pacestar SS

Front: Conti Mountain King 2 2.4 protection

Rear: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 pacestar SS

Rear: Conti Xking 2.4 protection

What would be best considering I'm in the Freestate, hard pack and rocky trails. Appreciate the feedback on my lack of deciding on this..

What I was trying to say was, look at the high roller 2.

Lighter, rolls faster and when lent over it has just as much if not more grip than the DHF (my opinion).

Another tyre to look at is the Spaz Butcher, it is very light, rolls fast but has thin side walls. The tread pattern is similar to the DHF but less aggressive. When I had the Butcher on the front a few weeks ago not once did I think I could do with more grip nor did the tyre make me think about rolling resistance. Now with the DHF I find myself constantly thinking (on any terrain that isn't down) about rolling resistance and also looking for more grip.

I do feel that I might not be fair in comparing the two as I probably had the butcher inflated to the sweet spot where I have only had a few rides on the DHF and still trying to find the correct PSI.

Run it low, very low. I have the 3c compound DHF and I've done many hours on all kinds of terrain and I have no complaints. As for weight, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger imo.

Thanks for all the input!!

I see Easybike has a sale on all their 26" tyres so think I'm going to order rather. Sooooo.... Options,

Front: Schwalbe HD 2.35 pacestar or trailstar SS

Front: Schwalbe NN 2.25 pacestar SS

Front: Conti Mountain King 2 2.4 protection

Rear: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 pacestar SS

Rear: Conti Xking 2.4 protection

What would be best considering I'm in the Freestate, hard pack and rocky trails. Appreciate the feedback on my lack of deciding on this..

Ya nee....

I wouldn't put a pacestar near the front of my bike... I tried a 26 X2.35 pacestar HD on the front once upon a time. Yes I tried different tyre pressures... It was terrible. Enjoyed it as a rear tyre though.

Run it low, very low. I have the 3c compound DHF and I've done many hours on all kinds of terrain and I have no complaints. As for weight, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger imo.

I had mine at 2 bar a few weeks ago and burped it from 2 bar to flat in one shot which ended in a spectacular scorpion whip at the feet of a not too bad looking timing chick.

About an hour later I burped it again on jeep track...

I have the maxxpro tubeless ready dhf with exo protection running tubeless on a rim with a 29mm inner width....

Before i put the dhf on i ran a spaz butcher control (thin ass side walls) at 1.7 bar and it was sweet!

I'm not too fussed about the bikes weight, I have allot more weigh to lose than my bike does...