AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Currently running Onza ibex on the rear and Schwalbe HD up front. I feel like rolling resistance isn't the greatest still some life left but looking to purchase my next set for when needed. Any suggestions? 

Oh and they need to be 26"...

Magic Mary 2.35 Trailstar. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If be careful, Iast time I tried riding a tyre past reasonable grip limits I came pip when the tire totally lost it unexpectedly at speed in a corner, after that experience I'll never run pap tyres(well not even vaguely hard or pushed anywhere near the limits), not worth the medical bills. Worn tyres are only good for straight lines.

Also true - I wouldn't do it with most other tyres, but the DHR was almost too grippy when new - now its a bit more fun and still grippy enough in the corners. I am talking rear tyre by the way - front is a totally different ball game.

Magic Mary 2.35 Trailstar. 

Thanks!

Think i'll go for the Magic Mary TrailStar up front and the Nobby Nic Pacestar for the rear!

You guys need to bring in a few more AM Maxxis treads in 26" please. At the moment your local dealers are losing out to overseas mail order shops which still carry a far bigger range. 

Sorry I didn't pick up on this reply earlier... 26" is a tough one, so we're currently bringing in Minion DHF in 2.5" for the diehard DH guys as well as the Ardent 2.4" for the trail guys. I've had a few people asking for something in-between those two, and will certainly look at it on our next order. The biggest challenge here is not MOQ (though that obviously is something to consider) but actually lead-time (probably 120 days from order to in-store availability) as well as getting the word out. Unfortunately, retailers, like all of us, stick with what the know, so for the most part its up to the consumer to do the digging and work WITH their local bike store (who they have a relationship with) to ensure that they are getting the product they want / need, or at least feeding it back up the chain ;)

Sorry I didn't pick up on this reply earlier... 26" is a tough one, so we're currently bringing in Minion DHF in 2.5" for the diehard DH guys as well as the Ardent 2.4" for the trail guys. I've had a few people asking for something in-between those two, and will certainly look at it on our next order. The biggest challenge here is not MOQ (though that obviously is something to consider) but actually lead-time (probably 120 days from order to in-store availability) as well as getting the word out. Unfortunately, retailers, like all of us, stick with what the know, so for the most part its up to the consumer to do the digging and work WITH their local bike store (who they have a relationship with) to ensure that they are getting the product they want / need, or at least feeding it back up the chain ;)

might I suggest you "force", through loan or demo tyres, your retailers to try out the whole range of tyre's on their personal bikes, so that they have a better holistic experience of the Maxxiss tyre range.

personally loved the Minion DHF (Thanks Cap) and the DHR's (Thanks to Devon ex Action Cycles) that I used on the front of my 26'ers...... will be giving one of the above a spin again on the front of my 650b once the HD gives in.....slapped a ardent on the back now for summer and find it a decent enough tyre out for summer, a decent balance of grip vs rolling speed.

I guess 26" trail bikes are in short supply so the demand is low - enduro only started taking off in SA once the manufacturers had already decided to ditch 26. its a different story overseas where there were far more trail/enduro bikes around while 26 was still king. The interesting thing is that Maxxis happily churn out some of their newer tyres in 26" still.

I would like to see Minion SS and High Roller/ DHF/DHR more freely available.

I just bought a Purgatory control to use on the front of my Epic. Just woke up one day and cared more about my teeth than having a faster tyre.  Also looks like it won't clog up easily with a bit of mud.

What you guys think of the WTB Trailboss TCS high grip?

Dunno. Haven't seen much. If it's the TCS tough casing then it's the good one. Most feedback I've seen is on the Vigilante

Fitted another pair of Ground Control 2.3's, the new ones with the dual compound rubber. Grip is bloody amazing! Definitely an improvement over the old design. Ran the last pair for well over 2 years and they held up incredibly well. Such great value too.

Great to hear getting the 2.35 super gravity casing  :thumbup:

See my review back a page on this thread. It is great but the Snake casing is too weak for my kind of riding out back. I destroyed a nearly new tyre. I am also going to try a SG casing next.