Best bike for your price range?

TwiggzSA

Come on guys, 15 posts down and no recommendations yet. Let me start the debate which is very likely to ensue.

R12 500 - R15 000:

Titan 29R Pro, Full XT Groupset, Rockshox Reba fork. R14 400.

Momsen AL529: R13 995

Edited by TwiggzSA

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R11 799.

Axis A10 29er

Tread magazine page 48 (May/june 2012)

This bike finished the epic - nuff said?

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be better to educate people on what to look for and what the differences in component models mean, as opposed to recommending a complete bike?

This'll not only help guys bying new bikes, but will also assist the secondhand buyer.

It's also in a sense more quantifiable than discussing the best bike, since picking a best bike is, as mentioned, very subjective while discussing the physical differences between Acera and XT, or hydraulic vs V-brakes isn't.

Just my 2c.

ok, here's my constructive comment.

R25 000 - R29 999 AM (All Mountain) Bike (yes, gotta add discipline options for the newbies... before this thread gets overun with darn 29ers and weight weenine bikes. Haven't we got enough "which 29er is best?" threads already? :P :lol: )

Commencal Meta AM 3 - R26 500ish (www.buycycle.co.za)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/66776.jpg

Specs

• Frame: META V2 - 150mm
  • Shock: Fox Float RL
  • Fork: Fox 32 Float RL 150mm 15QR
  • Headset: Integrated w/sealed bearings
  • Stem: Commencal VIP OS
  • Bar: Commencal VIP 1.5” OS 740mm
  • Grips: Commencal Lock-On
  • Brakes: Formula RX internal 180/180
  • Shifters: New Sram trigger X5 2x10
  • Front Mech: New Sram X7 direct mount 2x10
  • Rear Mech: New Sram X7 10 speed
  • Bottom Bracket: included w/crankset
  • Cranks: New SRAM S1000 Press-fit 39/26
  • Chain: Sram PC1030 10 speed
  • Cassette: Sram PG-1030 11-36
  • Rims: Mavic XM119
  • Hubs: COMMENCAL disc 15QR Front, 142x12mm Rear
  • Spokes: Stainless black 64p 3x lacing
  • Tires: Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 rear, Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 front
  • Seatpost: Commencal VIP 31.6mm
  • Saddle: New COMMENCAL Race
  • Sizes: Small, Medium, Large, XLarge
  • Color: Cyan Blue

In my opinion this is one of the best value for money, off the shelf, AM rigs. Yes, if other equivalents are on a special then they may be a better buy. But standard... this is a pretty good deal

Edited by patches

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be better to educate people on what to look for and what the differences in component models mean, as opposed to recommending a complete bike?

This'll not only help guys bying new bikes, but will also assist the secondhand buyer.

It's also in a sense more quantifiable than discussing the best bike, since picking a best bike is, as mentioned, very subjective while discussing the physical differences between Acera and XT, or hydraulic vs V-brakes isn't.

Just my 2c.

Full agree. I was trying to do this in a newbie thread the other day. All the "pros" were coming in stating that she should look at getting the best bike she can afford, with many suggesting a price range far in excess of what she had stated as her budget, but very few were bothering to tell her what to look out for. Best bike is far too subjective and does little to educate the newbie. Once you know what to look out for, and the hierarchy of components, it is actually rather easy to differentiate between bikes on a basic level. When you then see two similarly priced bikes but with slightly different components you are able to make a call on which should be better.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Most newbies are unlikely to spend more than R10k on a bike when starting out in the world of cycling, so going much above your R12.5k is a waste of time. Whilst the newbie has the notion of getting into cycling, they will also have in the back of their mind, what if I don't like it, do I want to spend all that money and then have to try and sell the bike, how would I resell the bike?

So if this thread is info for newbies, then would be better to focus on the lower end price range.

R11 799.

Axis A10 29er

Tread magazine page 48 (May/june 2012)

This bike finished the epic - nuff said?

WOW this bike has incredible specs for the price!

I think it would be easier to find the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything than to compile such a list.

I watched an hour and a half debate yesterday between some of the worlds greatest minds on "does the universe have a purpose".... No, really!

Mind blowing stuff.

You have too many price categories in my opinion.

I agree

Should be

< R 5,000

R 5,000 to R 12,000

R 12,000 to R 20,000

R 20,000 to R 35,000

> R 35,000

I work with a lady that has broken 4 chainstays on one of these.

That is pretty scary... 4 chainstays!

That is pretty scary... 4 chainstays!

Yup, each time replaced free and with a smile, so the service is good, but eish 4 breaks is not good.