Introducing PowerCal a new kind of Power Meter

Hi

Any response to any of my questions. I will take your continued silence as either one of two:

1. Don't know and therefore you may be right and product is less accurate than HR training products.

2. Avoiding answering your questions because you are right and this product is less accurate than HR training products.

3. The funds made by Power Balance Bracelets were used to develop this product.

i am not answering your questions because on the "tone" in which it was asked, we find it rather rude.

plus the you tube video by Dr Allen Lim explaining why PowerCal is ideal should answer more info.

sorry we cant answer your questions.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Collected my Powercal late yesterday afternoon. Link / paired it with my Garmin 800 last night - was a piece of cake. Will ride this afternoon with Powertap or Tacx trainer (wheather) and compare. Will let you know

Edited by Broker

MINE WAS DELIVERED THIS MORNING!! i paid wednesday arvie.. wow! paired it to the 310XT will test tomorrow

Guys look forward to your feedback. Need to know if I should be among the second wave of early adopters or not.

"the Break", I'd suggest this product is not for you.

Guys look forward to your feedback. Need to know if I should be among the second wave of early adopters or not.

"the Break", I'd suggest this product is not for you.

Probably not because I use a Powertap and the theory behind it is solid.

Here is the file from this mornings ride, it was a pretty easy going ride, but with around 700m of climbing it should have had a higher TSS.

I should explain that I have a really low HR. It rests at 29-32bpm and maxes out at 172 so I am not the "typical" subject this HR strap is for.

I often found it recording zeros or very low values compared to what i know I'd be putting out at that RPE.

I will do a side by side comparison tomorrow hopefully and track the variation in my riding. I did not have a cadence sensor on and it still knew pretty well when i was freewheeling. and it reacted faster than i thought it would, compared to a HR reaction in a given effort.

For me it reads very low, Im guessing because of my HR which is why I wanted to be able to calibrate it. I think at a constantly harder effort like a mtb ride or race or tt it would be closer.

My TSS in this ride was recorded at 58.5 where it should have been about 100-120 points more.that's quite a big difference.100% or so.

I'll track a simultneous ride with my quarq and see. I forgot I have an ant+ dongle for my Iphone and wahoo fitness app, so i'll use that.

post-3341-0-31933600-1344065392.jpg

Edited by Zilla

took part in a MTB 50km race this weekend.

readings as follows:

PowerTap:

ave Power 223w

NP 252w

174bpm

1842kJ

PowerCal

ave Power 255w

NP 260w

174bpm

2102kJ

HR was alightly higher as i am stick at the moment this may have caused the PC's readings to be higher that PT and also race nerves.

something to be expected is the small gap between ave power and NP on the PowerCal, this is beasue the PC is a Power calculator off HR and HR is not as erratice as Power meaning there will not be allot of zero's using the PowerCal.

at the end of the day the PT gave me 150.6 TSS @ 0.813 IF

the PowerCal 159.7 TSS @ 0.839

pretty good for something that only costs R1095!!!!!

I should get my PowerCal by Wednesday and the reason why I bought one was because I would like to get some sort of stress scores when I use my MTB. I have a road PowerTap and most of my training is done on my road bike. I opted for a road PT because of the price and also because I can do more controled power training on the road and on my indoor trainer.

I think the PowerCal will be great for MTBiking (off road) because of the very stochastic nature of mountain biking.

What I remain curious about is whether the FTP that is entered into the head unit affects the PowerCal's output. If I changed my FTP in my Garmin head unit to 500W (no where near my actual FTP) then will it influence the reading produced by the PowerCal. Apparently it should not affect the reading but I still cannot see how it is possible to calculate power based on HR alone :-D

been using mine for a week or so ... have nothing to compare it against but am starting to build up some stats. That was all I wanted it for and seems to do the job.

been using mine for a week or so ... have nothing to compare it against but am starting to build up some stats. That was all I wanted it for and seems to do the job.

great to hear.

so our next order of PowerCal's have arrived, give us a call (011-023-2777) or drop us an e mail info(at)bicyclepower.co.za if you would like to order!!!

Tried mine out over the weekend and I can say I'm very happy! I'm still recovering after a bit of an illness and don't know how that may have influenced this weekend's values - but hey, at least I'm starting to see values.

What I can see from my non-expert point of view. It does not slavishly follow HR trends. So there is some other mojo in there and it's not "purely HR based". Unlike was reported on one site I saw, mine does zero out whilst coasting. Not sure how immediate - I was on the mtb, with no cadence sensor to evaluate afterward.

One thing I want to ask - I have my 705 set to smart recording and have read that per second recording is advised for PowerTaps themselves. Is this the case here as well? (I simply turned off per second to decrease upload size of files.)

So, there may be some inaccuracy if you compare it to PT, but I don't have a PT to compare it to. Which makes me pretty much the customer this was made for. I now have power values to look at - and already saw some interesting things - and use as guidance. As long as the magic inside remains the same, at least I know when I am evaluating myself against myself, I have a constant reference point - which I did not have before.

Very interested to see what pops out once I get my lazy butt on a road bike for a change, where the riding will be vastly different.