Introducing PowerCal a new kind of Power Meter

I don’t know of this software, i assume you can only get this "power" reading once you download your HR file into this software???

If this is the case the PowerCal provides an instant real time power output so they not quiet in the same league

correct - it is a post ride analysis.

However, except for "current power output", the rest of the power calculations are all post ride anyways, so theres really not much diff?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess the measurement and recording of this info is one thing and now taken care of ....... what to do with it takes somewhat more knowledge?

Reading on the 'net but damn so much to digest .....

correct - it is a post ride analysis.

However, except for "current power output", the rest of the power calculations are all post ride anyways, so theres really not much diff?

No totally different, while you are riding you would like to view ave powers TSS IF etc etc if you can only view this post ride are you really training with power and optimising training??

i.e. if you need to ride 100TSS points how will you know where you are if you are unable to view this while out on the bike, this is where the value of the PowerCal comes in, it provides an instant passing strategy just as a Power Meter would.

So I guess the measurement and recording of this info is one thing and now taken care of ....... what to do with it takes somewhat more knowledge?

Reading on the 'net but damn so much to digest .....

yip this is correct, i am planning to be able to put something up on our web page soon that will help take the important info and put it into 1 document easy to read and understand however we just need to find the time to do this.......

yip this is correct, i am planning to be able to put something up on our web page soon that will help take the important info and put it into 1 document easy to read and understand however we just need to find the time to do this.......

Now that would be very useful for us 'new' entrants to the world of power! No pressure but will be keeping an eye out for it ;)

i think our CycleOps Joule 1.0 is the cheapest ANT+ Power Compatible computer on the market, R1645.00 for the computer excl HR then R1495.00 for the PowerCal incl speed (you will need a speed sensor as the Joule 1.0 is not GPS)

so a total of R3 140.00

this will then give you eveything you need, software would be the Power Agent software that comes free with all CycleOps computers as well as a download cable.

it will provide you metricas such as TSS, IF, NP and plenty more that will help you understand the full benifits of Power.

I will only require a device to enable the Power cal to work / communicate, so I will not require a speed sensor, I already have speed, cadence, and GPS through my polar, so what cost would I be in for in that case?

Edited by cadenceblur

Okay, to enable this, I will have to wear two HR straps, I assume there won't be any interference issues?

Please advise.

Why would you want to wear 2 HR straps ?

This PowerCal gives a HR & Power reading.

The ANT+ computer will pick up 2 different pieces of information.

So you only need to wear the PowerCal strap unless you still want info for your Polar software.

Yes.I would definitely prefer to still have the info available via Polar.

Then you'd have to wear 2 x HR and ride with 2 x computers.

Doubt there would be any interference.

Okay, to enable this, I will have to wear two HR straps, I assume there won't be any interference issues?

Please advise.

no there should not be any interference between the Polar and the CycleOps HR straps as Polar use their own signal and not ANT+ even if it was ANT+ each HR strap has a specific code and once paired with the selected computer they should not interfere.

i spoke to Polar, power files are not compatible with Polar software.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Any word on this as yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Any word on this as yet?

USING THE CYCLEOPS POWERCAL FOR A TSS BASED TRAINING PROGRAMME

CycleOps’ new PowerCal is an intelligent heart rate sensor that calculates power based on the response of heart rate to effort during cycling. This relationship has been extensively studied and validated by CycleOps in conjunction with the University of Colorado in the US.

PowerCal is a low-cost option for athletes entering the world of power-based training, but not quite ready to invest in a fully-fledged power meter. It is simple to set up and use and comes with a pre-loaded power algorithm derived from thousands of data files collected during the team’s research. The algorithm is robust enough for the device to be used with confidence without individual calibration. But since nobody exactly matches ‘Mr or Ms Average’, the indicated power and other metrics such as Intensity Factor (IF), Training Stress Score (TSS) and energy expenditure may vary between individuals and may also differ from the absolute measurement of these metrics on a true power meter like CycleOps’ Power Tap. For this reason PowerCal should not be used to compare the metrics between individuals since the tool is intended to be inwardly focused and to present data that allows you to compare you with you as you progress along your training programme – similar to a HR monitor, but more comprehensive and power-focussed !

PowerCal is tailor made for all those athletes who are discovering the huge advantages of TSS based training, because it is possible to benchmark the TSS calculation to ensure that the TSS readings are both consistent and pretty accurate as you get fitter. This derives from the definition of TSS itself, being that one hour of maximal effort will always score 100 TSS points ! Remember that by definition TSS allows a level playing field from athlete to athlete – so Bradley Wiggins at 100 % effort will score the same TSS as anybody else. Of course he’ll be able to go a bit further and a bit faster (because he can sustain a higher power output for longer), but the TSS score will be the same.

Using this feature of TSS allows us to regularly benchmark PowerCal by manually adjusting the FTP value entered into your CycleOps Joule head-unit (if using one) or the Power Agent software. This will automatically adjust the TSS calculation.

On a regular maximum effort test protocol the procedure is simple !

1. Find a 20 min hill or indoor trainer that will allow you to work for 20 minutes at maximum effort.

2. Warm up thoroughly.

3. Begin a new ‘activity’ in PowerCal to commence your 20 minute max effort (or start an interval).

4. After the effort download the activity/interval data into Power Agent and open the activity.

5. Select the ‘Summary’ tab and thereafter the ‘Work’ tab.

6. In the ‘FTP’ field manually adjust the FTP value until the TSS calculates as 35.

7. Why 35 ? 35X3=105 per hour - 95 % of this is 100, which is the standard ‘rule of thumb’ for calculating FTP from a 20 minute test.

8. The FTP value so determined, even though it may not be an ‘absolute’ figure as measured on an ergometer, will allow PowerCal to generate consistent TSS and IF calculations based on your state of fitness at the time – much better than an arbitrarily entered value based on previous measurements or assumptions. If using PowerCal, use only this FTP value and don’t worry about comparisions – after all the device is intended for you versus you, not anybody else !

9. Remember that as you get fitter your FTP should increase. If you don’t adjust for this your TSS readings will be too high, lulling you into a false sense of security ! For this reason do regular (say every 4 weeks) protocol tests as above and to adjust your PowerCal FTP to benchmark the TSS calculation to your current fitness level.

10. For those not yet familiar with the TSS regime, here are some typical TSS benchmarks:

· 1 hour maximal effort : 100

· 94.7 Cycle Challenge at racing pace: 200-230

· Typical ABSA Cape Epic stage: 350-400

· 24 hour MTB race: 1000

· Max weekly training target - Elite cyclist : 1 500

· Typical ‘weekend warrior’ training week in season: 500

11. For further reading of TSS check out Hunter Allan and Dr Andrew Coggan’s pioneering work on this unique concept.

Any other user experinces

have been using for three weeks now - I don't have a power meter, so I guess this device is for people like me, definitely gives your training another dimension.

Yeah, same boat here, still gathering data and analysing and seeing what gives. But it does give you a whole new way of analysing rides and history (which of course I have only now started building up) and you have access to funky things like training loads, etc. So as I said earlier, even if it is a bit off in comparison to pure solutions such as PT, at least there is something and it is consistent for me.

For the moment still riding on HR values more than power to pace myself. I very often glance at the power nowadays just to see how it corresponds and is slowly building up references and confidence. But suspect it may swing the other way once I get onto the road bike and the power delivery should be more predicatable/stable. (And in this lies a second advantage for me - I just have a HR belt to strap on and have power reading on both road and mtb.)