Carrying tools etc?

Clinton1

I haven't seen it done myself or tried it for that matter, but apparently if you run out of tubes and patches and anything else you need to fix a puncture, you can split the tube where the puncture is, tie the two ends back together and refit the tube over the rim. It will be hard to fit as it is now shorter but it will hold air and probably get you home (With a bit of a flat spot, but it beats walking!)

Or stuff your tyre full of grass - African Perma Tube :)

It will get you home

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you might have hit the nail here. Too many on here watch the TdF and Burry and wanna be like them but are far from it! :D

Of course I amseen as the arrogant/stubborn/argumentative one because I do not buy into this "I must own the best and then people will think I am the best" mentality.

Thank goodness for that as from your inane posts/questions/opinions it appears that you clearly can't afford the best at normal retail price.

This must be the longest thread eva ha ha.

Yeah hat was funny the brother in law racing snake shot off with 10 bottles no bombs or tubes in his back pocket and the first corner lost his bottles. They ended up one side of the track him the other side sonhe had to wait for the whole field to pass to collect his bottles. Told him i would beat him up the first hill no sweat.

Don't get started on how to carry tubes without them rubbing holes. Some interesting methods. We could have ended up with baby powdered smellin tubes in sweaty condoms :-)

Some reckon I don't read what is being suggested. How wrong they are. I've just been doing extensive research on Camelbaks (yip, work is suffering) and besides the vast choices I am regularly greeted with people asking about heat and sweat. The answer usually comes back that it is not too bad which immediately makes me think it MUST be worse than no camelbak. This is what worries me. Getting hot when I ride is one of the things that ruins my enjoyment the most. It was for this reason that I got a new helmet recently.

If I do get a Camelbak I just ensure it is of great use to me so I was looking at the Octane XTC which is great for trail running too. Problem is I now can't find out if it'll fit all I need to fit (especially the spare tube)

If you worry about heat/sweat on your back the XCT pack is the worst in that regard - it covers a big area on your back, go minimalistic for the camelbak and put some stuff in, strap stuff to your bike that you need in emergencies, and carry stuff in your shirt pocket that you need quick access to. This way you don`t need a handbag on your bike, strapping stuff to the bike is very cool and racesnake like, waterbottles is very uncool on a mtb cause its roadie like.

Thank goodness for that as from your inane posts/questions/opinions it appears that you clearly can't afford the best at normal retail price.

Ooh, getting personal now are we? I do find it rather immature but I can play that game well too if that's the path you wish to take.

If you worry about heat/sweat on your back the XCT pack is the worst in that regard - it covers a big area on your back, go minimalistic for the camelbak and put some stuff in, strap stuff to your bike that you need in emergencies, and carry stuff in your shirt pocket that you need quick access to.

I'm not sure you guys are referring to the same camelbak. The one I am referring to seems to have a rather small "footprint" from what I can see. Unless you are referring to the bottom straps which would be crucial if I wanted to use if for running too.

http://www.campist.com/archives/camelbak-octane-xct-backpack-2010.jpg

This way you don`t need a handbag on your bike, strapping stuff to the bike is very cool and racesnake like, waterbottles is very uncool on a mtb cause its roadie like.

This still makes me laugh. Is it really that important to "look cool"? Surely functionality should be the main criteria not coolness.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Ooh, getting personal now are we? I do find it rather immature but I can play that game well too if that's the path you wish to take.

Whatever you do, don't hold back.

My hydropack and bladder cost R300. My saddlebag cost R150. I always take both, tools in the saddle thing and phone and car keys in the zipper. I prefer the hydropack cause the nozzle stays cleaner than that of a bottle. I sweat a lot but I never feel hot or sweat runing down from my back infact I hardly ever feel it on my back.

*by it I mean the hydropack on my back.

Edited by Pieter1

Whatever you do, don't hold back.

You keen for me to get a little suspension like others on here seem good at doing?

My hydropack and bladder cost R300. My saddlebag cost R150. I always take both, tools in the saddle thing and phone and car keys in the zipper. I prefer the hydropack cause the nozzle stays cleaner than that of a bottle. I sweat a lot but I never feel hot or sweat runing down from my back infact I hardly ever feel it on my back.

Where did you get the hydropack from and do you reckon they are as good as camelbaks? I have read elsewhere of people getting other hydration packs but using the camebak bladder but financial this makes little sense.

You keen for me to get a little suspension like others on here seem good at doing?

Come on man, as I said, don't hold back.

Where did you get the hydropack from and do you reckon they are as good as camelbaks? I have read elsewhere of people getting other hydration packs but using the camebak bladder but financial this makes little sense.

I got it from ventures for africa, a shop in cresta jhb. I bought the backpack thing for R150 I think its a carrymore, the bladder also cost R150 not sure of the brand tho. The material is not s thick as that of the camelbak backpack but it's held up for more than a year. Its pouch can take two tubes and the phone and the car keys.

I'm not sure you guys are referring to the same camelbak. The one I am referring to seems to have a rather small "footprint" from what I can see.

This still makes me laugh. Is it really that important to "look cool"? Surely functionality should be the main criteria not coolness.

Yep thats the XCT which is like a normal pack with added huge side pockets increasing the surface area. As for being cool, its the next best thing if not winning.

Edited by Berg Bok

Come on man, as I said, don't hold back.

Ha ha, my modus operandi is very unlikely to ever be similar to yours.... I keep all my discussions public and have no desire to subtly threaten people when they do not agree with my opinion...

Pity you chaps are more interested in expending energy on petty squabbles than sharing useful information. All good though.

Or stuff your tyre full of grass - African Perma Tube :)

It will get you home

I tried that once but damn you gotta put a lot of grass in for it to be ridable ..... and it 'compresses' pretty quick ....

For races I use one bottle cytopower and one Epic turbo and I use my camelbak for water. The tubes,tools, levers and gels and food all go into my backpockets. I come from a warm climate yet on 3h rides I cannot use just 2 bottles. Do you guys with only 2 bottles stop for water or do you just don't drink that much?