Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

Their saving grace? It can now be taken off and used as a self defence item

Seriously though. I hope their new direction (in this and pedals) ends up in goods that you can actually use for more than a day. 

I like the look of their new products, and I hope that they can prove to be reliable and good quality. I have a set of 50/50 pedals and replaced them with FUNN's just because the CB pedals suck in grip terms, their reliability and build quality is quite good.

At least the dropper can double as a baton, like you said, and the pedals as ninja stars.

:lol:  

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are there so few droppers with setback? Was planning to get the new Giant one till I noticed 0 setback. Tall people problems :(.

The 2016 model? I thought all the Giants had offset, I'm planning on getting one.

I'm glad you like the dropper man. I've been meaning to give some feedback on mine since I'm also using the Tmars for a while now. But the 115mm version. I really love that thing. Its not like I never had a dropper before either. Had the giant dropper previously and I would recommend the mechanical route to anyone.

Have you got used to needing to weight the post to unlatch it and allow it to rise?

They also look a little bit clunky, there is a model with an updated cable exit though, I've been eyeing them out. Please let us know what you think about the build, pros/cons etc.

The 2016 model? I thought all the Giants had offset, I'm planning on getting one.

Yip. 2 bolt design (awesome), 0 offset (not so awesome).

I'm running an XL frame with a 25mm offset post and I have about 5mm to go before I hit the max mark on my saddle rails. Ergo, I need a dropper with offset, which sadly the 2016 Giant is not.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/2016-Giant-contact-sl-switch-dropper-post-0mm-longer-drop01.jpg

Have you got used to needing to weight the post to unlatch it and allow it to rise?

They also look a little bit clunky, there is a model with an updated cable exit though, I've been eyeing them out. Please let us know what you think about the build, pros/cons etc.

I have got used to it, if I can answer for skollie. One thing I needed was the service kit, there are some plastic parts inside that need replacing every six months or so. I bought four off eBay from someone in Israel to service it when it starts getting a bit loose. But for under R800 there really isn't a downside.

Also when I emailed the factory in Taiwan, one of their reps eventually did reply and offer to help me with replacement parts for the seat post.

The Tmars mechanical dropper. 110mm travel.

I’m going to try and be objective. Which is hard considering how well it has worked for me. It may not be the same for you and your bike but on my small framed Commencal Meta. The experience has been quite exceptional.

http://i.imgur.com/rE6RZBE.jpg

I’ve also only been using it for a couple weeks so I cannot comment on any issues regarding its maintenance. So far its functionality has been pretty much flawless. It does what it is meant to do without a hiccup every single time.

http://i.imgur.com/J16HPBl.jpg

On with it then.

Let’s get the obvious out the way. The reason why half of us won’t even consider it. That god awful black protective rubber boot sticking out like a woman’s moustache. It’s an insult to any flashy contemporary trail bike. She could have legs for days but let’s face it. It’s the deal breaker. Whether we want to admit it or not. Some of us would happily fork out triple the price on the obvious alternatives because we want something pretty. There’s nothing wrong with that. If you admit it. Hell I would if I had money to burn. But you have to be honest with yourself here. Because if you tell yourself (and others) that you paid that much more purely for its functionality. Then you have some explaining to do. I’m not just being deliberately argumentative either. Let’s be fair. If I had to pay double the price because 125/150mm travel would work better for me and my bike then sure. It’s worth paying for. But if 100mm is enough travel for you. Well, then the only question you need to ask is. How much do I hate that rubber boot? and more importantly: How much am I willing to spend to make it go away?

I noticed that in Nick’s review of the Forca dropper some time back, he removed the boot for the review pics. It better displayed the dropper’s unique functionality. You’ll notice in the pics he posted that there are holes in the droppers stanchion. These 3 holes are where the dropper clicks into place in each of the 3 respective height positions it’s limited to. It’s clear then why the boot is there at all. Keep water and muck out. While I’ve heard it’s the easiest thing to service and maintain. Once you take the boot off you run the risk of contaminating the dropper’s internals and quite possibly compromising its functionality. Especially if you riding in wet and muddy conditions.

So the boots ugly. I’ll admit that I had my reservations at first. But don’t let its appearance discourage you in terms of its ability to do what a dropper needs to. IT WORKS. It works pretty damn well actually and it’s as competent a piece of equipment as it needs to be for its intended purpose.

Its cable actuated like many other droppers out there but that’s where the similarity stops. It’s mechanical internals incorporate the use of a spring to control its height and desired position. This means that it needs to click into place to ensure that the spring doesn’t act like an ejector seat. It also means that the dropper lacks unlimited height positioning. Unlike the rest of its hydraulic brethren. It is limited to 3 positions only. Fully extended, halfway down and slammed. Despite having unlimited positioning on my previous dropper (Giant). I can honestly say that it’s not something I miss now. I really don’t need it. In fact I actually prefer it this way. There’s something reassuring about the way it clicks into place. You just know for sure. It’s extended now. It’s halfway. It’s slammed. Awesome.

Previously if I wanted my dropper a certain height. Particularly somewhere in the middle. It was a bit of a guessing game. A few pedal strokes later I would change my mind and raise or lower it slightly again. Which when I think about it, was only really a nuisance because I didn’t know where I really wanted it. Instead the Tmars tells me where it should be.
To achieve the best height position for you and your bike is the same like any other dropper. You establish this when you fit it. Some people will have more of the post inserted into the frame than others. There’s more than enough post length to accommodate this. But as with many other things in mountain biking it’s a personal thing. The dropper and its specs may not work out as perfectly for you as it has for me. I inserted it into my frame almost all the way in except for a smidge. Got off my bike once or twice but I established quite quickly where its best position was for me.

Once I actually rode the thing I forgot all about the boot and how obnoxious I thought it looked. Dare I say I actually started liking it? Don’t be silly. It’s ugly. But once you use it. Well, check the worry in my eyes. Most of my riding was in Eden and Gspot lately so lots of ups and downs, to and fro and in-betweens meant I used all 3 height settings regularly. Raised comfortably for extended climbs, slammed out the way for nuking trails and the glorious middle setting I used more often than I thought I would for riding the in-between stuff. It’s just where I want it too. The middle setting. High enough to pedal efficiently enough though small straights or ups and enough room to move about if I wanted to crank up a short rocky section off the saddle or roll down a small bit before I needed to pedal a few strokes. The in-between setting is also nice for just coasting along on the bike in a more upright and relaxed position. When I’m bombing down slammed it’s completely out of the way. With more room to move about than in Caitlyn Jenner’s bed.

Actuating the thing between the various positions couldn’t be easier. It works every time. I had to tighten my cable a bit but since doing that it works as well as you’d expect it to when you’re moving it up or down. You don’t have to click into the middle setting when raising or lowering between the 2 extremities either. You can raise and slam the thing quick, easy and on the fly. Naysayer’s would argue that the requirement to use ones weight on the saddle to raise or drop the post is a deal breaker. I use to think the same thing. Surely it must be a tremendous disadvantage? Perhaps more of a concern in races or chasing koms but even there it’s not enough of a niggle worth mentioning in my book. You don’t have to push it down to lift it up. It requires no more force to raise or drop other than your existing weight on the saddle. It all becomes second nature very quickly. And the reassuring click happens quick enough to let you know it’s where you want it and ready to go. My Giant dropper needed my weight to drop the post. Which in itself is counter intuitive init? I’m dropping the seat because I don’t want to sit on it after all. Is that not also a time waster? If you argue that your same weight isn’t required when raising that saddle. Sigh. Well, then you probably the kind of guy who’s better of riding a bike with the seatpost of your choice without any saddle.

When I bought it. I couldn’t see myself forking out that much cash on a decent dropper while I save for my next bike. My bike is old, my time with her will come to an end sooner rather than later but before I am ready to let her go and afford a new one. I NEEDED a dropper for the time I had left with her. We all know what its like to have one. You can’t go back. That was my motivation to get this one. It was cheap and I was saving for a new bike. But it has surpassed my expectations and while I would love to invest in a stealthy 125mm reverb  for my next bike. I’ll probably lay awake at night wondering about the price of my vanity.

Really glad you posted such an awsome review, and here's why:

I have a reverb (came with the bike I bought) and it was the my first and only dropper post so far.

Its awsome, smooth, looks great and you can decide high high or low you want it.

It very soon failed and needed a service that cost me about a grand. Recently it has bombed out again and needs a service ehich could cost about R1500. It also needs to bled every now and again as with hydraulic brakes.

I cant afford the services each year or more and seems exorbitant and ends ups costing a fortune year on year.

Came across an add for the same mechanical dropper in your review and went through all the doubts with the ugly look and limited settings but after reading your review it made it clear to me that this a a dropper that is reliable, cost effective and low maintenance as apposed to the reverb.

Was weighing up if I could deal with these "short comings" or if I could justify the cost of the reverb and you have answered that for me.

Getting the reverb serviced, selling it and getting me one of these.

Awesome Review, plain and like it is thanks.

I have been using my TMARS since February. Besides the looks, the other first drawback are that it takes a while to be run in. Basically it gets better when you use it more, locking and unlocking into position. I had a few issues in the first couple of months, like the post not wanting to come up when unlocked or unlocking itself when I was riding. It doesn't do this anymore. The second drawback is that there is some sideways motion of the seat post. When you ride, you don't notice it at all. It feels pretty solid.

I would rather buy 4 of these on eBay, use them one by one, than buy an expensive one that I need to service.

Servicing the TMARS is pretty simple - it pops out, you clean everything. Light grease on the post parts, oil spray down the cables and you are good for another month or two. Takes a few minutes.

The best part of having the dropper is the part when you approach the hectic section in a race, drop the post, people look and think "what the ....". Then you smash it.

The Tmars mechanical dropper. 110mm travel.

I’m going to try and be objective. Which is hard considering how well it has worked for me. It may not be the same for you and your bike but on my small framed Commencal Meta. The experience has been quite exceptional.

http://i.imgur.com/rE6RZBE.jpg

I’ve also only been using it for a couple weeks so I cannot comment on any issues regarding its maintenance. So far its functionality has been pretty much flawless. It does what it is meant to do without a hiccup every single time.

http://i.imgur.com/J16HPBl.jpg

On with it then.

Let’s get the obvious out the way. The reason why half of us won’t even consider it. That god awful black protective rubber boot sticking out like a woman’s moustache. It’s an insult to any flashy contemporary trail bike. She could have legs for days but let’s face it. It’s the deal breaker. Whether we want to admit it or not. Some of us would happily fork out triple the price on the obvious alternatives because we want something pretty. There’s nothing wrong with that. If you admit it. Hell I would if I had money to burn. But you have to be honest with yourself here. Because if you tell yourself (and others) that you paid that much more purely for its functionality. Then you have some explaining to do. I’m not just being deliberately argumentative either. Let’s be fair. If I had to pay double the price because 125/150mm travel would work better for me and my bike then sure. It’s worth paying for. But if 100mm is enough travel for you. Well, then the only question you need to ask is. How much do I hate that rubber boot? and more importantly: How much am I willing to spend to make it go away?

I noticed that in Nick’s review of the Forca dropper some time back, he removed the boot for the review pics. It better displayed the dropper’s unique functionality. You’ll notice in the pics he posted that there are holes in the droppers stanchion. These 3 holes are where the dropper clicks into place in each of the 3 respective height positions it’s limited to. It’s clear then why the boot is there at all. Keep water and muck out. While I’ve heard it’s the easiest thing to service and maintain. Once you take the boot off you run the risk of contaminating the dropper’s internals and quite possibly compromising its functionality. Especially if you riding in wet and muddy conditions.

So the boots ugly. I’ll admit that I had my reservations at first. But don’t let its appearance discourage you in terms of its ability to do what a dropper needs to. IT WORKS. It works pretty damn well actually and it’s as competent a piece of equipment as it needs to be for its intended purpose.

Its cable actuated like many other droppers out there but that’s where the similarity stops. It’s mechanical internals incorporate the use of a spring to control its height and desired position. This means that it needs to click into place to ensure that the spring doesn’t act like an ejector seat. It also means that the dropper lacks unlimited height positioning. Unlike the rest of its hydraulic brethren. It is limited to 3 positions only. Fully extended, halfway down and slammed. Despite having unlimited positioning on my previous dropper (Giant). I can honestly say that it’s not something I miss now. I really don’t need it. In fact I actually prefer it this way. There’s something reassuring about the way it clicks into place. You just know for sure. It’s extended now. It’s halfway. It’s slammed. Awesome.

Previously if I wanted my dropper a certain height. Particularly somewhere in the middle. It was a bit of a guessing game. A few pedal strokes later I would change my mind and raise or lower it slightly again. Which when I think about it, was only really a nuisance because I didn’t know where I really wanted it. Instead the Tmars tells me where it should be.

To achieve the best height position for you and your bike is the same like any other dropper. You establish this when you fit it. Some people will have more of the post inserted into the frame than others. There’s more than enough post length to accommodate this. But as with many other things in mountain biking it’s a personal thing. The dropper and its specs may not work out as perfectly for you as it has for me. I inserted it into my frame almost all the way in except for a smidge. Got off my bike once or twice but I established quite quickly where its best position was for me.

Once I actually rode the thing I forgot all about the boot and how obnoxious I thought it looked. Dare I say I actually started liking it? Don’t be silly. It’s ugly. But once you use it. Well, check the worry in my eyes. Most of my riding was in Eden and Gspot lately so lots of ups and downs, to and fro and in-betweens meant I used all 3 height settings regularly. Raised comfortably for extended climbs, slammed out the way for nuking trails and the glorious middle setting I used more often than I thought I would for riding the in-between stuff. It’s just where I want it too. The middle setting. High enough to pedal efficiently enough though small straights or ups and enough room to move about if I wanted to crank up a short rocky section off the saddle or roll down a small bit before I needed to pedal a few strokes. The in-between setting is also nice for just coasting along on the bike in a more upright and relaxed position. When I’m bombing down slammed it’s completely out of the way. With more room to move about than in Caitlyn Jenner’s bed.

Actuating the thing between the various positions couldn’t be easier. It works every time. I had to tighten my cable a bit but since doing that it works as well as you’d expect it to when you’re moving it up or down. You don’t have to click into the middle setting when raising or lowering between the 2 extremities either. You can raise and slam the thing quick, easy and on the fly. Naysayer’s would argue that the requirement to use ones weight on the saddle to raise or drop the post is a deal breaker. I use to think the same thing. Surely it must be a tremendous disadvantage? Perhaps more of a concern in races or chasing koms but even there it’s not enough of a niggle worth mentioning in my book. You don’t have to push it down to lift it up. It requires no more force to raise or drop other than your existing weight on the saddle. It all becomes second nature very quickly. And the reassuring click happens quick enough to let you know it’s where you want it and ready to go. My Giant dropper needed my weight to drop the post. Which in itself is counter intuitive init? I’m dropping the seat because I don’t want to sit on it after all. Is that not also a time waster? If you argue that your same weight isn’t required when raising that saddle. Sigh. Well, then you probably the kind of guy who’s better of riding a bike with the seatpost of your choice without any saddle.

When I bought it. I couldn’t see myself forking out that much cash on a decent dropper while I save for my next bike. My bike is old, my time with her will come to an end sooner rather than later but before I am ready to let her go and afford a new one. I NEEDED a dropper for the time I had left with her. We all know what its like to have one. You can’t go back. That was my motivation to get this one. It was cheap and I was saving for a new bike. But it has surpassed my expectations and while I would love to invest in a stealthy 125mm reverb  for my next bike. I’ll probably lay awake at night wondering about the price of my vanity.

Great review, thanks for taking the time. Are the Tmars and the Forca basically the same product or does one offer any advantage over the other?

Really glad you posted such an awsome review, and here's why:

I have a reverb (came with the bike I bought) and it was the my first and only dropper post so far.

Its awsome, smooth, looks great and you can decide high high or low you want it.

It very soon failed and needed a service that cost me about a grand. Recently it has bombed out again and needs a service ehich could cost about R1500. It also needs to bled every now and again as with hydraulic brakes.

I cant afford the services each year or more and seems exorbitant and ends ups costing a fortune year on year.

Came across an add for the same mechanical dropper in your review and went through all the doubts with the ugly look and limited settings but after reading your review it made it clear to me that this a a dropper that is reliable, cost effective and low maintenance as apposed to the reverb.

Was weighing up if I could deal with these "short comings" or if I could justify the cost of the reverb and you have answered that for me.

Getting the reverb serviced, selling it and getting me one of these.

I know folks rant about Spez stuff but I have their CHEAPEST dropper post (the one with only 3 height settings).

It has been on my bike for almost a year and I have never cleaned or lubed or serviced it.

I did pump up the pressure once, though.

The thing works faultlessly and I use it like a kid on a pogo stick.

I have been using my TMARS since February. Besides the looks, the other first drawback are that it takes a while to be run in. Basically it gets better when you use it more, locking and unlocking into position. I had a few issues in the first couple of months, like the post not wanting to come up when unlocked or unlocking itself when I was riding. It doesn't do this anymore. The second drawback is that there is some sideways motion of the seat post. When you ride, you don't notice it at all. It feels pretty solid.

I would rather buy 4 of these on eBay, use them one by one, than buy an expensive one that I need to service.

Servicing the TMARS is pretty simple - it pops out, you clean everything. Light grease on the post parts, oil spray down the cables and you are good for another month or two. Takes a few minutes.

The best part of having the dropper is the part when you approach the hectic section in a race, drop the post, people look and think "what the ....". Then you smash it.

I bring them in locally and hopefully will be able to build on this in the future. Let me know should you require any assistance with it.

Great review, thanks for taking the time. Are the Tmars and the Forca basically the same product or does one offer any advantage over the other?

They are more or less the same. Not sure where the difference is but basically the same type of mechanism

Both are basically a copy of the original Gravity Dropper

http://images.singletracks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-05-31-16.32.36.jpg

I have the ICE-Lift V8 which also works on the same mechanism (i.e. pin), but has a better Cable input

(V8 is on the left in this pic)

http://ibikedaily.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Ice-Lift-V8.jpg

Edited by Flowta