Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

I have been reading a googling the droppers and i have narrowed the options to two (once i have saved enough dosh or sold current one):

1) Giant 2016 - 30.9, 395/125mm. Problem: frame is 31.6 but i have googled you could make a shim with a beer can that works well.

2) DaBomb RPG - 31.6, 370/100mm. Fits my frame but has less drop is is somewhat shorter.

These are the two that seem to fit the "affordable" range.

Your thoughts?

Edited by AlanD

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading a googling the droppers and i have narrowed the options to two (once i have saved enough dosh or sold current one):

1) Giant 2016 - 30.9, 395/125mm. Problem: frame is 31.6 but i have googled you could make a shim with a beer can that works well.

2) DaBomb RPG - 31.6, 370/100mm. Fits my frame but has less drop is is somewhat shorter.

These are the two that seem to fit the "affordable" range.

Your thoughts?

Make sure the limitations of the Dabomb unit will suit your frame. Length and drop I mean.

I have a Giant but the 2015 100mm dropper. I can honestly say that I don't think I would benefit from the 125mm unit. The dropper itself can only go another 15-20mm into the large frame. I also don't recall ever thinking "I wish the seat could drop a bit more"

Only thing I did was make a "Lindaret" type mount for the lever.

post-35569-0-56575100-1457500146_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-20089200-1457500152_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-87765500-1457500156_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-27705000-1457500162_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-26720000-1457500168_thumb.jpg

Works like a charm.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Newer 125mm dropper is pretty much the same overall length as old 100mm due to the different type of seat clamp

The Dabomb unit is shorter on the seatpost section. In a medium frame it may be out past the minimum insertion mark.

I did not pay attention to the age of the thread and merrily started reading on page 1 today - do yourselves a favour and look at the prices that were considered "high" back in 2012... man those were the days! :-)

The Dabomb unit is shorter on the seatpost section. In a medium frame it may be out past the minimum insertion mark.

I have a medium frame amd the current dropper is 380mm and it goes in past the minimum insertion point, almost right up to the clamp due to riding flat pedals now.

So the Dabomb is only 10mm shorter.

I am looking for a 150mm drop 440mm long Giant... where oh where does one find the thing?

Landing around the 20th of March.

Been waiting since last year for 1.

• 1 month later...

my ks lev 272 has been an awesome addition to my ride i find the 100mm drop more than adequate.. and it is one beautifully made bit of equipment the quality is second to none.. pricey i know but in the end you really do get what you pay for...

my ks lev 272 has been an awesome addition to my ride i find the 100mm drop more than adequate.. and it is one beautifully made bit of equipment the quality is second to none.. pricey i know but in the end you really do get what you pay for...

The 27.2 is only available as a high end Lev. Difficult to find any other brands with that diameter.

Question for the guys with a Ks Lev/dx

Does the cable attachment point at the post slide over the seatpost clamp. I need to decide between the 100 or 125mm but the 125 is going to be a close call to the clamp.

Question for the guys with a Ks Lev/dx Does the cable attachment point at the post slide over the seatpost clamp. I need to decide between the 100 or 125mm but the 125 is going to be a close call to the clamp.

Yes, it does. It's got a slight gap between the lug and the post. 

When I had mine (with my old reign x) it was slammed to the top of the seat tube and the lug extended over the clamp. 

EDIT: Pic to show what I mean

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p6pb11229425/p5pb11229425.jpg

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Im ready to buy the giant dropper and wanted to ask if i should go 125mm or 150mm drop?

My current dropper is 125mm drop, 380mm length and seems sufficient for what i ride.

The seat tube on my bike is straight with no kinks. I am about 2cm from having my current dropper post all the way in before i reach the top cap so not sure if this plays a rike with the 150mm dropper where i wont be able to get it down enough for the right height.

The giant 150mm is 440mm in length. Which one would be best?

Just make sure the rest of the seatpost can g al the way into the frame, and that your saddle height can handle 150mm drop.(saddle won't be to high with the 150 post)