Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any recommendations for someone who can service a Reverb in jhb without sending it away?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
FASTACE dropper seatpost!

Has anyone used or seen one before? They cost about 2.5k, hydraulic mechanism, cable actuated with a KS style cable remote. There's also a stealth version. They feel well made! Kinda looks like something that's only missing a KS badge...

https://www.taipeicy...AE1F1F6AA5DFC60

Edited by RiverInTheRoad

• 1 month later...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-race-face-turbine--easton-haven-dropper-post-2015.html

First Look: Race Face Turbine / Easton Haven Dropper Post

The popularity of dropper posts has skyrocketed over the last few seasons, fueled by riders who have discovered the benefits of being able to raise and lower their seats on the fly. What was once a small segment of the market has blossomed, and now Race Face and Easton have decided to toss their hats into the ring, with each company announcing a dropper post scheduled to arrive later this year. Both posts house the same internals, but are branded differently – Race Face's is called the Turbine, and Easton's the Haven, a move that will allow bike manufacturers to spec a complete line from either company, rather than mixing and matching. 

The post is a cable actuated affair, and uses internals that are based on technology licensed from 9point8, the small Canadian company who debuted their Fall Line dropper post last spring. Versions with 100, 125, or 150 millimeters of drop will be available, all of which are infinitely adjustable, meaning the seat can be stopped at any point in its travel. There's zero offset at the seat clamp, which uses a simple two bolt design for easy angle adjustment. 
Details
• SIze: 30.9, 31.6mm
• Length: 350, 375, 415, 440mm
• Travel: 100, 125, 150mm
• Lever actuation: mechanical
• Weight (claimed): 495grams w/o lever
• Price: $469.99 USD

Initially, the posts will ship with a paddle-shaped thumb lever, but there will also be an aftermarket option available that mimics the shape of a shift lever. Race Face will even be offering different lever colors for riders who want to take their matching game to the next level. MSRP is expected to be $469.99 USD when the post becomes available in November 2015.

http://lp3.pinkbike.org/p1pb6168857/p1pb6168857.jpg The post can easily be detached from the cable mechanism by unscrewing the outer cap and then unthreading the longer rectangular portion of the activator.

How it Works

Inside the post's 7050 aluminum body is a mechanical brake that's used to hold the inner post in place at the desired height. The brake works via a spring loaded plunger that enters a small, fluid filled chamber, causing it to expand and lock in place against the inside of the post. Depressing the remote lever reduces the pressure, allowing the post to move freely. Race Face and Easton claim that the post will still work even in below-freezing temperatures for those hearty souls that aren't afraid to venture out in the ice and snow. Removing the post from the bike is as simple as disconnecting the cable from the base of the post, a process that requires minimal tools and only takes a few minutes. 

http://es.pinkbike.org/245/sprt/i/pb-small.png The post will ship with a paddle-shaped lever, but a trigger shifter style lever will be available separately.

Ride Impressions:

http://es.pinkbike.org/245/sprt/i/bigquotes.pngRace Face provided me with a pre-production version of the post to try out in Whistler, BC, in order to get a feel for how the post functioned. I headed away from the Crankworx crowds and onto a section of Comfortably Numb, a trail that was either built by a genius or a sadist, a twisting and turning roller coaster of rocks and roots that can't decide if it wants to go uphill or downhill. Basically, the ideal terrain for a dropper post. 

The post was very was easy to activate, and even in panic mode I didn't have any trouble quickly reaching it to get the seat safely out of my way. The lever's width makes a nice thumb perch, but I would like to see the shape become even more rounded to make it less likely to poke a knee or snag on clothing. As I neared the halfway point of my ride, I ran into a snafu - the post started refusing to stop at any position other than fully extended or fully compressed. The mechanical brake wasn't engaging at any of the middle positions, causing it to move freely up and down rather than supporting my weight. 

According to Race Face, they're working on a fix for this issue, and it should be sorted out for the full production run. We've been testing 9point8's Fall Line post, which uses the same design concept, for the last three months and haven't had any trouble, so it's likely that making the switch to a different facility has brought on some unforeseen difficulties for Race Face and Easton. As soon as a production version is on hand we'll be putting it to the test, at which time we'll be able to truly see how much of a contender this new dropper post will be.
 - Mike Kazimer
Edited by Raydek

^ If it's cheap its a nice option

Quote off MTBR:

"Obviously it’s far too early for Orbea to discuss pricing, but at a guess, we can see it retailing for around £50-75."

Quote off MTBR:

"Obviously it’s far too early for Orbea to discuss pricing, but at a guess, we can see it retailing for around £50-75."

Pity you can't safely operate it on the go, which is kinda the point, no?

Pity you can't safely operate it on the go, which is kinda the point, no?

This is very true! But for those that have never had a hydraulic one before or don't have a lot of cash, it is an option.

This is very true! But for those that have never had a hydraulic one before or don't have a lot of cash, it is an option.

All it needs is a gas cylinder at the bottom, The ones you use on a trailer of canopy. Before I got a proper dropper I made my own ghetto one. You can easily undo the seat clamp while riding, all you had to do was sit on it and it would compress, tighten the clamp and good to go.. as you get ready to pedal, you just pop the clamp open and lift your butt and it would push back to its original place. Cost me 20 bucks for the cylinder 

post-59319-0-49522400-1423822173_thumb.jpg
Edited by Bomberman

All it needs is a gas cylinder at the bottom, The ones you use on a trailer of canopy. Before I got a proper dropper I made my own ghetto one. You can easily undo the seat clamp while riding, all you had to do was sit on it and it would compress, tighten the clamp and good to go.. as you get ready to pedal, you just pop the clamp open and lift your butt and it would push back to its original place. Cost me 20 bucks for the cylinder 

How would you set the seat height though in extended mode?

Oh I see, the wooden block would serve as base, and you'd cut that to size.  Clever.

Still not ideal riding at speed one hand off the bar, but still very nifty solution.

Where did you pick up a gaslift cylinder thingy for R20?