After Exercise Ice Bath - Does It Help Recovery?

Has anyone any views on using an ice bath after exercise? Does it aid recovery? If it does work, how long must one be in the cold?

Any experience or views appreciated.

Has anyone any views on using an ice bath after exercise? Does it aid recovery? If it does work, how long must one be in the cold?

Any experience or views appreciated.

It has to do with vascular constriction and the obdies ability to open up the veins wider after the cold is removed in order to expediate recovery. I.e. cold makes the veins close and then heat makes them open up which aids in removal of waste products from exercise. In my opinion I would use alternating hot and cold in order to help your legs recover and flush all the wastes out of the muscles.

I will never have an ice bath. It will make your tool turtleneck.

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

It does work but I would rather go for a hot shower followed by some arnica oil for a rub down and then compression socks till the next morning.

To climb into an ice bath after a race or hard training you need to be really dedicated and brave.

I'm definetly not that brave or dedicated...

The objective of the ice bath is to bring muscle temperatures down to reduce/avoid tissue damage (high muscle temps are associated with micro structural damage), but an Ice bath is very extreme - try washing down your legs under a cold hose or sit on the steps of a cool swimming pool - has the same effect.

As an aside - the pool pump outlet when the pump is running makes a for very useful diy massage - especially for lower back and legs if it is convieniently placed.

Don't care if it gives me superpowers - not a chance of me ever climbing into an ice bath! Will leave that up to Mr Pugh.

Edited by Wet Ears

Lying down with your legs up against a wall or couch for 10 -15 minutes also allows the blood to drain out of your legs and is definetly less painfull.

Wonder if anyone has compared the results of the legs up and ice bath method?

Those facial expressions say it all...

post-182-0-55046800-1343120260.jpg

15 mins max. Yes it helps. it also helps to wear diving booties when you're in there, and you don't need to go in more than waist deep.

Had two such baths at Epic!

Lying down with your legs up against a wall or couch for 10 -15 minutes also allows the blood to drain out of your legs and is definetly less painfull.

Wonder if anyone has compared the results of the legs up and ice bath method?

Those facial expressions say it all...

post-182-0-55046800-1343120260.jpg

I used this after hills training and long runs in 2003 when i ran a 2h50 marathon.I did recover faster but would love to see results of this compared to compression garments.

I wore my diving booties, a beanie and gloves to help stay warm :cursing:

Sore quite a few teams using this at Tour de France this year,many also wore cooler jackets for warm ups on the idt's.

I've been doing this cold water thing over winter, just using the pool which is currently 13º so not quite an ice bath, standing just so my butt is dry. I stand for between 3 and 10 minutes. Followed by a hot shower.

I have found my legs feel much better than the used to on similar workouts. The tired stiff feeling is no longer evident, the result is very similar in fact to a post session massage. But quicker and free.