Stupid people shouldn't ride bicycles

theHED

This has bothered me for a while, but what I saw this morning has finally pushed me to a point where I need to rant!

People living in the Table View / West Coast part of Cape Town are very lucky to have access to a cycle lane that goes all the way into town. Not all cyclists who commute are so lucky.

My commute to work in Observatory is 21km's, 17 of those are on the cycle lane... only 4 have to be spent riding in traffic.

On a fairly regular basis I see cyclists choosing to ride on the road and not use the cycle lane, more often I see this near Sunset Beach. There is a fairly wide yellow line there but you are still riding right along side moving vehicles.

This morning I saw 2 cyclists (1 male 1 female) kitted out in rather nice Aurecon clothing, cycling in traffic further along Otto Du Plessis. On the stretch of road that goes past the Milnerton High School. Now that section is where a few cyclists were killed when the road works where happening there, its also being made even narrower due to the bus lane. This all equates to a even less space for said cyclists to use.

There is a perfectly good cycle lane right next to the road, so WTF don't they use it?

Surely the chance of getting a puncture is much more appealing than death by car? I know which I'd choose.

I can only conclude that these 2 people are stupid, if they were to be involved in a accident we'd all be up in arms about people in cars not sharing the road. Stupid people like this should NOT be allowed to ride bicycles as they give all cyclists a bad rep. My personal opinion is that if you chose not to use the cycle lane and you are involved in an accident on that stretch of road, you have quite simply asked for it.

Rant over.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude there are people like that all over Cape Town. I work in Simons Town and I often see people riding like complete idiots. I saw a dead chap on the side of the road about 4 years ago and expect to see many more. Just like the drivers in Cape Town. I often stop at orange robots cause I don't feel safe goiung through and a driver will pass me and hoot and go through the red. Cape Town has become an absolute pig hole. I just hope that when these idiots kill themselves they only take themselves and their stupid families with them and not the innocent ones.

And judging by the way CA registered cars drive when on holiday here....you are seriously looking for big moeilikheid :eek:

This has been debated quite a lot before under different topic headings, but I don't think we can discuss it enough. I fully share your sentiments, even though I go against the sentiments of some of my mates. Thorns and bunch-riding aspirations are not an excuse to stay off the cycle lane. If I'm not mistaken, its even a road ordinance that a cyclist isn't allowed to cycle on the road where there is a cycle lane, but I speak under correction.

Its just people in general. why use the sidewalk if there is a perfectly good road that you can walk three abreast on!

the same applies to mountain bikers who would rather cycle on the road in heavy traffic rather than use the perfectly good single track next to the road....

why cross at pedestrian crossings when it means a detour to get to your shop? why use the pedestrian bridge when you can just cross the highway on foot?

Gar!

Well if they were riding fast then I can understand.

The bicycle lane is more for slow commuting.

Please note: I live in the southern suburbs but would use a bicycle lane if we had one when cycling to work.

The same could be said for Liesbeck Parkway. A nice cycle lane but on a club ride we are not going to ride on the cycle lane for various reasons:

1. Made of bricks at some parts which doesn't work to well.

2. Zig zags the whole time.

3. Very slippery.

4. Randomly starts and ends (near an on ramp to the free way which is dangerous).

And for the cycle lane along parts on Campground road:

1. Starts and ends randomly.

2. Crosses peoples driveways with cars parked in your way.

3. Crosses Campground road several times.

4. Very bad road surface.

5. Pedestrians who shout at you as I am in their way.

Now for general commuting to and from work I will try use the cycle paths as much as possible but when I am doing a club ride I don't see us cycling on the cycle lane.

Just out of interest......what would the life insurance company do when they get a claim for a sole breadwinner of a young family that was killed while cycling in dangerous traffic on the road, in a place where a safe cycle lane was available?

What i would do for cycling Lanes in JHB!

There is a thread with a link to a facebook campaign about just that here somewhere.

This has been debated quite a lot before under different topic headings, but I don't think we can discuss it enough. I fully share your sentiments, even though I go against the sentiments of some of my mates. Thorns and bunch-riding aspirations are not an excuse to stay off the cycle lane. If I'm not mistaken, its even a road ordinance that a cyclist isn't allowed to cycle on the road where there is a cycle lane, but I speak under correction.

apparently you are allowed to ride on the road even though there are cycle lanes. In other words you are legally allowed to be a chop.