Cape Epic Battle Plan ...

We have guided Epic riders to achieve their best over the past 4 years - from podiums to guaranteed finishing. Our goal is 1) securing your substantial investment as entry fees are the smallest part of the investment you make; and 2) optimize the time you spend training. For insight into what it all entails, contact us ...

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do tell us more ??

Given everything goes well and you don't break your bones or your bike, for the 2-man team your maintenance on your bike will be around R30,000 (pre-Epic), you need a service plan at the Epic - about R5,000, your supplements will be around R15,000, you need very focused advice on skills and preparation as TIS (time in saddle) does not suffice anymore - around R10,000, apparel, CSA licence etc around R8,000 and whala, you end up with around R70,000. Now that is a hefty investment if you do not make cut-off! Be sensible, lower the risk and get proper advice ...

Who have you put on the podium?

Christine Jansen van Rensburg - her testimonial reads:

"Pierre’s coaching advice and guidance was instrumental in guiding my performance during the 2011 ABSA Cape Epic mountain bike race. His approach on training time optimisation through quality training sessions worked well and helped me gaining maximum from relatively little time spent on my mountain bike in preparation for this arduous event."

Dr Christine Jansen van Rensburg

nd
Mixed Sub Vet Overall

st
Mixed Sub Vet South African Teams

Given everything goes well and you don't break your bones or your bike, for the 2-man team your maintenance on your bike will be around R30,000 (pre-Epic), you need a service plan at the Epic - about R5,000, your supplements will be around R15,000, you need very focused advice on skills and preparation as TIS (time in saddle) does not suffice anymore - around R10,000, apparel, CSA licence etc around R8,000 and whala, you end up with around R70,000. Now that is a hefty investment if you do not make cut-off! Be sensible, lower the risk and get proper advice ...

Do you use the same chemist as Frank Schleck?? Seems you will have some explaining to do if you win. 15 grand seriously... not sure which tree you pulled that out of.

Do you use the same chemist as Frank Schleck?? Seems you will have some explaining to do if you win. 15 grand seriously... not sure which tree you pulled that out of.

Use a calculator when you do the maths :thumbup: - a team of 2 doing 1 tub per person per month (used VARY sparingly) & some recovery stuff @ MINIMUM R500/month for 1 rider equals R1,000/month x 7 = R14,000 for 2 riders. During the Epic you will consume another R1,000 supplements due to the amount of riding. That's a BARE MINIMUM of R15,000!!!

Use a calculator when you do the maths :thumbup: - a team of 2 doing 1 tub per person per month (used VARY sparingly) & some recovery stuff @ MINIMUM R500/month for 1 rider equals R1,000/month x 7 = R14,000 for 2 riders. During the Epic you will consume another R1,000 supplements due to the amount of riding. That's a BARE MINIMUM of R15,000!!!

I have done the Epic twice and to me that is rediculous. But hey I wasn't going for the podium so what do I know. I did it for fun. If I spent what you have put up I would be in way over my head. First time we came 118th and second time 180th. But hey as I said.. what do I know.

I have done the Epic twice and to me that is rediculous. But hey I wasn't going for the podium so what do I know. I did it for fun. If I spent what you have put up I would be in way over my head. First time we came 118th and second time 180th. But hey as I said.. what do I know.

What did you spend? Tell us with regards to apparel, maintenance pre-Epic, supplements pre-Epic, maintenance at the Epic, supplements at the Epic, travel & accommodation, training excursions, etc.

Bottom line, all-in-all its a major expense! How do you lower the risk of that investment you made?

Bottom line, all-in-all its a major expense! How do you lower the risk of that investment you made?

Is it an investment at all or just an expense?

Completed 2 Epics, 2011 and 2012.

Rough Stats for 2012: Leaving out the entry fee which cost me less than full price.

Mechanic package : Zero. Did my own basic work. Had no mechanicals, but the Mechanics at Epic ALWAYS take walk-in business. Learnt my lesson in 2011. You pay R 3500 over to ...... and get crap service.

Nutrition Pre Race: 1 tub Enduren every 6 weeks (R195/tub). Epic training started proper in November . Cost : R 682,50

Nutrition at Race: R 195 (didn't use the whole tub). Don't use GU's , so no cost there.

Cramp & Salt Tabs: R 150

CSA License: 0 Got PPA and that was enough. Plus, it's valid for 1 year.

Training Plan: used Kevin Evan's plan from the 2010 Pioneer, plus got some free advice. Just need to ask. Cost: 0

VO2max Test at Sports Science: R 660 (voluntary, just to see how my fitness was a month before the Epic)

Spares and Wear & Tear during Training: difficult to assess as I ride a lot anyway, but let's call it R 4000. If you put new tyres,chain , small ring and cassette on your bike before the Epic, you'll be fine.

Training Time : about 10-15 hours/ week which went down to 8-10/ week, 6 weeks before the Epic. Intervals of an hour twice a week and normal riding for the rest.

Massage: R 2000. We had our own Physio (Connections: she's my wife :thumbup: ). I got it for free, but add the cost, because that is the one non-negotiable to get a proper massage to get the legs ready for the next day.

Cycling Tops: Sponsored, but let's add R 2500 for 5 shirts per rider. Bibs can be your own.

Do you count other races such as Pioneer as part of Epic training? I think not. They are proper races in their own right and I would do them irrespective of whether I have entered the Epic, but give you good base training. Throw in the W2W or Knysna 300 and you have events which are great rides to do and give you excellent prep time for the Epic. And they test your team compatibility.

I didn't buy a new bike for the Epic. I actually took a second hand Fox shock someone sold on The Hub for 2k and did the Epic with it. He bought a 10k shock for the Epic. Makes the point of potentially overspending for the Epic. If you maintain your bike , you will be fine . Nobody can forsee major mechanicals , crashes or sickness.

My total is : R 10187,50.

I'll add another : R1812,50 for sundries. R 12000 , excluding Entry Fee. I don't think that is such a scary looking number. Check my maths in case I made a mistake adding up.

Just for the record, our team finished GC 170 in this year's Epic

Edited by kandui

This sort of scare mongering around the Epic is what really pisses me off. Maybe 20 teams can win get on the podium as opposed to the 250 odd teams that just want to complete the event.

They certainly don't need the structured training plans, maintenance contracts et al to complete and have fun. I personally think the total number quoted may be close but the mix is pretty off. R15k for supplements? Come on? Just eat and drink properly and leave the supplements to the 20 teams that want the podium.

If your training for the Epic requires supplements and a tailor made paid for training programme the you need some serious help from the shrink. Best you don't ride it.

To say TIS is not enough is just rubbish. You cannot complete the Epic without serious TIS and serious base miles. The rest is optional.

Given everything goes well and you don't break your bones or your bike, for the 2-man team your maintenance on your bike will be around R30,000 (pre-Epic), you need a service plan at the Epic - about R5,000, your supplements will be around R15,000,

you need very focused advice on skills and preparation as TIS (time in saddle) does not suffice anymore - around R10,000

apparel, CSA licence etc around R8,000 and whala, you end up with around R70,000. Now that is a hefty investment if you do not make cut-off! Be sensible, lower the risk and get proper advice ...

Since when does TIS not suffice ANYMORE, if it did once before why not anymore?

Time in saddle is crucial imo

Considering the costs of doing Epic what exactly does the R10'000 cover?

I guess the OP is aiming at the Corporate first time Epic riders who will spare no expense. Over 60% of Epic riders in 2011 bought new bikes for the race. You can imagine the average cost of those. What's another 10k to them?

5k for a mechanic package. Totally overpriced. I know a mechanic who does it for half the price and he had a the Masters leaders under his wing until they pulled out due to a fall.

Put a call out for Epic training advice on this Platform and you will get hundreds of tips. Filter and you will have plenty to do for free. Go to the Daisyway website and you can get a free training plan for "Have time issues" and "Got to get a good result" guys. For Mahala.

I think the Pioneer Trek site just put up a training plan as well.

Live in the tents, they are fine. Save the B&B cash to take the wife & kids away for a weekend to say Thank You for putting up with my training.

The assumptions are quite high, but the point is that it is an expensive race, and there's no question about that (just see the 1000's of hub topics about it). Add travelling and pre- post- event accommodation for the non Cape people, and it really does add up.

I recon there is a big market for this sort of training plan. I much prefer the DIY approach and enjoy reading up on training. But that's not for everyone.

To the OP, it might help if you were a bit more clear about what exactly you are offering, it sounds like you are deliberately being vague.