Cape Epic Battle Plan ...

FIrst Epic for me 2013 - only goal / aim is to finish without any broken body parts, just the whole experience is value for me :clap:

If you need practical, on the ground advice, let me know. Happy to help.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have guided Epic riders to achieve their best over the past 4 years - from podiums to guaranteed finishing. Our goal is 1) securing your substantial investment as entry fees are the smallest part of the investment you make; and 2) optimize the time you spend training. For insight into what it all entails, contact us ...

This belongs in Classifieds.

No problem with you punting your services, but looking for business is not a forum topic. You seem to know this in your last 2 words.

If you need practical, on the ground advice, let me know. Happy to help.

Sounds good - any advice for a first timer is appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Omega Man

If I could ride downhill like you seem to be able to I would also chose 2 weeks in the Alps. Actually I would still chose 2 weeks in the Alps - downhill skill or not.

But I'm doing my first Epic next year. Do I think it's good value for money? Absolutely not! Is it something I want to do? Absolutely yes!

Do a trip next year. There's enough incredible riding for any skill level and any orientation. I personally guarantee it. And it's k@k cheap. And i don't want your money. I just want you to have a FAT smile on your face. ;)

If I must choose a trip to the Alps, or the Epic, I would probably choose Epic again and I have been to the Alps

For me the Epic was definately an investment - an investment in your health, fitness, self esteem etc. **** the sticker, that fades after a few washes, but the memory and the medal is forever. And chicks dig it

@Enticement

And the R10'000 you mentioned in the same breath as TIS, what is that for /include?

We all have our vies on the Epic. OP, you see it as a business opportunity and I have no problem with that. While I may need some help to achieve my Epic goals, I am not in the market for spending loads of cash for the tailor made assistance . But, that doesn't mean others aren't . We are engaging in healthy debate and that's cool. But , as others have asked, what do we get for your price? Break it down, I'd be genuinely interested. Perhaps you can convince me that what you're selling is what I need.

Or even better still. Why not give me 6 weeks (August to mid September) on your programme for free and I will provide objective and regular feedback to this Forum, my mailing list of 250+, via the TMB Facebook page and Twitter. I have a solid fitness level and 6 weeks should show some tangible results? What do you say?

I'm hesitant to answer as this is not the forum for that, however, in line with "healthy debate" will do so.

We follow an anticipatory response coaching model aimed at determining your goal and then your current state of conditioning with respect to that. We use that as starting point for compiling your personalized/customized conditioning program. This program is fitted into 12-week cycles and we also utilize periodisation. That implies a sequential approach for addressing each of the elements constituting the level of conditioning required for you to achieve your goal. As bike handling skills is a function of your level of conditioning it also covers that. Also included is race preparation, race planning and actual races are being used to serve as "dipsticks" for measuring progress. Anticipatory response coaching is a project plan aimed at "mind conditioning", and consequently includes mind coaching.

As for a freebee, why don't you pay my normal fees up-front for 12 weeks and when (not "if") you benefit from it I'll give you a 50% payback! The prerequisite however is that you must stick to the program and send me your completed logbook every 2 weeks. If I do it your way there is no reason why you would take it seriously or objectively. Talk is cheep, money ...

I wouldn't mind spending the money on a program like this given the possible result that you might achieve (and yes, I realise the first comment will be something like "you can finish well without a program like this")...

I would be the first to agree that completing the Epic is a HUGE accomplishment in itself but most people have some sort of competitive streak in them that imply that they don't just "want to finish"

When I (hopefully) do the epic in 2014 I never want to ask myself afterwards whether I really gave it my all, not only via the end result but also in terms of giving myself the ultimate chance of (increased) success by means of pre-race training and preparation.

Once again, different strokes for different folks.

I am doing the pioneer in 12 weeks .Started with their training program this week .Yup! the download on their webpage .Looking forward to a great race.Anybody done both pioneer and epic.My plan.Get as fit and strong as my body permits and don,t overtrain .Become realy good at fixing a tyre leak. Get by ass used to 6hours on the saddle

Given everything goes well and you don't break your bones or your bike, for the 2-man team your maintenance on your bike will be around R30,000 (pre-Epic), you need a service plan at the Epic - about R5,000, your supplements will be around R15,000, you need very focused advice on skills and preparation as TIS (time in saddle) does not suffice anymore - around R10,000, apparel, CSA licence etc around R8,000 and whala, you end up with around R70,000. Now that is a hefty investment if you do not make cut-off! Be sensible, lower the risk and get proper advice ...

sounds like I'm buying insurance not riding my bike. I think I'll give the epic a skip if this is what is required.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Do you use the same chemist as Frank Schleck?? Seems you will have some explaining to do if you win. 15 grand seriously... not sure which tree you pulled that out of.

I also struggled with the gag reflex when I saw the 15k estimate for supplements.

I hope the OP's coaching is better than their PR and marketing strategy.

@ the OP.

So from what you are saying the cost of doing the Epic each is 35k + Entry fee + Airplane tickets and accom if you are not a local.

Good lord that is a LOT of money.

My budget for BC bike race next year:

Entry fee R 12800

Meal plan R280

Flights R9500(cape town to Vancouver)

Accomodation before and after the race R3750 (5 nights)

Full drive train replacement before race R3500

Full service (hubs, BB, Suspension, headset, brakes, shifter cables) R1500

New tyres (will do in Canada, more choice, cheaper and can incorporate weather forecast) R1000

Kit: sponsored

Nutrition: R200 (private nutritionist product I've been using for 3 years)

I dont regard training expenses as part of the event cost as I would be training regardless of wether I'm doing a race or not.

Total cost for 7 days of mtb heaven R32330

You can do the Epic via the ordinary guy route. Like I did. Year 1 got a bike and ate the food I got. And drank 1/2 coke and water and Energade and powerade. No bike services. The second year I made a few drive train upgrades. And did it again with the same recipe. The third time I got clever and bought all kinds of expensive dust(Epic pro) that tastes like vomit. After the second day I was back to the same recipe as year 1. Giving the expensive dust to people who think normal food is abnormal.

My supplements were Berocca cal and Slow mag.

No. I did not podium. We had the odd breakages. I wanted to be clever with lightweight tires... Survived without any massage/ maintenance/sustenance plan. We are doing the Cape pioneer trek in October. Vleis rys en aartappels.

Or you can swallow all the pills and potions on the market and have the most expensive urine in the southern hemisphere. Just be sure that the stuff you intend to ingest does not give you stomach cramps or jippo guts.

50% TIS

30% hardegat and do not do stupid things. Like stupid tires.

10% luck

The others make up the last 10%.

Have fun.

What did you spend? Tell us with regards to apparel, maintenance pre-Epic, supplements pre-Epic, maintenance at the Epic, supplements at the Epic, travel & accommodation, training excursions, etc.

Bottom line, all-in-all its a major expense! How do you lower the risk of that investment you made?

I spent very little. I train on water and don't use any sports drinks or gels except for races. I don't use a trainer as I feel I am a competent rider and have been riding for 6 years. I ride with people of all levels and that for me is enough training. I ride 6 times a week at about an average of 2-3 hours per ride. My bike has usual services done by myself. I cannot help the parts I go through. I see that as a running expense, as I use my car to drive me to places I use my bike to ride and that is an expense of my lifestyle. I live in Cape Town so no accomodation either. Apparel, well my partner for the race worked at 2XU so he got us shirts for free. The rest of my kit was my usual riding stuff. I own a few pairs of Assos and have the rest so no extra cost there either.

I think you are trying to do a good thing here but don't head your thread "CAPE EPIC BATTLE PLAN" that is just rubbish. It is not a battle. Also don't go throwing down stupid figures. If someone is doing the Epic they should have an idea of what it is about and what they need to do it. If they don't then they are the ones at fault. I have read all your posts on this thread and to me you are talking rubbish. It is not an investment. It is an experience. Good luck with training your soldiers for the next battle date.