No more 26" MTB from 2013 - is this true?

gummybear

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only in Seff Efrica is the 29'ers the next best thing since sliced bread. Rest of world is still largely 26" orientated.

Can't see the 26" disapearing from the market.

Edited by Wannabe

Bullcrap. So all the Makro bikes will be 29'ers in 2 years time? Doubt it.

I dont think we talking about Makro and Game bikes.

I also heard that 26ers will have to pay a higher entry fee for races, as it's considered "old" technology and that they will have to start in their own group, at the back of the field, so as not to slow down the faster 29er riders..... 'strue I'm telling you..

I also heard that 26ers will have to pay a higher entry fee for races, as it's considered "old" technology and that they will have to start in their own group, at the back of the field, so as not to slow down the faster 29er riders..... 'strue I'm telling you..

Hehehehhe....off to go get you a bigger spoon :clap:

how tall are you?

if you are victor matfield. go for the 29er.

if you are francois hougaard go for the 26

if it's a tossup inbetween, the 26 will give way more bang for buck than 29er. they come with hype, which is pricey

Interestingly, Victor Matfield was at the Cullinan Nissan Series on a 26" dual suspension bike...

FWIW I know some manufacturers are no longer producing 26" hardtails in 2013 (e.g BMC).

Guys talking a load of shite, look at companies like santa cruz etc, they still developing and releasing new model 26ers.... What the local distributors decide to import is a different story!

I just got back from a cycling trip overseas and i think i spotted 1 29er on the entire trip! Its not all about XC racing over there! there are plenty people who enjoy and are buying 26 inch trail bikes!!!

Bullcrap. So all the Makro bikes will be 29'ers in 2 years time? Doubt it.

They're getting rid of all non-29er bikes. Even 12", 16", 20" and 26" bikes are being stopped. Good news though is that they'll be making kids' bikes in 29er now. Kids will now know real speed from the age of three onwards.

"He suggested that a 29" Hardtail is equivalent, if not a little better, than its equivalent 26" Dual Suspension - obviously we are not talking the best in the range - I am looking to spend in the region R15-16K

looks like that shop owner salesman is giving poor advice in order to make a sale.

Firstly, getting 26" in SA might be an issue since everyone is gaga over 29" here, overseas not so much.

There is no way a 29" hardtail is the equivalent of a 26" dual suspension, that is just wrong. Dual suspension and hardtail are two completely different bikes with different handling, and characteristics, and uses - no matter if its 26" or 29".

29" has its own issues, and as said above, chose according to your size, riding style, intended usage, budget.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Guys talking a load of shite, look at companies like santa cruz etc, they still developing and releasing new model 26ers.... What the local distributors decide to import is a different story!

I just got back from a cycling trip overseas and i think i spotted 1 29er on the entire trip! Its not all about XC racing over there! there are plenty people who enjoy and are buying 26 inch trail bikes!!!

That's were we are streaks ahead as a country. In Banking and 29ers... One day the rest will catch up, until then I will continue looking down at those of you on your antique perambulators from the height of my 29er...... Great topic for this time of the morning..

To get back to the OP's question. Some companies are not producing 26 hard tail bikes anymore, but a lot still are. A 29er HT will not be as plush / comfortable / forgiving as a 26 dual suspension. Ride both and see which one you like.

That's were we are streaks ahead as a country. In Banking and 29ers... One day the rest will catch up, until then I will continue looking down at those of you on your antique perambulators from the height of my 29er...... Great topic for this time of the morning..

We should use 29ers to deliver textbooks…

Fully agree...oh and 29'ers roll over stuffs much better. You cannot argue with science.

We should use 29ers to deliver textbooks…

Correct. As Prof. Jansen said "There is no skills shortage"