No more 26" MTB from 2013 - is this true?

gummybear

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lbs's like this pee me off - i experienced the same with cyclesphere in durban. buy what you like and what suits you. I am 6ft so could easily fit a 29er but i don't want one - i like my 26...and yes..i have tried a 29er. at the end of the day your bike might help you a bit - but if you cant climb a hill someone will always be in front of you on a 26er 24er,29er or inbetweener

@Flowta: Yup, and considering the price it doesn't look too terrible...

Edited by Jacquers

Bike shop did mention 650B, said that only certain shock types will have the clearance to fit them, example Fox Shox, a lot of the Rox Shox will not be compatible.

My own argument is to follow that of vehicle OEM's eventhoug the discontinue vehicles they still manufacture spares etc. Same for 26" me thinks, they have been here since MTB came on the scene with gazillions sold all over, you can't just stop supporting that market?!

On that he's correct, but by 2013 most of the major fork manufacturers will supply forks to accommodate 650b, it's a wheel size that's been around for 40 years or so.

There's plenty support for 26inch, will be for more than the next 10 years.

Anyhow, it's an ISO requirement for any manufacturer to have availability of certain parts over a given time period.

I would hate to admit it but i have seen worst looking bikes. Not bad for that price.

My thoughts exactly, might have to pop round and have a look myself sometime

again. I will say. each have their use. ride open flats and my 29 rolls far better. have to gun it and go around corners and the 26 just handles soooo much better and feels easy 50% faster. Nope have not times as I am not at that level. But both have their job.

and the pros ride 29's the sam ereason they ride 26's. They get sponsored with it and have to use it and have to paise it. Just the way marketing works. So you all have 26' bikes. Our market is only so big. HOw does the importers keep the ball rolling? Telling you 26 is obsolete and sell you a 29'. A whole new market again. At this point neither is better to me as both have advantages and drawbacks. If I were to go ride a jeep track and lighter I will take the 29. If there is single invoved then the 26 FS takes it for me. I just feel so much more in control.

edit: btw I am 1.77m @ 1.9+ I could understand that 29 may be more handleble and a 26 feels like a BMX.. Shorter.. mmm...

Edited by JTK

Would like to know if this is true? Was at a bike shop during the week, as I am in the market for a new MTB, where the shop owner informed me that none of the bike OEM's have and 26" bike in their catalogues for 2013 and will only be producing 29" - hence his recommendation for rather purchasing the 29".

Feedback and comments on this will be much appreciated

“None of the OEM’s” is serious over generalization, but looking at some 2013 line ups (talking about Specialized…who tend to lead and others follow…) there is evidence that this 29onlything could happen to certain types of bikes and frame sizes…i.e. cross country and marathon bikes for average and large sized riders.

Greg would be much faster if he was on a 29'er....FACT but SC doesn't build 29'ers with 8 gazillion inches of travel.

Remember the contact patch of a 29'er is bigger than on a 26'er for the same psi so he will have more grip and would be able to bomb downhill much faster. Also the whole rolling over stuff chestnut. Science always wins...always

I know Greg well - we had a long chat about 26 vs 29 during the Roof a few years back. Let's just say he's not a great fan of the bigger wheels......

I know Greg well - we had a long chat about 26 vs 29 during the Roof a few years back. Let's just say he's not a great fan of the bigger wheels......

Unless he's on a cyclocross bike…

Edited by Tumbleweed

Boet non of my posts were seriaas....I am just over these threads. Thought we could spice it up a bit. I will use emoticons to make this clear from now on

Unless he's on a cyclocross bike…

He does like that Cyclocross bike hey - won't lie about that. I tried asking nicely for just one set from the pile of Enve carbon wheels in his garage that it wears, but no luck.....