No more 26" MTB from 2013 - is this true?

gummybear

He does like that Cyclocross bike hey - won't lie about that. I tried asking nicely for just one set from the pile of Enve carbon wheels in his garage that it wears, but no luck.....

Hahahahahaha! Yeah, he looked like he was having a jol in that vid from Karkloof!

Steal a set while he's overseas… :whistling: :clap:

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No clear definitive answers then..... rather answer it this way based on the fact that I am an complete newbie to MTB and forget 26" vs 29" should I purchase Dual suspension or Hard Tail?

You need a new LBS as that one is talking K@K ....

Also a 29'er should never be compared to a 26'er duallie!

Get a new LBS A.S.A.P

No clear definitive answers then..... rather answer it this way based on the fact that I am an complete newbie to MTB and forget 26" vs 29" should I purchase Dual suspension or Hard Tail?

If you're new to MTB, I'd say a HT is the way to go.

If the owner said that "we at <insert well known Fourways bicycle shop here> don't sell ANY 26" Continental MTB tyres off the shelf as of 2012... it could have been true

A couple of friends were having a friendly 26er-29er debate around a braai in May. Decided to put it to the test at Groenkloof 20km circuit. First round on my 2011 29er Scott Team, second round on my friend's 2010 26er Giant Anthem X2. The result , 2min 26sec faster on the 26er. I am ashamed that I fell for the marketing BS.

Tit for tat, go with your heart.

Cycling long distance on dirt roads is just that, mountain biking is XC :D

You obviously seriously confused !!!!!

Or there was no air in the 26ers tyres but what you are saying is impossible !!

It is all down to the middle man. I know for a fact I can't replace my 26inch merida carbon hard tail in 2013 range as they said not bringing them into the country. I had to get an insurance quote for my yearly update and that is what the merida agents emailed back, only 29er carbon hardtails bikes. Seems only in SA we are starting to have this problem. I found out that the tires my GF has on they will no longer be bringing the 26inch ones into the country only 29er from now on and they have no 26inch stock left. Damn these middle men they are the ones controlling what size of wheel we use. So for R90 shipping fee I turned to CRC and got the tires I required............. :clap:

So what happens to the people like myself that have bought a 26" frame and may need to make a warrenty claim, do I get given a 29er instead, how will that work exactly if they are not making 26" frames anymore?

True mountain bikers are out on the trails honing their skills, pushing the limits of their endurance, while the posers are at coffee shops discussing which wheel size is best :ph34r:

+100000000000000000000000

I have no idea but I have had to change my insurance so it now says what bike i have and then says replacement as per importers is the team carbon 29er. Guess i won't be buying another merida again. Trouble is if you accpet a warrenty claim and they give you a 29er then you would have to pay for the wheels and fork to be changed.......... This was just for the Hardtail frames. I would imagine they will still supply the merida duel sus in 26 inch although I am not sure I would want a 99 frame to replace my 96 frame

I have no idea but I have had to change my insurance so it now says what bike i have and then says replacement as per importers is the team carbon 29er. Guess i won't be buying another merida again. Trouble is if you accpet a warrenty claim and they give you a 29er then you would have to pay for the wheels and fork to be changed.......... This was just for the Hardtail frames. I would imagine they will still supply the merida duel sus in 26 inch although I am not sure I would want a 99 frame to replace my 96 frame

Its a bit of a cause for concern actually, will need to check with my LBS where I got my frame and with my insurance company

You obviously seriously confused !!!!!

Or there was no air in the 26ers tyres but what you are saying is impossible !!

Not confused, simply man enough to admit that on that particular track, 26er were the winner.

If there "was no air in the 26ers tyres" and it still was faster - does it not support the particular point?

Whatever you believe to be impossible - will be impossible.

Tit for tat - there exist not a clear resolution to the debate

Not confused, simply man enough to admit that on that particular track, 26er were the winner.

If there "was no air in the 26ers tyres" and it still was faster - does it not support the particular point?

Whatever you believe to be impossible - will be impossible.

Tit for tat - there exist not a clear resolution to the debate

I was just puling your leg.

I know somebody who did the same test at Rietvlei and they got very similar results.

They did 3 laps and the total time of the 26er was faster than the 29er.

But please don't tell anybody as I'll probably get flamed :ph34r: :ph34r:

Seems only in SA we are starting to have this problem.

And Switzerland... My LBS told me no 2013 26er Specialized S Works XC or XCM bikes next year (Men's sizes, not sure about ladies sizes)

At least it makes the 26 vs 29 decison easier...