Post your Pyga

PYGA1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Fox 32 at 100mm travel is ok for marathon, but head angle feels a bit steep sometimes.

110 would probably be better, but wouldn't recommend the Revelation for marathons, bit heavy. Reba, Sid or Fox 32 at 110 or 120 would be my recommendations.

Yeah dude my "marathon" orientated mate got a Reba at 120mm and he is not looking back at all. If it bobs a little too much just add some air.

Having a bit more travel will only make it that more fun on the downhill bits...

Also, won't hurt climbing that much. I was riding with an oke on a Santa Cruz who went on about how his bike "climbs a lot better than the PYGA"...so I blasted past him on the climb back up from the Cobra at Hoogekraal  and Contermanskloof  :)

post-45256-0-28782100-1453444427_thumb.jpg

So. I would like some thoughts on a stem for the XL Stage Max. It came with the same stem as the large. I'm tall. Probably slightly taller than the intended fit for the XL. I feel like I could use another 20mm on the stem (it's currently a 50mm). Any thoughts on handling?

If it's required for you to actually fit properly on the bike, then it shouldn't matter seeing that you don't really have a choice.

You can also consider a setback seatpost/dropper.

Nobody likes a stem debate. They belong in the wheelsize and pedal type debate box.

If it's required for you to actually fit properly on the bike, then it shouldn't matter seeing that you don't really have a choice.

Nobody likes a stem debate. They belong in the wheelsize and pedal type debate box.

And wider bars, don't forget the wider bars ;)

Sure. I guess I'm wondering if the stem length being the same on all sizes makes "sense". I'm probably going to get a more educated guess at if it's needed after a fitting...

Yes it makes sense because the front geometry and front wheel offset is the same/similar along the range (managed by the bars+stem). So all the bikes from S to XL should have the same characteristics.

Being super tall sounds rough.

Edited by MarcBurger

Yes it makes sense because the front geometry and front wheel offset is the same/similar along the range (managed by the bars+stem). So all the bikes from S to XL should have the same characteristics.

Being super tall sounds rough.

Very rough.

Sure. I guess I'm wondering if the stem length being the same on all sizes makes "sense". I'm probably going to get a more educated guess at if it's needed after a fitting...

How wide are your bars currently, Dom?

EDIT: You know my views on stem length. In my opinion though, I hold that a 70mm stem is still acceptable in extreme cases. Nothing more than that, though. Maybe try a 60mm stem for starters - KCNC do ones for cheap cheap - R 300 per or something, so the outlay won't be that high when you're still fiddling. Buy the stem for cheap, then see if it works. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

How wide are your bars currently, Dom?

EDIT: You know my views on stem length. In my opinion though, I hold that a 70mm stem is still acceptable in extreme cases. Nothing more than that, though. Maybe try a 60mm stem for starters - KCNC do ones for cheap cheap - R 300 per or something, so the outlay won't be that high when you're still fiddling. Buy the stem for cheap, then see if it works. 

Currently running a KORE Mega riser 760mm (That's what it came with).

Currently running a KORE Mega riser 760mm (That's what it came with).

How much of a rise?

And yeah, slightly wider bars would work. Also maybe a bar with less of a sweep. I've just changed to a Rapide bar from my stock giant. It's got a 4deg larger sweep, and that translates to a 36mm difference in hand location. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I agree with Myles. A slightly wider bar will pull you open and more forward if you have relatively wide shoulders too. So maybe 780mm and 60mm could work for you.

FTR I run 800mm and 50mm  :w00t:

I'm 1.73m and 50mm stem with 765 mm bars is defo the sweet spot for me on the Medium OneTwenty (and on my old Spaz Enduro).

If you're that tall 760 may be a bit narrow. I had 780's but that was just ever so slightly uncomfortable.

The wider bar definitely makes the cockpit feel a little longer.

I missed how tall you are by the way?

My friend who's 1.95 swears by his 800 after coming from 640's he immediately wondered why he ever rode narrow bars.