Post your Pyga

PYGA1

Maybe a little lighter.  Have not been able to ride it yet, that will probably take away the slight disappointment about the weight

Yeah don't stress it man, you're much more likely to be blown away than dissapointed once you ride it. Loads of 110's used in the Epic which wouldn't be the case if they rode heavy.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is 13.5kg's.

Magic Mary's are bulky tyres, so I could probably shave a few grams if I went for something lighter.

T

What wheel set do you have?

and the Jhb2C.

G

Yeah don't stress it man, you're much more likely to be blown away than dissapointed once you ride it. Loads of 110's used in the Epic which wouldn't be the case if they rode heavy.

Nice light build. Were you hoping it would weigh less? That's a decent wight for a 110. Frame is focussed on stiffness rather than feathery weight.

Good component spec. Your tyre choice is heavy and you could save 400g there quite easily at the expense of some reliability. My Spez rubber with control casings was more than 400g lighter than the 2.25 LUST Ardents it replaced and has lasted 18 months with no major issues except lots of sidewall weeping. Also the dropper costs you another 400g compared to a carbon post....but who would want to lose the dropper on that kind of bike. You could also save some weight on the cranks but at a price. Everything else is already quite light considering the bike's purpose.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good component spec. Your tyre choice is heavy and you could save 400g there quite easily at the expense of some reliability. My Spez rubber with control casings was more than 400g lighter than the 2.25 LUST Ardents it replaced and has lasted 18 months with no major issues except lots of sidewall weeping. Also the dropper costs you another 400g compared to a carbon post....but who would want to lose the dropper on that kind of bike. You could also save some weight on the cranks but at a price. Everything else is already quite light considering the bike's purpose.

I wouldn't have traded my Ardent 2.4's and dropper post on the epic for any weight saving.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

As a front tyre...

Consider the Vitori GOMA... it's a lovely wide 2.4, run nice low pressure.

a friend used my wheelset the past weekend at the Nissan Trailseeker/Calinan and she said she loved how the tyre kept traction and direction even going through the soft sand (just floated over).

while others were pushing.

G

I wouldn't have traded my Ardent 2.4's and dropper post on the epic for any weight saving.

I've heard the Ardent 2.4s are much better but the 2.25s I have aren't nearly as good as the Spez Purgatory/Ground Control combo I replaced them with. Less grip, less braking, wash out in corners and slower rolling. Heavy. More expensive. Durable though.

I recently refitted the Ardents to my old bike and the 'downgrade' was immediately evident. Entered the 1st corner at normal Purgatory pace and washed out.....

I've heard the Ardent 2.4s are much better but the 2.25s I have aren't nearly as good as the Spez Purgatory/Ground Control combo I replaced them with. Less grip, less braking, wash out in corners and slower rolling. Heavy. More expensive. Durable though.

I recently refitted the Ardents to my old bike and the 'downgrade' was immediately evident. Entered the 1st corner at normal Purgatory pace and washed out.....

This correct. 2.25's are OK at the back, but I don't love them in front. Also, that spez rubber is pretty nice to ride on. I just got too many unrepairable punctures on them.

Again, look at the Vitori GOMA 2.4's, they're actually the old GEAX GOMA's.

GEAX was bought by Vitori earlier this year, or late last year.

G

This correct. 2.25's are OK at the back, but I don't love them in front. Also, that spez rubber is pretty nice to ride on. I just got too many unrepairable punctures on them.

Might go with narrower front next time as my the AC Wide Lightnings makes the 2.4 Ardent very wide.  Maybe a 2.35 Ikon

My OneTen weighs in at 13.6kg's. I Don't have a dropper on it, the weigt penalty come's from my wheel setup. I Use Mavic Crossmax XL wheels with a Crossmax Quest 2.35 on the rear and a Onza Ibex 2.4 on the front. I Prefer the larger volume tyres for two reasons. First, a lot of my riding is in sandy areas and second, I weigh 100kg's and the ride is super cumfy with 20psi pressure. They are also bomb proof so I don't mind the little extra weight.

Just a small update. My first ride with my new OneTen was on 9 August. I Have since recorded 1040km's with zero problems or hickups. Awsome bike ! Dispite not being the lightest ride at 13.6kg's I have done a couple of 65-70km rides fairly easy with my avg level of fitness. I Started out with with a 34t chainring but suffered a litle on the realy steep and long climbs. Changed it to a 32t (11-42 cassette) and now ride anywhere no worries. Only thing I am considdering to change is the wheels. The Crossmax XL's are verry tough and actually intended for enduro racing. Thinking of buying or building a light XC style wheelset for most of the gravel grinding and keeping the XL's on standby for when I go somewhere more knarly ! Other than that......I love this bike ! Verry nice and relaxed riding position. Verry comfortable ride, the RS Pike eats up anything you throw at it and the Shimano XT M8000 (1x11) is flawless. Not the cheapest bike to build but after a couple of rides and realising the potensial of the bike, memories of the price tag soon fade away.

post-62204-0-64630700-1480330174_thumb.jpg

post-62204-0-88240000-1480330184_thumb.jpg

Just a small update. My first ride with my new OneTen was on 9 August. I Have since recorded 1040km's with zero problems or hickups. Awsome bike ! Dispite not being the lightest ride at 13.6kg's I have done a couple of 65-70km rides fairly easy with my avg level of fitness. I Started out with with a 34t chainring but suffered a litle on the realy steep and long climbs. Changed it to a 32t (11-42 cassette) and now ride anywhere no worries. Only thing I am considdering to change is the wheels. The Crossmax XL's are verry tough and actually intended for enduro racing. Thinking of buying or building a light XC style wheelset for most of the gravel grinding and keeping the XL's on standby for when I go somewhere more knarly ! Other than that......I love this bike ! Verry nice and relaxed riding position. Verry comfortable ride, the RS Pike eats up anything you throw at it and the Shimano XT M8000 (1x11) is flawless. Not the cheapest bike to build but after a couple of rides and realising the potensial of the bike, memories of the price tag soon fade away.

12 500km on mine...just as happy now as when I bought it 18 months ago. Ride this bike everywhere. Stage races included, never even think about the weight.

HI Pyga folks, I've got a quick technical query. 

I'm looking at servicing the headset on my pascoe, which is the cane creek tapered headset as per specs on pyga website. I'm beginning to get a slight creak from the headset, which has to date not been serviced since purchase.  I've watched a few videos on servicing headsets on youtube but I'm getting some additional opinions here. 

Any strong opinions regarding the grease I should be using? Similarly, degreasing and/or cleaning? Any common pitfalls in the procedure? Seem fairly easy from what I've seen online so far. 

Thanks