Post your Pyga

PYGA1

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so this is it then for the Pyga One Ten. I have chosen the following and would really appreciated your comments....

2015 White Frame and Monarch rear shock, Cane Creek headset          

Rockshox Revelation RCT 130mm fork                                                         

SRAM XO1 Drivetrain Grip-shift                                                                        

X1 Crank set and cluster (1 x 11)

2015 Formula RX Brakes                                                                                     

WTB KOM rims + Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs

Oozy Trail stem 75mm                                                                                                                             

Spank Spoon 5mm bar

Pro Koryak seat post offset

Saddle Fizik Tundra 2

Tyres Conti X king Protection 2.4/Mountain King II Protection 2.4

No need to tar and feather me about the seat post....dropper may be added at a later stage.

I have paid for most of the above now, just gotta dot the i's and cross the t's.

Be gentle :whistling:

Welcome!

Fork: Bibi introduced me to the MRP Stage fork. Being the pedantic person that I am, I have read every last review on it, and I will definitely be heading that way shortly from my Revelation.

Tyres: shop around a bit - Spaz Butchers are incredible. They stick like S**t on the road, but do the trick on dirt and are pretty cheap.

Seat Post: Your bike needs a dropper.... And so do you..

Stem: Your bike needs a shorter one. I've just dropped to a 50mm and the handling is unbelievable.

Tom

Welcome!

Fork: Bibi introduced me to the MRP Stage fork. Being the pedantic person that I am, I have read every last review on it, and I will definitely be heading that way shortly from my Revelation.

Tyres: shop around a bit - Spaz Butchers are incredible. They stick like S**t on the road, but do the trick on dirt and are pretty cheap.

Seat Post: Your bike needs a dropper.... And so do you..

Stem: Your bike needs a shorter one. I've just dropped to a 50mm and the handling is unbelievable.

Tom

Hey Tom

Thanks for that. Why you moving away from the Revelation?

What stem length were you on before 50mm?

I've had the internals of my Revelation replaced 4 times in a year - all of this was under warranty (and the service I received with the warranty claims was brilliant).

I presume that there must have been a faulty batch along the way, as I've had no issue since last April.

Because of the problems, my plan was to replace it with the Pike, but was shown the MRP and it looks like a fantastic piece of kit.

Had a 70mm stem - it is very good, but I wanted a more relaxed riding position and the shorter stem definitely gives that and a lot more fun factor (I have come to the conclusion that I am not poll position material so will stay in my allocated postion at the back of every race, and absolutely enjoy every minute of it. ).

Tom

There's a hubber selling new Pikes in the classifieds for R9k and a step up from that is the MRP Stage from Bibi, both of which are priced from those guys at amazing rates. I'd lean on the side of the US made MRP with some pretty nifty features the Pike doesn't have, never mind the support from Bibi.

Ok, so this is it then for the Pyga One Ten. I have chosen the following and would really appreciated your comments....

2015 White Frame and Monarch rear shock, Cane Creek headset

Rockshox Revelation RCT 130mm fork

SRAM XO1 Drivetrain Grip-shift

X1 Crank set and cluster (1 x 11)

2015 Formula RX Brakes

WTB KOM rims + Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs

Oozy Trail stem 75mm

Spank Spoon 5mm bar

Pro Koryak seat post offset

Saddle Fizik Tundra 2

Tyres Conti X king Protection 2.4/Mountain King II Protection 2.4

No need to tar and feather me about the seat post....dropper may be added at a later stage.

I have paid for most of the above now, just gotta dot the i's and cross the t's.

Be gentle :whistling:

Your component selection sounds excellent. I will not change a single item in that list. Just make sure you use good quality spokes and brass nipples, as well as a good wheel builder.

I have been using a Revelation fork with QR and 150mm travel for more than 4 years now without any problems. I ride trails with many technical features as well as XCO and XCM events. The revelation has great performance, light weight and maintenance is s breeze.

It is a great move to build up a bike like this, light enough for XC yet burly and confidence inspiring for aggressive trail riding. I have been using one light trail bike for all my riding since the end of 2010.

I've had the internals of my Revelation replaced 4 times in a year - all of this was under warranty (and the service I received with the warranty claims was brilliant).I presume that there must have been a faulty batch along the way, as I've had no issue since last April.Because of the problems, my plan was to replace it with the Pike, but was shown the MRP and it looks like a fantastic piece of kit.Had a 70mm stem - it is very good, but I wanted a more relaxed riding position and the shorter stem definitely gives that and a lot more fun factor (I have come to the conclusion that I am not poll position material so will stay in my allocated postion at the back of every race, and absolutely enjoy every minute of it. ).Tom

Thanks Tom, wow it sounds like you were really just unlucky with the Rev fork unless you just rode it like a man possessed. I've never heard of such bad luck with that fork, mostly the opposite. Also seen some good stuff about the MRP.

I'm coming from a Trek Superfly with a 110 stem so I thought I wont go to extreme. I like what you say as im also no podium contender and am looking for the more relaxed riding posotion.....will let the fitting and testing sort out those details though.

Grant

Your component selection sounds excellent. I will not change a single item in that list. Just make sure you use good quality spokes and brass nipples, as well as a good wheel builder.I have been using a Revelation fork with QR and 150mm travel for more than 4 years now without any problems. I ride trails with many technical features as well as XCO and XCM events. The revelation has great performance, light weight and maintenance is s breeze.It is a great move to build up a bike like this, light enough for XC yet burly and confidence inspiring for aggressive trail riding. I have been using one light trail bike for all my riding since the end of 2010.

Thanks a mil and cheers on your comments on the components. Sounds like we're in a similar "boat" and I do really enjoy my XCM events as well as the more technical stuff....hence the build choice. It's gotta be a good all rounder!

I Have a pike on my pascoe and its awesome to say the least . Tmw am going to ride a mate's bike with a mrp on it . Gonna ride both bikes back to back same course to see if we can differentiate between the 2 forks. average riders not some talented journo pushing the limits.Should be interesting .

I Have a pike on my pascoe and its awesome to say the least . Tmw am going to ride a mate's bike with a mrp on it . Gonna ride both bikes back to back same course to see if we can differentiate between the 2 forks. average riders not some talented journo pushing the limits.Should be interesting .

Great, enjoy. Please give feedback, would be nice to see what the "mere mortals" have to say as opposed to Mr multi talented journo.

NB......no disrespect to the mere mortals in any way!

Pardon the O/T, but why did Mr Morewood decide to name his bike company "Pyga"?  I Googled the word and did not much like what I found in a Wikipedia article about a sea urchin: ""Astropyga" comes from ancient Greekastro meaning "star" and pyga "anus""   :eek:

Pardon the O/T, but why did Mr Morewood decide to name his bike company "Pyga"?  I Googled the word and did not much like what I found in a Wikipedia article about a sea urchin: ""Astropyga" comes from ancient Greekastro meaning "star" and pyga "anus""   :eek:

The story I heard is that it means "Hello Patrick" in  one of the local Thai dialects / Cantonese ....

...not sure if this is fact ... just urban legend perhaps?

The story I heard is that it means "Hello Patrick" in  one of the local Thai dialects / Cantonese ....

...not sure if this is fact ... just urban legend perhaps?

+1